File access across wifi - Network

This is a discussion on File access across wifi - Network ; I'm sorry for a repeat post but as a complete and utter newbie I didn't fully understand previous posts. I have a pc connected to a wireless router by ethernet cable. I also have a laptop with built in wifi. ...

  1. File access across wifi

    I'm sorry for a repeat post but as a complete and utter newbie I didn't
    fully understand previous posts.

    I have a pc connected to a wireless router by ethernet cable. I also
    have a laptop with built in wifi. I also have a ipaq 4150 with built in
    wifi.

    I can access internet on all devices.

    What I need to know is how to access files on my pc.

    I need step by step instructions and any commands or where I need to
    input text please explain as I really know nothing.

    My pc is as follows:
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.0
    AMD Athon xp 3000
    1 gig ddr ram
    saphire radeon 9800 pro 128mb all in one
    160 gig sata drives
    Sony CD-RW CRX300E
    Sony DVD-RW DRU-700A
    Windows XP SP2

    Belkin ADSL Modem with Built In Wireless Router (Model F5D7630-4a)

    Thanks for any help.

    --
    bulldog

  2. Re: File access across wifi

    Allow sharing access. By that I mean share a folder(s) on all computers.
    Also,
    goto network properties and check the file and printer sharing box. If
    you're
    still having trouble consult the user manual.

    --
    odb69

    "bulldog" wrote in message

    > I'm sorry for a repeat post but as a complete and utter newbie I didn't
    > fully understand previous posts.
    >
    > I have a pc connected to a wireless router by ethernet cable. I also
    > have a laptop with built in wifi. I also have a ipaq 4150 with built in
    > wifi.
    >
    > I can access internet on all devices.
    >
    > What I need to know is how to access files on my pc.
    >
    > I need step by step instructions and any commands or where I need to
    > input text please explain as I really know nothing.
    >
    > My pc is as follows:
    > Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.0
    > AMD Athon xp 3000
    > 1 gig ddr ram
    > saphire radeon 9800 pro 128mb all in one
    > 160 gig sata drives
    > Sony CD-RW CRX300E
    > Sony DVD-RW DRU-700A
    > Windows XP SP2
    >
    > Belkin ADSL Modem with Built In Wireless Router (Model F5D7630-4a)
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >

    > --
    > bulldog
    > brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com/

  3. Re: File access across wifi

    On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 19:53:47 GMT, bulldog
    wrote:

    >I'm sorry for a repeat post but as a complete and utter newbie I didn't
    >fully understand previous posts.
    >
    >I have a pc connected to a wireless router by ethernet cable. I also
    >have a laptop with built in wifi. I also have a ipaq 4150 with built in
    >wifi.
    >
    >I can access internet on all devices.
    >
    >What I need to know is how to access files on my pc.
    >
    >I need step by step instructions and any commands or where I need to
    >input text please explain as I really know nothing.
    >
    >My pc is as follows:
    >Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.0
    >AMD Athon xp 3000
    >1 gig ddr ram
    >saphire radeon 9800 pro 128mb all in one
    >160 gig sata drives
    >Sony CD-RW CRX300E
    >Sony DVD-RW DRU-700A
    >Windows XP SP2
    >
    >Belkin ADSL Modem with Built In Wireless Router (Model F5D7630-4a)
    >
    >Thanks for any help.

    This question is too broad based and would require read dedication to
    answer. Rather than reinventing the wheel go to a site such as:
    http://www.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm and learn about
    networking.

    Try running the network setup wizard (control panel, network
    connections) for starters. Be sure file sharing is on and any software
    firewalls are disabled (any problems you may have could be related to
    them). Be sure all your computers are in the same workgroup.

    Butterfield

  4. Re: File access across wifi

    On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 20:17:53 +0000 (UTC), "odb69"
    wrote:

    >If you're
    >still having trouble consult the user manual.

    LI

    (laughing internally)

    Butterfield

  5. Re: File access across wifi

    bulldog wrote:
    > I'm sorry for a repeat post but as a complete and utter newbie I didn't
    > fully understand previous posts.
    >
    > I have a pc connected to a wireless router by ethernet cable. I also
    > have a laptop with built in wifi. I also have a ipaq 4150 with built in
    > wifi.
    >
    > I can access internet on all devices.
    >
    > What I need to know is how to access files on my pc.
    >
    > I need step by step instructions and any commands or where I need to
    > input text please explain as I really know nothing.
    >
    > My pc is as follows:
    > Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.0
    > AMD Athon xp 3000
    > 1 gig ddr ram
    > saphire radeon 9800 pro 128mb all in one
    > 160 gig sata drives
    > Sony CD-RW CRX300E
    > Sony DVD-RW DRU-700A
    > Windows XP SP2
    >
    > Belkin ADSL Modem with Built In Wireless Router (Model F5D7630-4a)
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    You could also check out the exchanges between me and "Butterfield"
    right above your post. I had basically the same situation, and I got it
    to work by changing the "Enable TCP/IP".

    Incidentally, here are two links that I found enormously useful:

    http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sectio...le64-page1.php

    First, you run the Network wizard and then you make the change to enable
    TCP/IP.

    You should also try pinging your other computers (Instructions included
    in the 2nd link above).

    Whatever you do, be absolutely sure that both the XP firewalls and the
    Zone Alarm firewalls (if you have them) are disabled. It won't work
    unless you do.

    Hope that helps. Good Luck!

    Mari-Anne Ennor

  6. Re: File access across wifi

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:54:38 -0700, Mari-Anne Ennor
    wrote:

    >Whatever you do, be absolutely sure that both the XP firewalls and the
    >Zone Alarm firewalls (if you have them) are disabled.

    Great that you got it working Mari-Anne! Now enable the firewalls. If
    you have networking problems then you know that there is a
    configuration issue with them. Your home network range needs to be in
    the trusted zone. Practice safe computing. Firewall, anti-virus,
    adware block and locker, all necessary these days if you are accessing
    the internet.
    Butterfield

  7. Re: File access across wifi

    Butterfield wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:54:38 -0700, Mari-Anne Ennor
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Whatever you do, be absolutely sure that both the XP firewalls and the
    >>Zone Alarm firewalls (if you have them) are disabled.

    > Great that you got it working Mari-Anne! Now enable the firewalls. If
    > you have networking problems then you know that there is a
    > configuration issue with them. Your home network range needs to be in
    > the trusted zone. Practice safe computing. Firewall, anti-virus,
    > adware block and locker, all necessary these days if you are accessing
    > the internet.
    > Butterfield

    Works like a charm with our two computers included in Zone Alarm's
    Trusted Zone!!

    Mari-Anne

+ Reply to Thread