To Vlan or not to Vlan??? - Network

This is a discussion on To Vlan or not to Vlan??? - Network ; I've got a customer who has recently purchased a BT broadband connection with router inc firewall. He has also purchased 5 static ip addresses. He would like to allocate these address to individual machines and at the same time stop ...

  1. To Vlan or not to Vlan???

    I've got a customer who has recently purchased a BT broadband connection
    with router inc firewall. He has also purchased 5 static ip addresses. He
    would like to allocate these address to individual machines and at the same
    time stop each machine from seeing each other, whilst all enjoying internet
    access...

    To do this is it possible to do something clever on the router? I'm
    presuming the firewall is out of the question as all machines will be
    behind the firewall, so is my only option to buy a switch which supports
    vlans or can anyone else thing of a clever way around this?

    Any help appreciated.

    Mike

  2. Re: To Vlan or not to Vlan???

    Mike Goldsworthy wrote in
    news:Xns95886794E9683mgoldsworthyhotmailc@217.32.2 52.50:

    > I've got a customer who has recently purchased a BT broadband
    > connection with router inc firewall. He has also purchased 5 static ip
    > addresses. He would like to allocate these address to individual
    > machines and at the same time stop each machine from seeing each
    > other, whilst all enjoying internet access...
    >
    > To do this is it possible to do something clever on the router? I'm
    > presuming the firewall is out of the question as all machines will be
    > behind the firewall, so is my only option to buy a switch which
    > supports vlans or can anyone else thing of a clever way around this?
    >
    > Any help appreciated.
    >
    > Mike

    Stop them from seeing each other how? Like they should not even be able
    to ping each other? If that is the case then you will need to put them
    in seperate Vlans. Perhaps his needs could be settled with access
    controls on the workstations?
    You may also want to look at one of the 800 series routers from
    Cisco like the 831. They have routing, basic firewall and a 4port switch
    which can be vlan'ed all in one box at a pretty attractive price. They
    run standard IOS and have pretty much all of the features of the bigger
    models. The only thing I've not been able to do it create a trunk to
    another switch which you're unlikely to need anyway.

+ Reply to Thread