Suggestions to server operative system - Network

This is a discussion on Suggestions to server operative system - Network ; Hi Everyone I'm going to build a smaller LAN in a office with 10 existing workstations and a server containing: filesharing service, print service and a backup solution. But I'm not sure what to use as operativ system in the ...

  1. Suggestions to server operative system

    Hi Everyone

    I'm going to build a smaller LAN in a office with 10 existing workstations
    and a server containing: filesharing service, print service and a backup
    solution.

    But I'm not sure what to use as operativ system in the server.

    The server operative should be secure and easy to manage.

    Today there are 10 standalone workstations containing Win XP pro which I'll
    prefer to retain as client os.

    Thanks in advance / Birger

  2. Re: Suggestions to server operative system

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:34:02 GMT, "Birger" wrote:

    >Hi Everyone
    >
    >I'm going to build a smaller LAN in a office with 10 existing workstations
    >and a server containing: filesharing service, print service and a backup
    >solution.
    >
    >But I'm not sure what to use as operativ system in the server.
    >
    >The server operative should be secure and easy to manage.
    >
    >Today there are 10 standalone workstations containing Win XP pro which I'll
    >prefer to retain as client os.
    >
    >Thanks in advance / Birger

    You can do this with a simple workgroup environment using XPpro also
    for the server. You can configure it for your needs depending on the
    load. What do you mean by "secure"? and "manage"?
    Butterfield

  3. Re: Suggestions to server operative system

    "Birger" wrote in

    > Hi Everyone
    >
    > I'm going to build a smaller LAN in a office with 10 existing
    > workstations and a server containing: filesharing service, print
    > service and a backup solution.
    >
    > But I'm not sure what to use as operativ system in the server.
    >
    > The server operative should be secure and easy to manage.
    >
    > Today there are 10 standalone workstations containing Win XP pro which
    > I'll prefer to retain as client os.
    >
    > Thanks in advance / Birger

    I would use Windows 2003 standard edition. This will give you all of the
    features that you require and is easy to administer. The interface is
    essentially the same as XP. You may also wish to investigate the Small
    Business Server package from MSFT as this incorporates a number of
    additional products and is priced attractively.

  4. Re: Suggestions to server operative system

    "Secret Squirrel" wrote in message
    news:Xns95FF64691E884secretsquirrel69yaho@216.196. 97.131...
    > "Birger" wrote in
    >
    >> Hi Everyone
    >>
    >> I'm going to build a smaller LAN in a office with 10 existing
    >> workstations and a server containing: filesharing service, print
    >> service and a backup solution.
    >>
    >> But I'm not sure what to use as operativ system in the server.
    >>
    >> The server operative should be secure and easy to manage.
    >>
    >> Today there are 10 standalone workstations containing Win XP pro which
    >> I'll prefer to retain as client os.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance / Birger
    >>

    > I would use Windows 2003 standard edition. This will give you all of the
    > features that you require and is easy to administer. The interface is
    > essentially the same as XP. You may also wish to investigate the Small
    > Business Server package from MSFT as this incorporates a number of
    > additional products and is priced attractively.

    Ok, Thanks for your advice.
    In other words you don't recommed Linux or other open/free OS.
    /Birger

  5. Re: Suggestions to server operative system

    Thanks for your reply Butterfield!

    I mean that the users should have a centralized login sytem and can easily
    change their own passwords any time on any workstation (secure and easy).

    /Birger

    "Butterfield" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:34:02 GMT, "Birger" wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Everyone
    >>
    >>I'm going to build a smaller LAN in a office with 10 existing workstations
    >>and a server containing: filesharing service, print service and a backup
    >>solution.
    >>
    >>But I'm not sure what to use as operativ system in the server.
    >>
    >>The server operative should be secure and easy to manage.
    >>
    >>Today there are 10 standalone workstations containing Win XP pro which
    >>I'll
    >>prefer to retain as client os.
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance / Birger
    >>

    > You can do this with a simple workgroup environment using XPpro also
    > for the server. You can configure it for your needs depending on the
    > load. What do you mean by "secure"? and "manage"?
    > Butterfield

  6. Re: Suggestions to server operative system

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:46:40 GMT, "Birger" wrote:

    >Thanks for your reply Butterfield!
    >
    >I mean that the users should have a centralized login sytem and can easily
    >change their own passwords any time on any workstation (secure and easy).
    >
    >/Birger

    Sounds like you need Active Directory Domain logon Authentication.
    You can only get that with Windows Server. Also you can easily
    restrict who has access to what resources with permissions and group
    policy. With so few users then like the Squirrel sez. Unless you know
    Linux, want to learn, or have somebody on your team who does then
    stick with what you know. The learning curve won't be so great.
    Butterfield

  7. Re: Suggestions to server operative system

    "Birger" wrote in news:cCJQd.17574$d5.139146
    @newsb.telia.net:

    > "Secret Squirrel" wrote in message
    > news:Xns95FF64691E884secretsquirrel69yaho@216.196. 97.131...
    >> "Birger" wrote in
    >>
    >>> Hi Everyone
    >>>
    >>> I'm going to build a smaller LAN in a office with 10 existing
    >>> workstations and a server containing: filesharing service, print
    >>> service and a backup solution.
    >>>
    >>> But I'm not sure what to use as operativ system in the server.
    >>>
    >>> The server operative should be secure and easy to manage.
    >>>
    >>> Today there are 10 standalone workstations containing Win XP pro

    which
    >>> I'll prefer to retain as client os.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance / Birger
    >>>

    >> I would use Windows 2003 standard edition. This will give you all of

    the
    >> features that you require and is easy to administer. The interface is
    >> essentially the same as XP. You may also wish to investigate the

    Small
    >> Business Server package from MSFT as this incorporates a number of
    >> additional products and is priced attractively.

    > Ok, Thanks for your advice.
    > In other words you don't recommed Linux or other open/free OS.
    > /Birger

    Linux would work fine. However, you've stated that you need it to be
    easy to use. Linux has a far steeper learning curve than Windows. For a
    small network like this, the effort is probably not warranted.

  8. Re: Suggestions to server operative system

    Ok. Thanks / Birger

    > On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:46:40 GMT, "Birger" wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks for your reply Butterfield!
    >>
    >>I mean that the users should have a centralized login sytem and can easily
    >>change their own passwords any time on any workstation (secure and easy).
    >>
    >>/Birger

    > Sounds like you need Active Directory Domain logon Authentication.
    > You can only get that with Windows Server. Also you can easily
    > restrict who has access to what resources with permissions and group
    > policy. With so few users then like the Squirrel sez. Unless you know
    > Linux, want to learn, or have somebody on your team who does then
    > stick with what you know. The learning curve won't be so great.
    > Butterfield

  9. Re: Suggestions to server operative system

    "Secret Squirrel" wrote in message
    news:Xns96008AD1CFBDFsecretsquirrel69yaho@216.196. 97.131...
    > "Birger" wrote in news:cCJQd.17574$d5.139146
    > @newsb.telia.net:
    >

    >> "Secret Squirrel" wrote in message
    >> news:Xns95FF64691E884secretsquirrel69yaho@216.196. 97.131...
    >>> "Birger" wrote in

    > which

    >>> I would use Windows 2003 standard edition. This will give you all of

    > the
    >>> features that you require and is easy to administer. The interface is
    >>> essentially the same as XP. You may also wish to investigate the

    > Small
    >>> Business Server package from MSFT as this incorporates a number of
    >>> additional products and is priced attractively.

    >> Ok, Thanks for your advice.
    >> In other words you don't recommed Linux or other open/free OS.
    >> /Birger
    >>

    > Linux would work fine. However, you've stated that you need it to be
    > easy to use. Linux has a far steeper learning curve than Windows. For a
    > small network like this, the effort is probably not warranted.

    Ok, I'm going to use Microsofts produkt.

    But, I'm a little bit curios, if you would rekommed Linux system. Which
    distrubution should I use?

    Another question is OpenBsd or NetBsd etc.. an alternetiv?

    /Birger

  10. Re: Suggestions to server operative system

    "Birger" wrote in news:Z1jRd.130705$dP1.467066
    @newsc.telia.net:

    > "Secret Squirrel" wrote in message
    > news:Xns96008AD1CFBDFsecretsquirrel69yaho@216.196. 97.131...
    >> "Birger" wrote in news:cCJQd.17574$d5.139146
    >> @newsb.telia.net:
    >>

    >>> "Secret Squirrel" wrote in message
    >>> news:Xns95FF64691E884secretsquirrel69yaho@216.196. 97.131...

    >> which

    of
    >> the

    is

    >> Small
    >>>

    >>> Ok, Thanks for your advice.
    >>> In other words you don't recommed Linux or other open/free OS.
    >>> /Birger
    >>>

    >> Linux would work fine. However, you've stated that you need it to be
    >> easy to use. Linux has a far steeper learning curve than Windows. For

    >> small network like this, the effort is probably not warranted.

    > Ok, I'm going to use Microsofts produkt.
    >
    > But, I'm a little bit curios, if you would rekommed Linux system.

    Which
    > distrubution should I use?
    >
    > Another question is OpenBsd or NetBsd etc.. an alternetiv?
    >
    > /Birger

    I'd use Mandrake, but thats just a personal preference. RedHat or any of
    the other general purpose distros would work as well.

+ Reply to Thread