Finding IP Address - Network

This is a discussion on Finding IP Address - Network ; Im on a network behind a Linksys router. I would like to be able to take calls via Netmeeting. When I open a command window and type IP Config it gives me my internal IP address how so I get ...

  1. Finding IP Address

    Im on a network behind a Linksys router. I would like to be able to
    take calls via Netmeeting. When I open a command window and type IP
    Config it gives me my internal IP address how so I get the IP address
    that my internet provider has given me
    Nikki

  2. Re: Finding IP Address

    Nikki wrote:

    > Im on a network behind a Linksys router. I would like to be able to
    > take calls via Netmeeting. When I open a command window and type IP
    > Config it gives me my internal IP address how so I get the IP address
    > that my internet provider has given me
    > Nikki

    You can generally find that in your router.

    Otherwise, go here: http://www.whatismyip.com/

  3. Re: Finding IP Address

    Jerry Park wrote:
    > Nikki wrote:
    >
    >> Im on a network behind a Linksys router. I would like to be able to
    >> take calls via Netmeeting. When I open a command window and type IP
    >> Config it gives me my internal IP address how so I get the IP address
    >> that my internet provider has given me
    >> Nikki

    > You can generally find that in your router.
    >
    > Otherwise, go here: http://www.whatismyip.com/

    Thanks
    I found that
    So my DSL modem supplies the router with an IP to the Internet and the
    router supples my computer with an internal ip address. When someone
    using netmeeting I assume they use the ip of the router then how is the
    call directed to my computer behind the router
    Nikki

  4. Re: Finding IP Address

    Nikki wrote:

    > Jerry Park wrote:
    >
    >> Nikki wrote:
    >>
    >>> Im on a network behind a Linksys router. I would like to be able to
    >>> take calls via Netmeeting. When I open a command window and type IP
    >>> Config it gives me my internal IP address how so I get the IP
    >>> address that my internet provider has given me
    >>> Nikki

    >> You can generally find that in your router.
    >>
    >> Otherwise, go here: http://www.whatismyip.com/

    > Thanks
    > I found that
    > So my DSL modem supplies the router with an IP to the Internet and the
    > router supples my computer with an internal ip address. When someone
    > using netmeeting I assume they use the ip of the router then how is
    > the call directed to my computer behind the router
    > Nikki

    I am not familiar with Netmeeting, so I can't state specifics. The ports
    uses by the program should be opened on the router and directed to the
    computer using the program. For example, if Netmeeting uses port 906 and
    is at IP 192.168.1.7, the the router would be set to forward requests to
    port 906 to IP 192.168.1.7 . The program connecting sees only the public
    address of the router.

  5. Re: Finding IP Address

    Jerry Park wrote:
    > Nikki wrote:
    >
    >> Jerry Park wrote:

    >>> You can generally find that in your router.
    >>>
    >>> Otherwise, go here: http://www.whatismyip.com/

    >> Thanks
    >> I found that
    >> So my DSL modem supplies the router with an IP to the Internet and the
    >> router supples my computer with an internal ip address. When someone
    >> using netmeeting I assume they use the ip of the router then how is
    >> the call directed to my computer behind the router
    >> Nikki

    > I am not familiar with Netmeeting, so I can't state specifics. The ports
    > uses by the program should be opened on the router and directed to the
    > computer using the program. For example, if Netmeeting uses port 906 and
    > is at IP 192.168.1.7, the the router would be set to forward requests to
    > port 906 to IP 192.168.1.7 . The program connecting sees only the public
    > address of the router.

    Thanks
    Ok I think I can do that (not sure yet how to find out what port
    Netmeeting uses)but does the router assign my computer a different IP
    every time I reboot if so would I not have to go into the router and
    change that ip every time that I reboot or plug my computer into the
    network. Is there not a way to direct the port to the name of the computer
    Nikki

  6. Re: Finding IP Address

    Nikki wrote:

    > Jerry Park wrote:
    >
    >> Nikki wrote:

    >>> Thanks
    >>> I found that
    >>> So my DSL modem supplies the router with an IP to the Internet and
    >>> the router supples my computer with an internal ip address. When
    >>> someone using netmeeting I assume they use the ip of the router then
    >>> how is the call directed to my computer behind the router
    >>> Nikki

    >> I am not familiar with Netmeeting, so I can't state specifics. The
    >> ports uses by the program should be opened on the router and directed
    >> to the computer using the program. For example, if Netmeeting uses
    >> port 906 and is at IP 192.168.1.7, the the router would be set to
    >> forward requests to port 906 to IP 192.168.1.7 . The program
    >> connecting sees only the public address of the router.

    > Thanks
    > Ok I think I can do that (not sure yet how to find out what port
    > Netmeeting uses)but does the router assign my computer a different IP
    > every time I reboot if so would I not have to go into the router and
    > change that ip every time that I reboot or plug my computer into the
    > network. Is there not a way to direct the port to the name of the
    > computer
    > Nikki

    So far as what port(s) Netmeeting uses, your router probably has built
    in selections for common programs in a section labled something like
    Virtual Servers. It may be as simple as selecting Netmeeting from a pull
    down list.

    Servers (or systems operating as a server for a particular program) are
    usually assigned a static address. Alternately, your DHCP settings in
    the router may allow assigning a particular IP to a particular MAC address.

  7. Re: Finding IP Address

    > Ok I think I can do that (not sure yet how to find out what port
    > Netmeeting uses)but does the router assign my computer a different IP

    > every time I reboot if so would I not have to go into the router and
    > change that ip every time that I reboot or plug my computer into the
    > network. Is there not a way to direct the port to the name of the

    computer

    Your machine and the router are communicating using
    a protocol called DHCP (dynamic host configuration
    protocol). As you note, your IP is dynamic and can
    change when you reboot.

    What netmeeting software do you use ? I searched
    for [netmeeting firewall] on Google and it came up
    with a few relevant links.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q158623/

    This might be useful to you.

  8. Re: Finding IP Address

    backpacker wrote:
    >>Ok I think I can do that (not sure yet how to find out what port
    >>Netmeeting uses)but does the router assign my computer a different IP

    >>every time I reboot if so would I not have to go into the router and
    >>change that ip every time that I reboot or plug my computer into the
    >>network. Is there not a way to direct the port to the name of the

    > computer
    >
    > Your machine and the router are communicating using
    > a protocol called DHCP (dynamic host configuration
    > protocol). As you note, your IP is dynamic and can
    > change when you reboot.
    >
    > What netmeeting software do you use ? I searched
    > for [netmeeting firewall] on Google and it came up
    > with a few relevant links.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q158623/
    >
    > This might be useful to you.

    A Computer behind a router is it always the same as a firewall. I have
    my firewall (at least in the router setup its disabled)disabled. I
    looked at the link thanks. It does not look easy. I think when I want
    to use netmeeting I will hook my computer right up to the DSL Its a pain
    but for me I think it would be easier. I only use the file transfer in
    Netmeeting anyway.
    Thanks Guys
    Nikki

  9. Re: Finding IP Address

    Your router is doing something called as NAT (Network
    Address Translation). Within your internal network, it
    uses private IP addresses which cannot be accessed
    from outside. For all external network accesses, it uses
    the public IP address (which you found using whatismyip.com).
    So, essentially is is doing the translation from private to
    public and vice versa.

    The firewall aspect is that folks from outside cannot access
    your machine since your machine does not have a public
    IP. But you can access the web. So, you are protected from
    hackers even if your machine is on 24/7 and at the same
    time can continue to use the web. Or in other words, you
    can open a connection to the outside world while the outside
    world cannot open a connection to your machine.

    With respect to netmeeting, the software requires you to
    do exactly that. It wants to be able to open a connection
    to your machine from outside. Not the safest thing but
    required probably by the design of the software. By
    opening up only select ports, your limiting the amount
    of exposure.

    Hooking your comp directly to the DSL is definitely an
    option though as you notice a painful one. Even though
    it is easy, it has its drawbacks. If you need
    to open up ports on your router, there should be a
    web interface by which you can do it. You should have
    access to the router's web interface. Once you know
    the ports on which netmeeting operates, it should be
    relatively easy to do the forwarding.

    Cheers,

  10. Re: Finding IP Address

    Try 'http://www.Spondoo.com' (http://www.spondoo.com/) for you