Can access network drive but can't open files. - Network

This is a discussion on Can access network drive but can't open files. - Network ; Hi, At work we are running Windows 2000 Server. On this we have a public drive, shared by all users in the company holding information on employees. We have a machine which links directly to the bank to process wages. ...

  1. Can access network drive but can't open files.

    Hi,
    At work we are running Windows 2000 Server. On this we have a
    public drive, shared by all users in the company holding information
    on employees. We have a machine which links directly to the bank to
    process wages. In order to do this though, our wages clerk needs to
    update the contents of an employee wages Access 2000 db, residing on
    the mentioned public drive.
    When we try to open the said database, and any other applications
    like Excel, Word, or even Notepad, an error appears telling us that
    there has either been a Network or Disk Error (Access) or that files
    are read only, or that files path names are invalid and can't be
    found. In short, we can see the drive content but can't open any of
    the files. When we do try to open files, the CPU usage runs at 100%
    and doesn't come back down unless you use task manager to end tasks.
    I've tried to do the following things in the hope that they'd help but
    none have worked:
    1) Reinstall network card drivers.
    2) Use a new network card.
    3) Reinstall TCP/IP.
    4) Ran 3 spyware detectors.
    5) Remapped the mentioned public drive. Using the full and correct
    route.
    6) Changed the actual network connections and cat5 cabling.
    7) Changed the leads into the switch in our server cupboard.

    It's getting to the stage where it's frustrating.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Tom.

  2. Re: Can access network drive but can't open files.

    Ok...did you actually check the permissions on the files/users? Are they
    set as read only on the server? Have you ran a wire map to see if you have
    bad cable? Checked the duplex speeds of the switch/router/nic card?

    Shane

    "Tom McMaster" wrote in message
    news:bb980339.0503110306.399e909f@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi,
    > At work we are running Windows 2000 Server. On this we have a
    > public drive, shared by all users in the company holding information
    > on employees. We have a machine which links directly to the bank to
    > process wages. In order to do this though, our wages clerk needs to
    > update the contents of an employee wages Access 2000 db, residing on
    > the mentioned public drive.
    > When we try to open the said database, and any other applications
    > like Excel, Word, or even Notepad, an error appears telling us that
    > there has either been a Network or Disk Error (Access) or that files
    > are read only, or that files path names are invalid and can't be
    > found. In short, we can see the drive content but can't open any of
    > the files. When we do try to open files, the CPU usage runs at 100%
    > and doesn't come back down unless you use task manager to end tasks.
    > I've tried to do the following things in the hope that they'd help but
    > none have worked:
    > 1) Reinstall network card drivers.
    > 2) Use a new network card.
    > 3) Reinstall TCP/IP.
    > 4) Ran 3 spyware detectors.
    > 5) Remapped the mentioned public drive. Using the full and correct
    > route.
    > 6) Changed the actual network connections and cat5 cabling.
    > 7) Changed the leads into the switch in our server cupboard.
    >
    > It's getting to the stage where it's frustrating.
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    > Tom.

+ Reply to Thread