Can't connect Win98 machine to W2K machine - Network

This is a discussion on Can't connect Win98 machine to W2K machine - Network ; My home network has suddenly developed a problem. The network has been running fine since it's been installed over two years ago. I have a Linksys BEFSR81 router connecting a Win98 machine and a W2Ksp4 machine. The Win98 machine has ...

  1. Can't connect Win98 machine to W2K machine

    My home network has suddenly developed a problem. The network has been
    running fine since it's been installed over two years ago.

    I have a Linksys BEFSR81 router connecting a Win98 machine and a W2Ksp4
    machine. The Win98 machine has recently decided that it cannot access the
    W2K machine. However, the W2K can access the Win98 machine (so cables are
    likely OK). Both machines can access the internet. I have not changed any
    settings, permissions, or shares on any of the two machines. I have done a
    few intensive installs on the W2K machine, but I can't see how this would
    have an effect (could be wrong, of course). Linksys suggests that I install
    NetBEUI (which I removed because it was suggested that it was unneccessary).
    The exact error message I get from the Win98 machine is "Permanent
    connection not available" when I try to access files or the shared printer.

    I've tried various troubleshooting (as suggested by Linksys) to no avail.
    The W2K machine has shared folders and printer with proper permissions. All
    networking settings on the Win98 machine seem OK, with the exception of one:
    winipcfg shows an adapter of "PPP Adapter" and an IP address of 0.0.0.0.
    When I select my adapter from the drop down (3Com 3C90x, the IP address
    becomes 198.162.1.100, but when I close the window the settings are not
    retained (it reverts back to "PPP Adapter").

    Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

    Patrick

    ------------------
    To reply directly, remove the capitalized letters in the email address

  2. Re: Can't connect Win98 machine to W2K machine

    "Patrick Demets" wrote in

    > My home network has suddenly developed a problem. The network has
    > been running fine since it's been installed over two years ago.
    >
    > I have a Linksys BEFSR81 router connecting a Win98 machine and a
    > W2Ksp4 machine. The Win98 machine has recently decided that it cannot
    > access the W2K machine. However, the W2K can access the Win98 machine
    > (so cables are likely OK).

    The cables are probably fine, although it only takes a moment to swap
    them. Can you ping one machine from the other?

    Start with the basics. Check the IP addresses, you're probably using
    DHCP from the router so this likely isn't the problem but make sure you
    have different addresses and they are on the same subnet.
    Ping one machine from the other in both directions.. What happens?

    Both machines can access the internet. I
    > have not changed any settings, permissions, or shares on any of the
    > two machines. I have done a few intensive installs on the W2K
    > machine, but I can't see how this would have an effect (could be
    > wrong, of course).

    What sorts of installs? Just because you didnt change any settings or
    permissions, doesn't mean your software installers didn't. Are there
    software firewalls running on either of these machines?

    Linksys suggests that I install NetBEUI (which I
    > removed because it was suggested that it was unneccessary).

    It is generally not needed but it will not hurt anything. If you for
    some reason cannot communicate over TCP/IP (which I doubt is your actual
    problem) this will solve the problem, otherwise it won't do anything

    The exact
    > error message I get from the Win98 machine is "Permanent connection
    > not available" when I try to access files or the shared printer.

    What happens if you delete and re-create the mappings?

    > I've tried various troubleshooting (as suggested by Linksys) to no
    > avail. The W2K machine has shared folders and printer with proper
    > permissions.

    Do you have a local account on the Windows 2000 box for the 98 box to
    authenticate against? Is it disabled or has the password changed?

    All networking settings on the Win98 machine seem OK,
    > with the exception of one: winipcfg shows an adapter of "PPP Adapter"
    > and an IP address of 0.0.0.0. When I select my adapter from the drop
    > down (3Com 3C90x, the IP address becomes 198.162.1.100, but when I
    > close the window the settings are not retained (it reverts back to
    > "PPP Adapter").

    The PPP adapter is for dialup. You can ignore it.

    > Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
    >
    > Patrick
    >
    > ------------------
    > To reply directly, remove the capitalized letters in the email address

  3. Re: Can't connect Win98 machine to W2K machine

    "Secret Squirrel" wrote in message
    news:Xns95D3A82DC7C70secretsquirrel69yaho@216.196. 97.131...
    > "Patrick Demets" wrote in
    >
    > > My home network has suddenly developed a problem. The network has
    > > been running fine since it's been installed over two years ago.
    > >
    > > I have a Linksys BEFSR81 router connecting a Win98 machine and a
    > > W2Ksp4 machine. The Win98 machine has recently decided that it cannot
    > > access the W2K machine. However, the W2K can access the Win98 machine
    > > (so cables are likely OK).

    > The cables are probably fine, although it only takes a moment to swap
    > them. Can you ping one machine from the other?
    >
    > Start with the basics. Check the IP addresses, you're probably using
    > DHCP from the router so this likely isn't the problem but make sure you
    > have different addresses and they are on the same subnet.
    > Ping one machine from the other in both directions.. What happens?

    As suggested by Linksys in their troubleshooting, I can successfully ping
    the W2K machine from the Win98 machine. Machines have different IP
    addresses and same subnet.

    Strange thing is, though, I have no problem accessing the Win98 machine from
    the W2K machine.

    > Both machines can access the internet. I
    > > have not changed any settings, permissions, or shares on any of the
    > > two machines. I have done a few intensive installs on the W2K
    > > machine, but I can't see how this would have an effect (could be
    > > wrong, of course).

    > What sorts of installs? Just because you didnt change any settings or
    > permissions, doesn't mean your software installers didn't. Are there
    > software firewalls running on either of these machines?

    I've installed and then deinstalled Oracle database 9iEE on the W2K machine,
    and cleaned the registry of Oracle related stuff (deleted the registry
    folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Oracle).

    On the Win98 machine I have Zone Alarm, which has not caused any concern
    until now.

    > Linksys suggests that I install NetBEUI (which I
    > > removed because it was suggested that it was unneccessary).

    > It is generally not needed but it will not hurt anything. If you for
    > some reason cannot communicate over TCP/IP (which I doubt is your actual
    > problem) this will solve the problem, otherwise it won't do anything

    How do I go about installing NetBEUI? Does that come with Win98 or is this
    separate? I started installing NetBEUI, but got stuck when it asked for a
    disk and I couldn't find anything it liked (at least not on the Win98 CD).

    > The exact
    > > error message I get from the Win98 machine is "Permanent connection
    > > not available" when I try to access files or the shared printer.

    > What happens if you delete and re-create the mappings?

    I deleted the printer mapping as well as the file mappings. I am now unable
    to recreate either (error message as above).

    > > I've tried various troubleshooting (as suggested by Linksys) to no
    > > avail. The W2K machine has shared folders and printer with proper
    > > permissions.

    > Do you have a local account on the Windows 2000 box for the 98 box to
    > authenticate against? Is it disabled or has the password changed?

    Yes, I have a local account on the W2K machine, exactly as it is defined on
    the 98 machine. Password has not changed. This has also been working since
    the network was installed.

    > All networking settings on the Win98 machine seem OK,
    > > with the exception of one: winipcfg shows an adapter of "PPP Adapter"
    > > and an IP address of 0.0.0.0. When I select my adapter from the drop
    > > down (3Com 3C90x, the IP address becomes 198.162.1.100, but when I
    > > close the window the settings are not retained (it reverts back to
    > > "PPP Adapter").

    > The PPP adapter is for dialup. You can ignore it.
    >

    > > Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
    > >
    > > Patrick
    > >
    > > ------------------
    > > To reply directly, remove the capitalized letters in the email address

  4. Re: Can't connect Win98 machine to W2K machine

    "Patrick Demets" wrote in

    > "Secret Squirrel" wrote in message
    > news:Xns95D3A82DC7C70secretsquirrel69yaho@216.196. 97.131...
    >> "Patrick Demets" wrote in
    >>
    >> > My home network has suddenly developed a problem. The network has
    >> > been running fine since it's been installed over two years ago.
    >> >
    >> > I have a Linksys BEFSR81 router connecting a Win98 machine and a
    >> > W2Ksp4 machine. The Win98 machine has recently decided that it
    >> > cannot access the W2K machine. However, the W2K can access the
    >> > Win98 machine (so cables are likely OK).

    >> The cables are probably fine, although it only takes a moment to swap
    >> them. Can you ping one machine from the other?
    >>
    >> Start with the basics. Check the IP addresses, you're probably using
    >> DHCP from the router so this likely isn't the problem but make sure
    >> you have different addresses and they are on the same subnet.
    >> Ping one machine from the other in both directions.. What happens?
    >>

    > As suggested by Linksys in their troubleshooting, I can successfully
    > ping the W2K machine from the Win98 machine. Machines have different
    > IP addresses and same subnet.
    >
    > Strange thing is, though, I have no problem accessing the Win98
    > machine from the W2K machine.
    >

    >> Both machines can access the internet. I
    >> > have not changed any settings, permissions, or shares on any of the
    >> > two machines. I have done a few intensive installs on the W2K
    >> > machine, but I can't see how this would have an effect (could be
    >> > wrong, of course).

    >> What sorts of installs? Just because you didnt change any settings or
    >> permissions, doesn't mean your software installers didn't. Are there
    >> software firewalls running on either of these machines?

    > I've installed and then deinstalled Oracle database 9iEE on the W2K
    > machine, and cleaned the registry of Oracle related stuff (deleted the
    > registry folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Oracle).
    >
    > On the Win98 machine I have Zone Alarm, which has not caused any
    > concern until now.

    The Windows 2000 machine has no software firewall?

    >> Linksys suggests that I install NetBEUI (which I
    >> > removed because it was suggested that it was unneccessary).

    >> It is generally not needed but it will not hurt anything. If you for
    >> some reason cannot communicate over TCP/IP (which I doubt is your
    >> actual problem) this will solve the problem, otherwise it won't do
    >> anything

    > How do I go about installing NetBEUI? Does that come with Win98 or is
    > this separate? I started installing NetBEUI, but got stuck when it
    > asked for a disk and I couldn't find anything it liked (at least not
    > on the Win98 CD).

    It's on the Windows 98 cd. Specific Instructions for installing can be
    found here if you need them.

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...8/all/reskit/e
    n-us/part3/wrkc16.mspx

    >> The exact
    >> > error message I get from the Win98 machine is "Permanent connection
    >> > not available" when I try to access files or the shared printer.

    >> What happens if you delete and re-create the mappings?

    > I deleted the printer mapping as well as the file mappings. I am now
    > unable to recreate either (error message as above).
    >

    >> > I've tried various troubleshooting (as suggested by Linksys) to no
    >> > avail. The W2K machine has shared folders and printer with proper
    >> > permissions.

    >> Do you have a local account on the Windows 2000 box for the 98 box to
    >> authenticate against? Is it disabled or has the password changed?

    > Yes, I have a local account on the W2K machine, exactly as it is
    > defined on the 98 machine. Password has not changed. This has also
    > been working since the network was installed.
    >

    >> All networking settings on the Win98 machine seem OK,
    >> > with the exception of one: winipcfg shows an adapter of "PPP
    >> > Adapter" and an IP address of 0.0.0.0. When I select my adapter
    >> > from the drop down (3Com 3C90x, the IP address becomes
    >> > 198.162.1.100, but when I close the window the settings are not
    >> > retained (it reverts back to "PPP Adapter").

    >> The PPP adapter is for dialup. You can ignore it.
    >>

    >> > Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
    >> >
    >> > Patrick
    >> >
    >> > ------------------
    >> > To reply directly, remove the capitalized letters in the email
    >> > address

  5. Re: Can't connect Win98 machine to W2K machine

    "Secret Squirrel" wrote in message
    news:Xns95D49A1D85CFFsecretsquirrel69yaho@216.196. 97.131...
    > "Patrick Demets" wrote in
    >

    > > "Secret Squirrel" wrote in message
    > > news:Xns95D3A82DC7C70secretsquirrel69yaho@216.196. 97.131...
    > >> "Patrick Demets" wrote in

    > >> The cables are probably fine, although it only takes a moment to swap
    > >> them. Can you ping one machine from the other?
    > >>
    > >> Start with the basics. Check the IP addresses, you're probably using
    > >> DHCP from the router so this likely isn't the problem but make sure
    > >> you have different addresses and they are on the same subnet.
    > >> Ping one machine from the other in both directions.. What happens?
    > >>

    > > As suggested by Linksys in their troubleshooting, I can successfully
    > > ping the W2K machine from the Win98 machine. Machines have different
    > > IP addresses and same subnet.
    > >
    > > Strange thing is, though, I have no problem accessing the Win98
    > > machine from the W2K machine.
    > >

    > >> Both machines can access the internet. I
    > >>
    > >> What sorts of installs? Just because you didnt change any settings or
    > >> permissions, doesn't mean your software installers didn't. Are there
    > >> software firewalls running on either of these machines?

    > > I've installed and then deinstalled Oracle database 9iEE on the W2K
    > > machine, and cleaned the registry of Oracle related stuff (deleted the
    > > registry folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Oracle).
    > >
    > > On the Win98 machine I have Zone Alarm, which has not caused any
    > > concern until now.

    > The Windows 2000 machine has no software firewall?

    Yes, forgot to mention, it has a McAfee firewall, which has not caused
    problems so far. However, shouldn't I at least see the W2K box in Network
    Neighbourhood from the W98 box, even if I can't access files?

    I'll also try "Troubleshooting Windows network problems" from the MS site.

    > >> Linksys suggests that I install NetBEUI (which I
    > >>
    > >> It is generally not needed but it will not hurt anything. If you for
    > >> some reason cannot communicate over TCP/IP (which I doubt is your
    > >> actual problem) this will solve the problem, otherwise it won't do
    > >> anything

    > > How do I go about installing NetBEUI? Does that come with Win98 or is
    > > this separate? I started installing NetBEUI, but got stuck when it
    > > asked for a disk and I couldn't find anything it liked (at least not
    > > on the Win98 CD).

    > It's on the Windows 98 cd. Specific Instructions for installing can be
    > found here if you need them.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...8/all/reskit/e
    > n-us/part3/wrkc16.mspx
    > >

    > >> The exact
    > >>
    > >> What happens if you delete and re-create the mappings?

    > > I deleted the printer mapping as well as the file mappings. I am now
    > > unable to recreate either (error message as above).

    > >> Do you have a local account on the Windows 2000 box for the 98 box to
    > >> authenticate against? Is it disabled or has the password changed?

    > > Yes, I have a local account on the W2K machine, exactly as it is
    > > defined on the 98 machine. Password has not changed. This has also
    > > been working since the network was installed.
    > >

    > >> All networking settings on the Win98 machine seem OK,
    > >>
    > >> The PPP adapter is for dialup. You can ignore it.

  6. Re: Can't connect Win98 machine to W2K machine

    I could kick myself! It was the firewall on the W2K box that was blocking
    access. Beats me how it got changed, but it was obviously recently (perhaps
    that Oracle install). Anyways, thanks for the helpful tips.

    Patrick

    "Patrick Demets" wrote in message

    > > > As suggested by Linksys in their troubleshooting, I can successfully
    > > > ping the W2K machine from the Win98 machine. Machines have different
    > > > IP addresses and same subnet.
    > > >
    > > > Strange thing is, though, I have no problem accessing the Win98
    > > > machine from the W2K machine.

    > > > I've installed and then deinstalled Oracle database 9iEE on the W2K
    > > > machine, and cleaned the registry of Oracle related stuff (deleted the
    > > > registry folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Oracle).
    > > >
    > > > On the Win98 machine I have Zone Alarm, which has not caused any
    > > > concern until now.

    > > The Windows 2000 machine has no software firewall?

    > Yes, forgot to mention, it has a McAfee firewall, which has not caused
    > problems so far. However, shouldn't I at least see the W2K box in Network
    > Neighbourhood from the W98 box, even if I can't access files?
    >
    > I'll also try "Troubleshooting Windows network problems" from the MS site.

    > > > How do I go about installing NetBEUI? Does that come with Win98 or is
    > > > this separate? I started installing NetBEUI, but got stuck when it
    > > > asked for a disk and I couldn't find anything it liked (at least not
    > > > on the Win98 CD).

    > > It's on the Windows 98 cd. Specific Instructions for installing can be
    > > found here if you need them.
    > >
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...8/all/reskit/e
    > > n-us/part3/wrkc16.mspx

    > > > I deleted the printer mapping as well as the file mappings. I am now
    > > > unable to recreate either (error message as above).

    > > > Yes, I have a local account on the W2K machine, exactly as it is
    > > > defined on the 98 machine. Password has not changed. This has also
    > > > been working since the network was installed.

+ Reply to Thread