Wireless Network help - Network

This is a discussion on Wireless Network help - Network ; I have recently established a home network. At present there are only 2 computers with access; my desktop and a laptop, both running Windows XP Home Edition. I am using a LinkSys WRT54G wireless router behind a cable modem and ...

  1. Wireless Network help

    I have recently established a home network. At present there are
    only 2 computers with access; my desktop and a laptop, both running
    Windows XP Home Edition.

    I am using a LinkSys WRT54G wireless router behind a cable modem and
    have a LinkSys wireless adapter installed in the laptop.

    The desktop is hardwire-connected to the router using an ethernet
    patch cord. The laptop connects using the wireless adapter.

    Installation of both LinkSys devices went smoothly using the setup
    disks provided.

    I can connect and surf the Internet with either machine.

    I have file and printer sharing enabled on both machines.

    From either machine, I can access the shared folders and successfully
    perform all normal file operations, UNTIL I try to create or copy a
    large file (> 10 Meg or so) across the wireless interface.

    When I try to do this, the operation starts normally and I can see
    that data is being transferred across the wireless interface by
    observing the lights in the wireless connection icon in the system
    tray. In just a few seconds, data transmittal stops (the icon lights
    go out) and a few seconds later I get the error message: "The
    specified network name is no longer available".

    However, I have found that when I hard-wire connect the Laptop to one
    of the 4 ports on the back of the router instead of using the
    wireless interface, the creation and/or copying of the large files is
    accomplished without incident.

    LinkSys support has been absolutely zero help resolving the problem!

    If anyone here has encountered this problem and is aware of a fix;
    that information would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    C.

  2. Re: Wireless Network help

    Have you updated the LInksys box to the latest firmware?

  3. Re: Wireless Network help

    How is your connection when you attempt the transfer? I have pretty much
    the same setup, and I have no problems at all transfering big files across.
    I have noticed when I am on the other end of my house, when my connection is
    on "Low" I tend to drop the network more often. That is the only thing I
    can think of is that you are dropping your connection. Could be some
    interference.
    I agree with the other post, upgrade your firmware, I am on the latest with
    mine.

    Shane

    "C." wrote in message
    >I have recently established a home network. At present there are
    > only 2 computers with access; my desktop and a laptop, both running
    > Windows XP Home Edition.
    >
    > I am using a LinkSys WRT54G wireless router behind a cable modem and
    > have a LinkSys wireless adapter installed in the laptop.
    >
    > The desktop is hardwire-connected to the router using an ethernet
    > patch cord. The laptop connects using the wireless adapter.
    >
    > Installation of both LinkSys devices went smoothly using the setup
    > disks provided.
    >
    > I can connect and surf the Internet with either machine.
    >
    > I have file and printer sharing enabled on both machines.
    >
    > From either machine, I can access the shared folders and successfully
    > perform all normal file operations, UNTIL I try to create or copy a
    > large file (> 10 Meg or so) across the wireless interface.
    >
    > When I try to do this, the operation starts normally and I can see
    > that data is being transferred across the wireless interface by
    > observing the lights in the wireless connection icon in the system
    > tray. In just a few seconds, data transmittal stops (the icon lights
    > go out) and a few seconds later I get the error message: "The
    > specified network name is no longer available".
    >
    > However, I have found that when I hard-wire connect the Laptop to one
    > of the 4 ports on the back of the router instead of using the
    > wireless interface, the creation and/or copying of the large files is
    > accomplished without incident.
    >
    > LinkSys support has been absolutely zero help resolving the problem!
    >
    > If anyone here has encountered this problem and is aware of a fix;
    > that information would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > C.

  4. Re: Wireless Network help

    "Snowboard3r" wrote in

    > How is your connection when you attempt the transfer? I have

    pretty
    > much the same setup, and I have no problems at all transfering big
    > files across. I have noticed when I am on the other end of my

    house,
    > when my connection is on "Low" I tend to drop the network more

    often.
    > That is the only thing I can think of is that you are dropping your
    > connection. Could be some interference.
    > I agree with the other post, upgrade your firmware, I am on the

    latest
    > with mine.
    >
    > Shane

    Thanks for the suggestions!

    The LinkSys box has the latest firmware update; first thing I did
    after
    setup!

    Signal strength shows to be mximum (their term is "excellent" as I
    recall). During the testing I've done, the laptop was located within
    10'of the router.

    C.

  5. Re: Wireless Network help

    I'm not sure how much this will help, but if you
    can capture a packet trace (using a tool like
    etheral), it might give you some idea of what
    happened. Sounds like a firmware issue to me,
    though there just may be something else going
    on.

    Cheers,

  6. Re: Wireless Network help

    C. , I have essentially the identical hardware and architecture tha
    you've described, and have exactly the same symptoms and problem

    Only differences are that I'm more than 20 feet away up two stories an
    routinely connect with "low" signal strength. However, I hav
    downloaded large files from the internet, and only really experienc
    the problem when copying large files from a file share on the hardwire
    computer to the wireless laptop

    I've scanned the internet, and there are MANY posts with this (or ver
    similar) symptoms, and I have yet to find a resolution. Have you eve
    corrected your problem?

    I happened upon your post via google search, so please reply to m
    through e-mail if you have a solution. (birthb@adelphia.net). Thanks

    --
    birth
    brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com