Wifi signal fluctuates wildly on one PC - Network

This is a discussion on Wifi signal fluctuates wildly on one PC - Network ; Have Googled this repeatedly with no success... I have a Dlink 604+ ADSL wifi router modem and it works fine on two of my PCs. The other one shows a signal varying almost regularly and about every second, from 80% ...

  1. Wifi signal fluctuates wildly on one PC

    Have Googled this repeatedly with no success...

    I have a Dlink 604+ ADSL wifi router modem and it works fine on two of my
    PCs.

    The other one shows a signal varying almost regularly and about every
    second, from 80% down to 40 or 50%. The connection works most of the time.

    I think the other two PCs donn't have this fluctuation.

    No neighbouring houses with wifi. No Dect phones. No video senders.

    Any suggestions? Could it be something to do with the way the system is set
    up?

    Thanks
    Mike

  2. Re: Wifi signal fluctuates wildly on one PC

    Hello,

    Apparently you have a signal issue or defective hardware/driver
    installation on that computer. What's the distance between the
    computer and Access Point/Router?

    Check if the signal issue remains if you put the computer closed to
    Access Point. If signal improves or seems to be stable, you'll need to
    add a second Access Point or a compatible Signal Extender device. If
    the computer have a network card with external antenna, check the
    antenna/connectors for damage. The computer should not be near any
    device that can cause interference, or electric lines, etc.

    Good luck,

    Daniel
    Interdesigner Software Development

    http://www.interdesigner.com
    http://www.networkclipboard.com
    http://www.comparatorfast.com
    http://www.shutdowntools.com

    "MP" wrote in message news:...
    > Have Googled this repeatedly with no success...
    >

    > I have a Dlink 604+ ADSL wifi router modem and it works fine on two of my
    > PCs.
    >
    > The other one shows a signal varying almost regularly and about every
    > second, from 80% down to 40 or 50%. The connection works most of the time.
    >
    > I think the other two PCs donn't have this fluctuation.
    >
    > No neighbouring houses with wifi. No Dect phones. No video senders.
    >
    > Any suggestions? Could it be something to do with the way the system is set
    > up?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mike

  3. Re: Wifi signal fluctuates wildly on one PC

    Good advice.

    I would assume that the fluctuation is due to an attenuated path more than
    anything.
    Don't rule out bad connectors, cables, antennas.
    How many walls separate the two ends? Walls attenuate the signal a lot.
    Move the antennas around for better results.
    A USB wireless interface generally has enough cable to move the PC antenna
    around quite a bit - so that's an advantage compared to a PCI card with
    antenna on the back of the computer.
    Consider a better antenna if this doesn't work and if the nearby system
    tests are OK.
    All this perhaps after testing nearby to eliminate other system issues.
    But, moving the antenna around is a pretty easy place to start too!

    I got one marginal system with a PCI card / antenna to work by rotating the
    computer around about 45 degrees so the antenna was more directly "visible"
    to the other end of the link.

    Fred

    "Daniel" wrote in message
    news:f5f5636e.0410020842.31ac4c84@posting.google.c om...
    > Hello,
    >
    > Apparently you have a signal issue or defective hardware/driver
    > installation on that computer. What's the distance between the
    > computer and Access Point/Router?
    >
    > Check if the signal issue remains if you put the computer closed to
    > Access Point. If signal improves or seems to be stable, you'll need to
    > add a second Access Point or a compatible Signal Extender device. If
    > the computer have a network card with external antenna, check the
    > antenna/connectors for damage. The computer should not be near any
    > device that can cause interference, or electric lines, etc.
    >
    > Good luck,

    > Daniel
    > Interdesigner Software Development
    >
    > http://www.interdesigner.com
    > http://www.networkclipboard.com
    > http://www.comparatorfast.com
    > http://www.shutdowntools.com
    >
    > "MP" wrote in message
    >> Have Googled this repeatedly with no success...
    >>

    >> I have a Dlink 604+ ADSL wifi router modem and it works fine on two of my
    >> PCs.
    >>
    >> The other one shows a signal varying almost regularly and about every
    >> second, from 80% down to 40 or 50%. The connection works most of the
    >> time.
    >>
    >> I think the other two PCs donn't have this fluctuation.
    >>
    >> No neighbouring houses with wifi. No Dect phones. No video senders.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions? Could it be something to do with the way the system is
    >> set
    >> up?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Mike