Do they make a router or hub that can limit bandwidth? - Network

This is a discussion on Do they make a router or hub that can limit bandwidth? - Network ; We have a small 12 computer network in our office. I need a way to limit the bandwidth on several computers. We share DSL as it stands. Do they make a router or any hardware device that would let me ...

  1. Do they make a router or hub that can limit bandwidth?

    We have a small 12 computer network in our office. I need a way to
    limit the bandwidth on several computers. We share DSL as it stands. Do
    they make a router or any hardware device that would let me adjust each
    computere bandwidth? Thank you.

  2. Re: Do they make a router or hub that can limit bandwidth?

    routers with Quality of Service (QoS) protocol

  3. Re: Do they make a router or hub that can limit bandwidth?

    This feature will let me adjust the amount of bandwidth to the
    computers? No looking to just have an on/off funtion. Thank you.

  4. Re: Do they make a router or hub that can limit bandwidth?

    QoS allows you to set bandwidth threasholds for applications. This is a
    reverved space on the wire for traffic, and does not enforce either on
    or off connectivity. For example, if you have VOIP traffic on your
    network and you want to ensure bandwidth availability, you can set a
    policy to reserve bandwith for this particular application. You should
    look at a manageable switch like Extreme Networks .com.

  5. Re: Do they make a router or hub that can limit bandwidth?

    On 11 Mar 2005 08:57:16 -0800, ephedralover@hotmail.com wrote:

    >We have a small 12 computer network in our office. I need a way to
    >limit the bandwidth on several computers. We share DSL as it stands. Do
    >they make a router or any hardware device that would let me adjust each
    >computere bandwidth? Thank you.

    I've got a netgear router. I can put in i/p addresses and allow or not
    allow internet access, instant messenger etc in the router
    configuration. I can even set a time schedule to allow and not allow.
    It's easy if you use static i/p addresses to allow. This will prevent
    the user from changing his/her address looking for an open one. I'm
    guessing that any modern router will do this. Mine was cheap.
    Butterfield

  6. Re: Do they make a router or hub that can limit bandwidth?

    This is an either on or off feature. Which is still pretty cool.

  7. Re: Do they make a router or hub that can limit bandwidth?

    Thanks, but I need some sort of bandwidthg valve. Something I can let
    an IP only have say 10% of our bandwidth while others can have say 50%
    and so on.

  8. Re: Do they make a router or hub that can limit bandwidth?

    Yes and this is done through QoS.

+ Reply to Thread