Connecting a MAC to a windows network - Network

This is a discussion on Connecting a MAC to a windows network - Network ; Hi, I have a windows NT/2003 network. How would I connect a Macintosh to it so it is able to: - Print on the shared network printers. - Map drives to shared network directories. I assume there would be some ...

  1. Connecting a MAC to a windows network

    Hi,

    I have a windows NT/2003 network. How would I connect a Macintosh to it so
    it is able to:
    - Print on the shared network printers.
    - Map drives to shared network directories.

    I assume there would be some kind of software to be installed on the MAC (or
    would it be on the MAC and windows?)
    --
    Thank you
    Please post only

  2. Re: Connecting a MAC to a windows network

    !!bogus wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a windows NT/2003 network. How would I connect a Macintosh to
    > it so it is able to:
    > - Print on the shared network printers.
    > - Map drives to shared network directories.
    >
    > I assume there would be some kind of software to be installed on the
    > MAC (or would it be on the MAC and windows?)

    Not necessarily - if you're using OSX, this is pretty easy, if I recall
    correctly. If you're using earlier versions, you may need to get a copy of
    Dave or PCMacLan (digging way back in the memory banks on the latter).

  3. Re: Connecting a MAC to a windows network

    In article ,
    "!!bogus" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a windows NT/2003 network. How would I connect a Macintosh to it so
    > it is able to:
    > - Print on the shared network printers.
    > - Map drives to shared network directories.
    >
    > I assume there would be some kind of software to be installed on the MAC (or
    > would it be on the MAC and windows?)

    You can choose to install File and Print Services for Macintosh from the
    Add/Remove Programs Control Panel (Window Components) and this is free.
    If you'd prefer not to mess with the integrity of your server for just
    one client you can install a third party application called Dave from
    . You can download a 30-day trial version from
    their website.

    Hope this helps! bill
    --
    William M. Smith
    (Microsoft Interop MVP)

  4. Re: Connecting a MAC to a windows network

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
    > !!bogus wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I have a windows NT/2003 network. How would I connect a Macintosh to
    >>it so it is able to:
    >>- Print on the shared network printers.
    >>- Map drives to shared network directories.
    >>
    >>I assume there would be some kind of software to be installed on the
    >>MAC (or would it be on the MAC and windows?)

    > Not necessarily - if you're using OSX, this is pretty easy, if I recall
    > correctly. If you're using earlier versions, you may need to get a copy of
    > Dave or PCMacLan (digging way back in the memory banks on the latter).

    www.samba.org

  5. Re: Connecting a MAC to a windows network

    Belgarath wrote in news:mTsKd.46515$Z14.29166@news.indigo.ie:

    > Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
    >> !!bogus wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I have a windows NT/2003 network. How would I connect a Macintosh to
    >>>it so it is able to:
    >>>- Print on the shared network printers.
    >>>- Map drives to shared network directories.
    >>>
    >>>I assume there would be some kind of software to be installed on the
    >>>MAC (or would it be on the MAC and windows?)

    >> Not necessarily - if you're using OSX, this is pretty easy, if I
    >> recall correctly. If you're using earlier versions, you may need to
    >> get a copy of Dave or PCMacLan (digging way back in the memory banks
    >> on the latter).
    >>

    > www.samba.org

    Or you could simply install print services for Macintosh

  6. Re: Connecting a MAC to a windows network

    Samba is for Linux...no?

    --
    correctly. If you're using earlier versions, you may need to get a copy of
    > > Dave or PCMacLan (digging way back in the memory banks on the latter).
    > >

    > www.samba.org

  7. Re: Connecting a MAC to a windows network

    !!bogus wrote:
    > Samba is for Linux...no?

    Samba is for Linux ... too

  8. Re: Connecting a MAC to a windows network

    Since this is the wireless forum...I thought I would ask what are goo
    wireless 802.11g cards, or USB wireless that will enable a Mac on OS
    to connect to a Linksys wireless router in an otherwise Window
    household

    --
    steve
    brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com