It's on-it's off-it's on, it's off -WHY? - Network

This is a discussion on It's on-it's off-it's on, it's off -WHY? - Network ; IS THIS THE CORRECT FORUM? Hope so. We have three computer networked at home...all with Windows XP. one of those is a laptop. Some mornings all 3 can see each other and transfer files...then mysteriously one or more will disappear. ...

  1. It's on-it's off-it's on, it's off -WHY?

    IS THIS THE CORRECT FORUM? Hope so.
    We have three computer networked at home...all with Windows XP. one of those
    is a laptop. Some mornings all 3 can see each other and transfer
    files...then mysteriously one or more will disappear. No contact....then
    later it's back. The laptop is the worst. Most often it won't let us
    in...but sometimes it will. No obvious reason. The most INFURIATING part is
    the message "see your administrator". Dammit Bill Gates...don't you realize
    that most networks are small offices without a Majestic Royal Administrator
    sitting his ivory tower. They are MY computers, I bought them, I set them up
    and I am His Majesty the Royal Administrator so stop referring to some
    mysterious third party. (ok..so much for the soapbox)...

    does anyone know why networks go on and off and on and off and on and off.

    (notso) Smart-Alex

  2. Re: It's on-it's off-it's on, it's off -WHY?

    Alex,

    You didn't say anything about the type of network or the arrangement. You
    need to:

    All wired ethernet or some wireless?

    Is there a switch, router, hub, ???? what connects the computers together?
    Brand and model.

    Are you using "Get an address automatically" or setting IP addresses
    manually?

    If you run the Command Prompt / "DOS window" program on each computer:
    (Start / Run / CMD
    You will get a black window with something like:
    C:\xxxx\xxxx> <--and you will type right here

    Type:
    IPCONFIG

    what results do you get for each computer?
    When it's working?
    When it's not working?

    Fred

    "Smart-Alex" wrote in message
    news:I0e9d.31850$HO1.1290779@news20.bellglobal.com ...
    > IS THIS THE CORRECT FORUM? Hope so.
    > We have three computer networked at home...all with Windows XP. one of
    > those is a laptop. Some mornings all 3 can see each other and transfer
    > files...then mysteriously one or more will disappear. No contact....then
    > later it's back. The laptop is the worst. Most often it won't let us
    > in...but sometimes it will. No obvious reason. The most INFURIATING part
    > is the message "see your administrator". Dammit Bill Gates...don't you
    > realize that most networks are small offices without a Majestic Royal
    > Administrator sitting his ivory tower. They are MY computers, I bought
    > them, I set them up and I am His Majesty the Royal Administrator so stop
    > referring to some mysterious third party. (ok..so much for the soapbox)...
    >
    > does anyone know why networks go on and off and on and off and on and off.
    >
    > (notso) Smart-Alex

  3. Re: It's on-it's off-it's on, it's off -WHY?

    Fred
    To answer your question...

    It's a wired network with a D-Link 10/100 Switch connecting the 3 computers.

    The Laptop is an Dell Inspiron 4100...the other two are custom..with AMD2600
    processors in both. One has 512 and the other 1G of Ram.

    I am set it to get address automatically.

    I get a different IP for each. The computer that accesses the web is
    198.168.0.1 and the other are the same with 198.168.0. ---- with different
    final 3 numbers.

    There is no rhyme or reason as to when or under what circumstances that it
    doesn't work. Sometimes, the Laptop is invisible...sometimes it my wife's
    computer...sometimes in both directions...other times in just one.

    Does this help?

    Alex

    "Smart-Alex" wrote in message
    news:I0e9d.31850$HO1.1290779@news20.bellglobal.com ...
    > IS THIS THE CORRECT FORUM? Hope so.
    > We have three computer networked at home...all with Windows XP. one of
    > those is a laptop. Some mornings all 3 can see each other and transfer
    > files...then mysteriously one or more will disappear. No contact....then
    > later it's back. The laptop is the worst. Most often it won't let us
    > in...but sometimes it will. No obvious reason. The most INFURIATING part
    > is the message "see your administrator". Dammit Bill Gates...don't you
    > realize that most networks are small offices without a Majestic Royal
    > Administrator sitting his ivory tower. They are MY computers, I bought
    > them, I set them up and I am His Majesty the Royal Administrator so stop
    > referring to some mysterious third party. (ok..so much for the soapbox)...
    >
    > does anyone know why networks go on and off and on and off and on and off.
    >
    > (notso) Smart-Alex

  4. Re: It's on-it's off-it's on, it's off -WHY?

    Alex,

    Well, it helps a bit but leaves out a lot of critical information.

    You didn't say anything about "the web" before did you? So now I'm curious
    regarding how you connect to the web. Either
    - one of the computers has two NICs and is running internet connection
    sharing (ICS),
    - has USB to modem plus ethernet to LAN running ICS or
    - the D-Link box is more than a "switch" and is actually a router that
    connects to the web via DSL. You didn't provide a model number so ....
    - or .......

    If the addresses are in the range 192.168.0.xxx then the D-Link box is
    likely a router with DHCP enabled - and not a simple switch. Or, perhaps
    this is being set up with DHCP and ICS on one of the computers using a
    dialup connection to the internet?

    I can imagine this as a possibility:
    - The cables are home-made and aren't correctly wired. You can build a
    cable with consistent pin-outs that is still incorrect because of the misuse
    of the twisted pairs. The order of the wires isn't intuitively obvious.....
    Depending on the length of incorrect cables, they may work, not work or be
    flaky depending on their surroundings.
    - See http://duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable5.htm for a good
    description of how to wire the cables. EIA/TIA 568 B is the most common
    standard in use these days.

    Fred

    "Smart-Alex" wrote in message
    news:8HC9d.33970$jj2.1447373@news20.bellglobal.com ...
    > Fred
    > To answer your question...
    >
    > It's a wired network with a D-Link 10/100 Switch connecting the 3
    > computers.
    >
    > The Laptop is an Dell Inspiron 4100...the other two are custom..with
    > AMD2600
    > processors in both. One has 512 and the other 1G of Ram.
    >
    > I am set it to get address automatically.
    >
    > I get a different IP for each. The computer that accesses the web is
    > 198.168.0.1 and the other are the same with 198.168.0. ---- with different
    > final 3 numbers.
    >
    > There is no rhyme or reason as to when or under what circumstances that it
    > doesn't work. Sometimes, the Laptop is invisible...sometimes it my wife's
    > computer...sometimes in both directions...other times in just one.
    >
    > Does this help?
    >
    > Alex
    >

    > "Smart-Alex" wrote in message
    > news:I0e9d.31850$HO1.1290779@news20.bellglobal.com ...
    >> IS THIS THE CORRECT FORUM? Hope so.
    >> We have three computer networked at home...all with Windows XP. one of
    >> those is a laptop. Some mornings all 3 can see each other and transfer
    >> files...then mysteriously one or more will disappear. No contact....then
    >> later it's back. The laptop is the worst. Most often it won't let us
    >> in...but sometimes it will. No obvious reason. The most INFURIATING part
    >> is the message "see your administrator". Dammit Bill Gates...don't you
    >> realize that most networks are small offices without a Majestic Royal
    >> Administrator sitting his ivory tower. They are MY computers, I bought
    >> them, I set them up and I am His Majesty the Royal Administrator so stop
    >> referring to some mysterious third party. (ok..so much for the
    >> soapbox)...
    >>
    >> does anyone know why networks go on and off and on and off and on and
    >> off.
    >>
    >> (notso) Smart-Alex

  5. Re: It's on-it's off-it's on, it's off -WHY?

    Fred...sorry...it's DSL I connect using a USB Alcatel modem. I connect from
    my computer and I have an VIA Rhine II ethernet card.
    The model # of the Switch is a D-Link DSS-5+

    I am using the regular ethernet cables...not cross-over. Two computers are
    fed by 25ft cables.

    One of the main problems seems to be the message, "you do not have
    permisssion"...then an hour later I do....then later I don't again.

    Alex

    "Fred Marshall" wrote in message
> [...]
    >>> IS THIS THE CORRECT FORUM? Hope so.
    >>> We have three computer networked at home...all with Windows XP. one of
    >>> those is a laptop. Some mornings all 3 can see each other and transfer
    >>> files...then mysteriously one or more will disappear. No contact....then
    >>> later it's back. The laptop is the worst. Most often it won't let us
    >>> in...but sometimes it will. No obvious reason. The most INFURIATING part
    >>> is the message "see your administrator". Dammit Bill Gates...don't you
    >>> realize that most networks are small offices without a Majestic Royal
    >>> Administrator sitting his ivory tower. They are MY computers, I bought
    >>> them, I set them up and I am His Majesty the Royal Administrator so stop
    >>> referring to some mysterious third party. (ok..so much for the
    >>> soapbox)...
    >>>
    >>> does anyone know why networks go on and off and on and off and on and

  6. Re: It's on-it's off-it's on, it's off -WHY?

    Alex,

    Yeah but you didn't say if the cables were home-made or manufactured and
    whether the wiring method was in accordance with EIA/TIA 568 B or something
    nonstandard or ..... This could very well matter.... Yes, straight
    cables, not crossover.

    Hmmmmm... OK, you didn't say that any of the computers can't reach the
    internet did you? Assuming that's the case - that you can reach the
    internet on all of them - then it sounds like a network browsing problem.
    I would suggest two things:
    1) Make sure the workgroup is the same on all the computers.
    2) have only TCP/IP protocol installed on each of the interfaces - not
    NetBEUI and not IPX.
    3) Wait for a while - at least 30 minutes.
    4) See if all computers now can't see all other computers.....
    Note: if you are turning the computers off and on a lot or if you are
    rebooting a lot then you could be losing the network browser configuration.
    I think the best way to solve this is to leave one of the computers turned
    on all the time.
    Then, assuming the laptop is connected only some of the time, do this to the
    laptop:

    Stop/disable the "Computer Browser" service. You can use the services
    control panel (or right-click "My Computer" --> Manage --> Services) to
    stop the service then set the startup parameter for the service to "on
    demand" or "disable". The machine will still be able to browse the
    network but it can't become browse master.

    Also see:

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...s/Default.asp?
    url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prcf_omn_mzox.asp

    Fred

    "Smart-Alex" wrote in message
    news:fijad.9803$hk6.135582@news20.bellglobal.com.. .
> [...]
    >>
    >> "Smart-Alex" wrote in message
    >> news:8HC9d.33970$jj2.1447373@news20.bellglobal.com ...
    >>> Fred
    >>> To answer your question...
    >>>
    >>> It's a wired network with a D-Link 10/100 Switch connecting the 3
    >>> computers.
    >>>
    >>> The Laptop is an Dell Inspiron 4100...the other two are custom..with
    >>> AMD2600
    >>> processors in both. One has 512 and the other 1G of Ram.
    >>>
    >>> I am set it to get address automatically.
    >>>
    >>> I get a different IP for each. The computer that accesses the web is
    >>> 198.168.0.1 and the other are the same with 198.168.0. ---- with
    >>> different final 3 numbers.
    >>>
    >>> There is no rhyme or reason as to when or under what circumstances that
    >>> it doesn't work. Sometimes, the Laptop is invisible...sometimes it my
    >>> wife's computer...sometimes in both directions...other times in just

  7. Re: It's on-it's off-it's on, it's off -WHY?

    No the cables were bought at Staples.

> [...]
    >>> - or .......
    >>>
    >>> If the addresses are in the range 192.168.0.xxx then the D-Link box is
    >>> likely a router with DHCP enabled - and not a simple switch. Or,
    >>> perhaps this is being set up with DHCP and ICS on one of the computers
    >>> using a dialup connection to the internet?
    >>>
    >>> I can imagine this as a possibility:
    >>> - The cables are home-made and aren't correctly wired. You can build a
    >>> cable with consistent pin-outs that is still incorrect because of the
    >>> misuse of the twisted pairs. The order of the wires isn't intuitively
    >>> obvious.....
    >>> Depending on the length of incorrect cables, they may work, not work or
    >>> be flaky depending on their surroundings.
    >>> - See http://duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable5.htm for a good
    >>> description of how to wire the cables. EIA/TIA 568 B is the most common

+ Reply to Thread