MAC Address of Wireless Router? - Network

This is a discussion on MAC Address of Wireless Router? - Network ; Hi all, I was wondering if there was a way to detemine the MAC address of a wireless wrouter without actually having access to the router. My school has setup WiFi in our dorms, but it is really weak/slow in ...

  1. MAC Address of Wireless Router?

    Hi all,

    I was wondering if there was a way to detemine the MAC address of a
    wireless wrouter without actually having access to the router.

    My school has setup WiFi in our dorms, but it is really weak/slow in my
    room. I was thinking that if I got a repeater I could put it in one of
    the rooms down the hall that had a much better signal and use it to
    amplfiy the signal in my room. The only problem is that the setup
    instructions tell you to dertermine the MAC address of the router you
    want to repeat.

    Can I find this in WinXP somwhere? Would NetStumbler help me out at
    all?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: MAC Address of Wireless Router?

    eschelj@gmail.com wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I was wondering if there was a way to detemine the MAC address of a
    >wireless wrouter without actually having access to the router.
    >
    >My school has setup WiFi in our dorms, but it is really weak/slow in my
    >room. I was thinking that if I got a repeater I could put it in one of
    >the rooms down the hall that had a much better signal and use it to
    >amplfiy the signal in my room. The only problem is that the setup
    >instructions tell you to dertermine the MAC address of the router you
    >want to repeat.
    >
    >Can I find this in WinXP somwhere? Would NetStumbler help me out at
    >all?
    >
    >Thanks!

    Netstumbler might show that.

    Here is a little freeware tool I like. It will scan a range of IP
    addresses and can provide a lot of information about active IPs:
    http://www.angryziber.com/ipscan/

  3. Re: MAC Address of Wireless Router?

    Usually a repeater does not require the MAC of an AP, but the SSID....

    Robert...

    wrote in message
    news:1109262136.527434.220860@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I was wondering if there was a way to detemine the MAC address of a
    > wireless wrouter without actually having access to the router.
    >
    > My school has setup WiFi in our dorms, but it is really weak/slow in my
    > room. I was thinking that if I got a repeater I could put it in one of
    > the rooms down the hall that had a much better signal and use it to
    > amplfiy the signal in my room. The only problem is that the setup
    > instructions tell you to dertermine the MAC address of the router you
    > want to repeat.
    >
    > Can I find this in WinXP somwhere? Would NetStumbler help me out at
    > all?
    >
    > Thanks!

  4. Re: MAC Address of Wireless Router?

    Hello,

    often there is a label at the bottom of the device...e.g. my access
    point has this...
    perhaps this is the easiest way ;-)

    Good luck!

    eschelj@gmail.com wrote in message news:<1109262136.527434.220860@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups. com>...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I was wondering if there was a way to detemine the MAC address of a
    > wireless wrouter without actually having access to the router.
    >
    > My school has setup WiFi in our dorms, but it is really weak/slow in my
    > room. I was thinking that if I got a repeater I could put it in one of
    > the rooms down the hall that had a much better signal and use it to
    > amplfiy the signal in my room. The only problem is that the setup
    > instructions tell you to dertermine the MAC address of the router you
    > want to repeat.
    >
    > Can I find this in WinXP somwhere? Would NetStumbler help me out at
    > all?
    >
    > Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread