connecting 2 computers - Network

This is a discussion on connecting 2 computers - Network ; This will probably be a repeat but, How do you connect 2 private computers at different loctions directly with each other???...

  1. connecting 2 computers

    This will probably be a repeat but,

    How do you connect 2 private computers at different loctions directly with
    each other???

  2. Re: connecting 2 computers

    Scott wrote:

    >This will probably be a repeat but,
    >
    >How do you connect 2 private computers at different loctions directly with
    >each other???

    When you say 'different locations', it is difficult to know what you mean.

    If you can run ethernet cable between the two systems, use a 'crossover'
    cable.

  3. Re: connecting 2 computers

    geographically different locations, 30 miles apart.

    "Jerry Park" wrote in message
    news:5hAcd.177740$as2.92121@bignews3.bellsouth.net ...
    > Scott wrote:
    >
    >>This will probably be a repeat but,
    >>
    >>How do you connect 2 private computers at different loctions directly with
    >>each other???
    >>

    > When you say 'different locations', it is difficult to know what you mean.
    >
    > If you can run ethernet cable between the two systems, use a 'crossover'
    > cable.

  4. Re: connecting 2 computers

    Scott wrote:

    >geographically different locations, 30 miles apart.
    >

    >"Jerry Park" wrote in message
    >news:5hAcd.177740$as2.92121@bignews3.bellsouth.net ...
    >

    >>Scott wrote:
    >>

    >>>This will probably be a repeat but,
    >>>
    >>>How do you connect 2 private computers at different loctions directly with
    >>>each other???
    >>>

    >>When you say 'different locations', it is difficult to know what you mean.
    >>
    >>If you can run ethernet cable between the two systems, use a 'crossover'
    >>cable.

    I have no idea how you could do that at a reasonable cost.

    I would have both systems connect to the internet and use VPN to connect
    the systems.

    You could lease lines from the phone company, but I don't know how to
    make a direct connection when you do that.

  5. Re: connecting 2 computers

    "Scott" wrote in
    newsoKcd.101446$BI5.2401@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

    > geographically different locations, 30 miles apart.
    >

    > "Jerry Park" wrote in message
    > news:5hAcd.177740$as2.92121@bignews3.bellsouth.net ...
    >> Scott wrote:
    >>
    >>>This will probably be a repeat but,
    >>>
    >>>How do you connect 2 private computers at different loctions directly
    >>>with each other???
    >>>

    >> When you say 'different locations', it is difficult to know what you
    >> mean.
    >>
    >> If you can run ethernet cable between the two systems, use a
    >> 'crossover' cable.

    There are 3 ways to do this. One, purchase a leased line from the telco,
    This is the most secure, but probably cost prohibitive for 2 systems.
    Two, connect each to the internet and then set up a VPN tunnel between
    the 2, this gives you an encrypted communications channel, making your
    data secure, but allowing the economy of a basic internet connection.
    Three, tedious but functional is a dial-up connection directly between
    the 2(or isdn)

+ Reply to Thread