Hardwire to wireless... - Network

This is a discussion on Hardwire to wireless... - Network ; I have a D-Link DI-704 with 3 computers attached. Is there hardware I can attach to an open wan port to transmit a wireless signal, or should I just replace the router with a wireless? Thanks. Joe...

  1. Hardwire to wireless...

    I have a D-Link DI-704 with 3 computers attached. Is there hardware I can
    attach to an open wan port to transmit a wireless signal, or should I just
    replace the router with a wireless? Thanks.
    Joe

  2. Re: Hardwire to wireless...

    Is that a router or a layer 2 switch?

  3. Re: Hardwire to wireless...

    Joe C wrote:

    > I have a D-Link DI-704 with 3 computers attached. Is there hardware I can
    > attach to an open wan port to transmit a wireless signal, or should I just
    > replace the router with a wireless? Thanks.
    > Joe

    If I understand correctly, you just want to add wi-fi to an existing
    wired LAN. You just need a ethernet to wi-fi access point (AP). The
    advantage is you can place the AP where ever you want it (assuming you
    can get a ethernet cable to it.) On my network it would be very
    un-handy to have my wi-fi close to the router and cable modem. In fact
    it would be very un-handy to have the wi-fi in the same building as the
    router. I have a AP on the end of a ethernet cable and it works fine.

    John

  4. Re: Hardwire to wireless...

    Right from the owners manual, it's a:

    "D-Link DI-704 Cable/DSL Internet Gateway w/Built-in 4-Port Switch"

    Does this help?
    Thanks,
    Joe

    "pizzy" wrote in message
    news:1110593045.276603.169140@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
    > Is that a router or a layer 2 switch?

  5. Re: Hardwire to wireless...

    You would want to add a wireless access point to your network, but you could
    not plug it into a WAN port. You would have to plug it into one of the 4
    Ethernet ports on the router. The WAN port is only for connecting to your
    DSL/Cable modem.

    Robert...

    "Joe C" wrote in message
    >I have a D-Link DI-704 with 3 computers attached. Is there hardware I can
    > attach to an open wan port to transmit a wireless signal, or should I just
    > replace the router with a wireless? Thanks.
    > Joe

+ Reply to Thread