Direct Cable Connection - Network

This is a discussion on Direct Cable Connection - Network ; First, I have no experience with this sort of thing, so I could really use some help! I am trying to transfer some files from an old Win95 machine to an XP machine. I have set things up between the ...

  1. Direct Cable Connection

    First, I have no experience with this sort of thing, so I could really use
    some help!

    I am trying to transfer some files from an old Win95 machine to an XP
    machine. I have set things up between the two using a direct cable
    connection between the LPT1 ports on each machine. I followed the
    instructions on the following site as best as I was able to.

    http://lpt.usbfireinfo.com/Support/D.../dcc-setup.htm

    After doing this, I AM able to use my XP machine and connect to the Win95
    machine. That worked great! However I am totally UNABLE to map a drive. I
    keep getting a message saying that it cannot find the computer name (or
    something to that effect). To the best of my knowledge, I am certain that I
    am using the correct computer name, and am using the correct mapping syntax.
    (E.g., \\computername\c)

    What am I missing? Any ideas?

    Thank you,
    Randy Seys

  2. Re: Direct Cable Connection

    It would be much easier to use a cross-over cable if both machines have
    network interface cards.

    Is this possible?

    Ray

+ Reply to Thread