Help with wireless networking - Network

This is a discussion on Help with wireless networking - Network ; I have two PCs both running XP. Can anyone please advise what I would need to get to wirelessly connect the two together. Many thanks in advance for any help. Regards Peter...

  1. Help with wireless networking

    I have two PCs both running XP. Can anyone please advise what I would need
    to get to wirelessly connect the two together. Many thanks in advance for
    any help.

    Regards

    Peter

  2. Re: Help with wireless networking

    I would buy an inexpensive router with wireless G capability and one USB
    wireless G interface.

    Range may or may not be a consideration for you. How many walls are in
    between the computer? Walls have a big impact if there are more than 2 or
    if the distance between the computers is more than a few tens of feet.I
    believe that D-Link has consistently shown the best range reports and they
    are generally available and inexpensive.

    Then, you place the router at one of the computers and connect via ethernet
    to that computer. You install the USB wireless interface to the other
    computer. Make sure the wireless part is working between the second computer
    and the router before you proceed further.

    You will work with the router using your web browser. Go to 192.168.1.1 or
    whatever the router is set up to have for an address. You should get a web
    interface to set things up. You can probably do nothing here so I mention
    it only for reference.

    I would recommend that you have *ONLY* the TCP/IP protocol installed on the
    computers ... not NetBEUI and not IPX. If the latter two are there, remove
    them.
    You may want to go to System / Identification and have both computers with
    the same Workgroup name.
    You need to have Microsoft File and Printer Sharing installed and enabled.
    Go the the file folder(s) you want to share and set up Properties / Sharing
    for each of them - on both computers.

    There are three ways to set up the networking:

    **Using Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) is the simplest:

    Set the ethernet interface on the first computer Properties / TCP/IP to
    "obtain an IP address automatically". There will be no Gateway identified.
    (This is a pure peer-to-peer network).

    Set the USB wireless interface on the second computer Properties / TCP/IP
    the same way.

    The IP addresses will start with 169.xxx unless you have DHCP enabled on the
    router - in which case the IP addresses will probably start with
    192.168...... You don't really care which it is unless you get into heavy
    troubleshooting - in which case you will need to know.

    **Using dynamic IP addresses is sometimes the next simplest and may happen
    anyway by virtue of the router being there:

    You can try it and if it doesn't work by default, then make sure that DHCP
    *is* enabled on the router.

    Set the ethernet interface on the first computer Properties / TCP/IP to
    "obtain an IP address automatically". Identify the router as the Gateway as
    in: 192.168.1.1 or whatever the router IP address actually is.

    Set the USB wireless interface on the second computer Properties / TCP/IP
    the same way. Identify the router as the Gateway as in: 192.168.1.1 or
    whatever the router wants to be.

    **Using static IP addresses is just a little more work to set up but causes
    the fewest questions about what is / is not working:

    Set the ethernet interface on the first computer Properties / TCP/IP to
    192.168.1.2 or the same as the router except ".2" at the end (e.g. if the
    router is 192.168.1.1)
    Identify the router as the Gateway - probably it is 192.168.1.1.

    Set the USB wireless interface on the second computer Properties / TCP/IP
    the same way but with ".3" at the end.

    Test each computer as follows:

    Start / type in "cmd - a black window should open. In the black
    command line interface window, type:

    ipconfig [you should see the IP address of the interfaces]

    ping 127.0.0.1 [you should see responses and not timeouts]

    ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx [where the "xxx's" are the IP address of the computer
    you got above with ipconfig].

    ping 192.168.1.1 (or whatever the router is) [you should see responses and
    not timeouts]

    ping 192.168.1.x (whatever the other computer is) [you should see responses
    and not timeouts]

    If all this works then you have a network!

    If one computer shows an IP address in the range 192.168.1.x and the other
    computer shows an IP address of 169.xxx.xxx.xxx then it means the latter
    computer is using APIPA which usually means it isn't connected (unless
    you're trying to use APIPA everywhere)....

    All this done, be patient for the computers to show up in Network
    Neighborhood. It takes a while (maybe 30 minutes). That's a drag on
    testing and troubleshooting isn't it?

    You didn't say that you have an internet connection on this LAN so I haven't
    addressed that. It would be different depending on how you get connected to
    the internet - DSL modem or dialup modem.

    Fred

    "Peter Hill" wrote in message
    >I have two PCs both running XP. Can anyone please advise what I would need
    >to get to wirelessly connect the two together. Many thanks in advance for
    >any help.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Peter

  3. Re: Help with wireless networking

    Peter,

    If you are asking about connecting just your 2 (local) computers, with neither
    one connected to the internet, you don't need a router. I believe you just
    need 2 wireless adapters and then you need to set them up on each computer in
    AD HOC MODE as opposed to INFRASTRUCTURE MODE. I'm not certain about this
    since I've never tried it, but I remember reading about it. It makes sense if
    you consider that the wireless adapters are really radios that can send and
    receive signals. You can probably learn more about ad hod mode by typing it in
    Google. Good luck.

    David A.

    Peter Hill wrote:

    > I have two PCs both running XP. Can anyone please advise what I would need
    > to get to wirelessly connect the two together. Many thanks in advance for
    > any help.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Peter

+ Reply to Thread