Workgroup computer not accesable - Network

This is a discussion on Workgroup computer not accesable - Network ; I added a new computer to my simple home network: cable modem, linksys 4 port router, linksys access point, 1 desktop wired, 2 laptops wireless, and now the new desktop with a usb wireless adapter. I set up the workgroup ...

  1. Workgroup computer not accesable

    I added a new computer to my simple home network: cable modem, linksys 4
    port router, linksys access point, 1 desktop wired, 2 laptops wireless,
    and now the new desktop with a usb wireless adapter. I set up the
    workgroup on all to be "WORKGROUP" and named the new desktop BigSony.
    The network sees the BigSony, but says I may not have permission and
    it's not accessable.

    What do I need to do on BigSony to get permission to have it be
    accesable on my network? Thanks.

    David A.

  2. Re: Workgroup computer not accesable

    If 'BigSony' is a new PC with Windows /w SP2, you might check its
    built-in firewall settings. If it is not a firewall issue, try
    creating a shared folder on BigSony. Set the permissions to be wide
    open at first, then choke them down as needed. You could also try
    mapping a network drive to a drive or folder on BigSony. From what
    I've seen, this is almost always a permissions issue. If you are
    having trouble setting permissions: Goto My Computer > Tools > Folder
    options. On the 'view' tab, scroll down and uncheck the 'Use Simple
    File Sharing' checkbox. Im assuming BigSony is running XP.

    -Joe

+ Reply to Thread