Would like to use Linksys Wireless Broadband Router for File Sharing - Network

This is a discussion on Would like to use Linksys Wireless Broadband Router for File Sharing - Network ; Currently, my computer is connected to a Linksys Wireless-B Broadband Router, model 802.11b, which in turn in connected to a WireSpeed DSL modem, connecting me to the Internet. My husbandís computer is linked to my router via a Linksys Wireless-B ...

  1. Would like to use Linksys Wireless Broadband Router for File Sharing

    Currently, my computer is connected to a Linksys Wireless-B Broadband
    Router, model 802.11b, which in turn in connected to a WireSpeed DSL
    modem, connecting me to the Internet. My husbandís computer is linked
    to my router via a Linksys Wireless-B USB Network Adapter so that he,
    too, can access the Internet via the same DSL connection, and we can
    both be on the Internet at the same time.

    What do I need to do in order for us to be networked between each other
    so that he can share my files and vice versa, and so that I can share
    his printer and vice versa? For all I know, we may already be able to
    do that, but if so, I have no idea how to access his files and printer.
    I don't see any additional drives showing up in Windows Explorer
    other than my regular C:\ and D:\ drives.

    Would greatly appreciate your help.

    Mari-Anne in Montana

  2. Re: Would like to use Linksys Wireless Broadband Router for File Sharing

    enable MS file and printer sharing on both machines. right click o
    "Network Neighborhood" or "My Network Places" and choose properties.
    double-click on the network card and click properties. install Clien
    for MS Networks and File and Printer Sharing

    you can right-click on the drives and printers you'd like to share an
    choose "Sharing and Security". then you can type in " \\machine nam
    or ip\ " (no "") in the address bar and shared resources will show.
    you can also browse the network via "Network Neighborhood" or "M
    Network Places"

    if you're running Windows XP or 2000, you don't need to specify wha
    you want shared (with the exception of the printer) and just type in
    \\machine name or ip\c$ " and type in a user name and password

    --
    mikes10
    brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com

  3. Re: Would like to use Linksys Wireless Broadband Router for FileSharing

    Thanks a bunch - I will give this a try.

    Mari-Anne

  4. Re: Would like to use Linksys Wireless Broadband Router for FileSharing

    After checking, I find that my computer already has Install Client for
    MS Networks as well as File & Printer Sharing running.

    In the drive Properties > Sharing & Security > Sharing tab, I have an
    option to run the Network Installation Wizard, and when I do this, I get
    a "Spooler SubSystem App has encountered a problem and needs to close"
    message. I was able to bypass that dialog box once, and have the name
    of my network showing up in Windows Explorer. I made a setup disk for
    the other computer and installed it without any error messages. The new
    network shows up on the other computer as well. However, when I click
    on the shared network folder on my computer, I get a messages that the
    network is not accessible and that I might not have access permission.
    We get no such message when we double-click on a shared folder on my
    husband's computer.

    Can you help again?

    Mari-Anne

  5. Re: Would like to use Linksys Wireless Broadband Router for File Sharing

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:32:22 -0700, Mari-Anne Ennor
    wrote:

    >"Spooler SubSystem App has encountered a problem and needs to close"

    I got this msg on a machine yesterday. Disable ZoneAlarm.

    Butterfield

  6. Re: Would like to use Linksys Wireless Broadband Router for FileSharing

    Another great idea. Thanks, I'll try that next.

    Mari-Anne

  7. Re: Would like to use Linksys Wireless Broadband Router for FileSharing

    Nope, didn't work this time either. While the Spooler SubSystem App
    message still appeared, this time I was able to bypass it and create a
    network floppy. I even got a message that said I had successfully set
    up a network system. However, when I try to access the network, I get
    the same "Network not accessible - I might not have permission" message.

    Any more suggestions?

    Mari-Anne

  8. Re: Would like to use Linksys Wireless Broadband Router for File Sharing

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:27:48 -0700, Mari-Anne Ennor
    wrote:

    >Nope, didn't work this time either. While the Spooler SubSystem App
    >message still appeared, this time I was able to bypass it and create a
    >network floppy. I even got a message that said I had successfully set
    >up a network system. However, when I try to access the network, I get
    >the same "Network not accessible - I might not have permission" message.
    >
    >Any more suggestions?
    >
    >Mari-Anne

    Set ZoneAlarm to not start on reboot and reboot.
    Both machines? Uninstall if necessary for the time being.

    Are computers logged on as an actual user (ID and password) or local
    administrators? WinXP Win98?
    Butterfield

  9. Re: Would like to use Linksys Wireless Broadband Router for FileSharing

    Butterfield wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:27:48 -0700, Mari-Anne Ennor
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Nope, didn't work this time either. While the Spooler SubSystem App
    >>message still appeared, this time I was able to bypass it and create a
    >>network floppy. I even got a message that said I had successfully set
    >>up a network system. However, when I try to access the network, I get
    >>the same "Network not accessible - I might not have permission" message.
    >>
    >>Any more suggestions?
    >>
    >>Mari-Anne

    > Set ZoneAlarm to not start on reboot and reboot.
    > Both machines? Uninstall if necessary for the time being.
    >
    > Are computers logged on as an actual user (ID and password) or local
    > administrators? WinXP Win98?
    > Butterfield

    Both computers are set up for automatic (and bypass) logon as admin and
    without password. And we're botht running XP. I'll see if you have any
    more responses before I try uninstalling ZoneAlarm. If not, let me
    know, and I'll try it again - this time w/o ZoneAlarm.

    When we initially networked the computers (for Internet access only
    purposes at that time), we let the Linksys router do its thing, so to
    speak, and I'm assuming it set itself up as the server. I know it's set
    to automatically assign IP addresses to the computers on the network.
    I've tried to read the Linksys owners manual and don't know if I'm
    supposed to assign MAC address or anything else? I think we already
    have MAC addresses as the computers are identified by some rather
    strange names which partially include my and my husband's name.

    Mari-Anne

  10. Re: Would like to use Linksys Wireless Broadband Router for File Sharing

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 08:27:50 -0700, Mari-Anne Ennor
    wrote:

    >Both computers are set up for automatic (and bypass) logon as admin and
    >without password.

    This could be your problem. Create user accounts. Using local admin
    accounts for network access is problematic in my experience.
    Butterfield

  11. Re: Would like to use Linksys Wireless Broadband Router for File Sharing

    wrote:

    > don't know if I'm
    >supposed to assign MAC address

    The MAC address is already in the NIC. The use of the router with MAC
    addess is for specific allow or deny access. Simply don't specify this
    in the router thereby allowing all MAC addresses,

    Butterfield

  12. Re: Would like to use Linksys Wireless Broadband Router for File Sharing

    wrote:

    >as the computers are identified by some rather
    >strange names which partially include my and my husband's name

    These are random but can be changed to simpler names as comp1 and
    comp2. This is useful for checking the network path by "start run
    \\comp1" to open a window to the comp1 computer.

    Butterfield

  13. Re: Would like to use Linksys Wireless Broadband Router for FileSharing

    Butterfield wrote:

    > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 08:27:50 -0700, Mari-Anne Ennor
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Both computers are set up for automatic (and bypass) logon as admin and
    >>without password.

    > This could be your problem. Create user accounts. Using local admin
    > accounts for network access is problematic in my experience.
    > Butterfield

    OK - acreatin' I go.... however, can I just change the current Owner
    account over to a User account by simply giving it another name? Or
    should I create a brand new one with Admin rights, in addition to the
    existing Owner account? Do I need to also create a password for the
    main account? And do I need to create a separate account on my computer
    for my husband? And, finally, do I need to create an account for me on
    my husband's computer in addition to his main account?

    I really appreciate all your help with this. Even my regular local
    teckie networking guru is stumped on this.

    Mari-Anne

  14. Re: Would like to use Linksys Wireless Broadband Router for FileSharing

    Butterfield wrote:

    > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 08:27:50 -0700, Mari-Anne Ennor
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Both computers are set up for automatic (and bypass) logon as admin and
    >>without password.

    > This could be your problem. Create user accounts. Using local admin
    > accounts for network access is problematic in my experience.
    > Butterfield

    OK - acreatin' I go.... however, can I just change the current Owner
    account over to a User account by simply giving it another name? Or
    should I create a brand new one with Admin rights, in addition to the
    existing Owner account? Do I need to also create a password for the
    main account? And do I need to create a separate account on my computer
    for my husband? And, finally, do I need to create an account for me on
    my husband's computer in addition to his main account?

    I really appreciate all your help with this. Even my regular local
    teckie networking guru is stumped on this.

    Mari-Anne

  15. Re: Would like to use Linksys Wireless Broadband Router for File Sharing

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:56:07 -0700, Mari-Anne Ennor
    wrote:

    >Butterfield wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 08:27:50 -0700, Mari-Anne Ennor
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Both computers are set up for automatic (and bypass) logon as admin and
    >>>without password.

    >> This could be your problem. Create user accounts. Using local admin
    >> accounts for network access is problematic in my experience.
    >> Butterfield

    >OK - acreatin' I go.... however, can I just change the current Owner
    >account over to a User account by simply giving it another name? Or
    >should I create a brand new one with Admin rights, in addition to the
    >existing Owner account? Do I need to also create a password for the
    >main account? And do I need to create a separate account on my computer
    >for my husband? And, finally, do I need to create an account for me on
    >my husband's computer in addition to his main account?
    >
    >I really appreciate all your help with this. Even my regular local
    >teckie networking guru is stumped on this.
    >
    >Mari-Anne

    You probably have settings you want to save so:
    Click start, run, type lusrmgr.msc and just rename the account.
    If you are saying that the "Owner" account is the "main" account and
    is named "Administrator" then simply name it something else.
    Do this on both machines as required.
    I think the answer to your other questions is no.
    See if that works.

    Butterfield

  16. Re: Would like to use Linksys Wireless Broadband Router for FileSharing

    Butterfield wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:56:07 -0700, Mari-Anne Ennor
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Butterfield wrote:

    >>>This could be your problem. Create user accounts. Using local admin
    >>>accounts for network access is problematic in my experience.
    >>>Butterfield

    >>OK - acreatin' I go.... however, can I just change the current Owner
    >>account over to a User account by simply giving it another name? Or
    >>should I create a brand new one with Admin rights, in addition to the
    >>existing Owner account? Do I need to also create a password for the
    >>main account? And do I need to create a separate account on my computer
    >>for my husband? And, finally, do I need to create an account for me on
    >>my husband's computer in addition to his main account?
    >>
    >>I really appreciate all your help with this. Even my regular local
    >>teckie networking guru is stumped on this.
    >>
    >>Mari-Anne

    > You probably have settings you want to save so:
    > Click start, run, type lusrmgr.msc and just rename the account.
    > If you are saying that the "Owner" account is the "main" account and
    > is named "Administrator" then simply name it something else.
    > Do this on both machines as required.
    > I think the answer to your other questions is no.
    > See if that works.
    >
    > Butterfield

    OK thanks! I'll start fresh tomorrow and hopefully, I can report back a
    resounding "Mission Accomplished!"

    Mari-Anne

  17. Re: Would like to use Linksys Wireless Broadband Router for FileSharing

    Butterfield wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:56:07 -0700, Mari-Anne Ennor
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Butterfield wrote:

    >>>This could be your problem. Create user accounts. Using local admin
    >>>accounts for network access is problematic in my experience.
    >>>Butterfield

    >>OK - acreatin' I go.... however, can I just change the current Owner
    >>account over to a User account by simply giving it another name? Or
    >>should I create a brand new one with Admin rights, in addition to the
    >>existing Owner account? Do I need to also create a password for the
    >>main account? And do I need to create a separate account on my computer
    >>for my husband? And, finally, do I need to create an account for me on
    >>my husband's computer in addition to his main account?
    >>
    >>I really appreciate all your help with this. Even my regular local
    >>teckie networking guru is stumped on this.
    >>
    >>Mari-Anne

    > You probably have settings you want to save so:
    > Click start, run, type lusrmgr.msc and just rename the account.
    > If you are saying that the "Owner" account is the "main" account and
    > is named "Administrator" then simply name it something else.
    > Do this on both machines as required.
    > I think the answer to your other questions is no.
    > See if that works.
    >
    > Butterfield

    I can finally report that I now have a working network between our two
    computers in my house. I think what finally clinched the whole thing
    was changing the settings on the WINS tab in the Advanced TC/IP Settings
    dialog box from the default setting to the middle option - i.e. Enable
    NetBIOS over TCP/IP instead of Use NetBIOS setting from the DHCP server.

    Again, thanks for all your help and suggestions.

    Mari-Anne

+ Reply to Thread