winXP to win98SE networking problem - Network

This is a discussion on winXP to win98SE networking problem - Network ; Hi I have recently set up a new pc for my partner using winXP Now before this I had two win98SE PC's using a network and sharing the internet connection. My problem is - I have the winXP PC connecting ...

  1. winXP to win98SE networking problem

    Hi

    I have recently set up a new pc for my partner using winXP

    Now before this I had two win98SE PC's using a network and sharing the
    internet connection.

    My problem is - I have the winXP PC connecting to the internet and
    sharing its connection to the win98 machine - this works lovely,
    however although the XP machine can see and share the win98 files, the
    win98 pc can NOT see any files or share the printer on the XP
    machine???

    I followed the network wizard on the XP machine and created a disk to
    set up the win98 machine which set up the internet sharing but hasnt
    helped with the problem of the win98 machine seeing the xp files???

    Any ideas

    Rich

  2. Re: winXP to win98SE networking problem

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 23:05:52 +0000 (UTC), richard29@btinternet.com
    (Rich) wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I have recently set up a new pc for my partner using winXP
    >
    >Now before this I had two win98SE PC's using a network and sharing the
    >internet connection.
    >
    >My problem is - I have the winXP PC connecting to the internet and
    >sharing its connection to the win98 machine - this works lovely,
    >however although the XP machine can see and share the win98 files, the
    >win98 pc can NOT see any files or share the printer on the XP
    >machine???
    >
    >I followed the network wizard on the XP machine and created a disk to
    >set up the win98 machine which set up the internet sharing but hasnt
    >helped with the problem of the win98 machine seeing the xp files???
    >

    >Any ideas
    >
    >Rich

    On the WinXP machine... turn on file and print sharing in the
    properties of your network connection. Are you running a firewall on
    the XP machine? Zone Alarm? Be sure your network is in the trusted
    zone.

    Butterfield

+ Reply to Thread