Network Configuration Wireless - Network

This is a discussion on Network Configuration Wireless - Network ; I am trying to set up a wireless router into our existing network at work. Here is the current setup: MODEM | ROUTER (supplied and configured by ISP) | SERVER (firewall, dns) | SWITCH--uplink---SWITCH | | PC's PC's I was ...

  1. Network Configuration Wireless

    I am trying to set up a wireless router into our existing network at work.
    Here is the current setup:

    MODEM

    ROUTER (supplied and configured by ISP)

    SERVER (firewall, dns)

    SWITCH--uplink---SWITCH
    | |
    PC's PC's

    I was wondering where the router should go? (i was thinking between server
    and switch)
    Also will this router interfere with the other router supplied with my ISP?
    How should I configure this router (local IP etc)? I have heard that any
    routers added should have a new range of addresses ex. If the ISP router was
    giving out 192.168.2.XXX addresses then the router should be setup with a
    192.168.2.XXX address but it should assign 192.168.3.XXX addresses to the
    computers hooked up to it.

    Any input would be appricated. Also any links to websites would be helpful.
    Most web sites I find give you tutoorials on basic setup (1 router and
    nothing else)

    Thanks in advance

    AL

  2. Re: Network Configuration Wireless

    You might view this as "cascaded firewalls" or "cascaded NAT" - for which
    you can search and read things...

    My experience with a similar arrangement is that the ISP router is right
    where you want it. It will get its external (real internet) IP address from
    the modem/ISP so that won't be specified by you unless maybe you have a
    static IP address from the ISP. It will provide internal IP addresses most
    likely in the range 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 with 192.168.1.1 assigned
    to the router on the internal side.

    The server would then have IP address on the external side of 192.168.1.2 or
    above...
    The server would be on an internal IP address range of maybe
    192.168.2.1-.254 with the router having 192.168.2.1 and the computers on the
    LAN from .2 to .254
    We have WinProxy on server/firewalls like this. It was quite painless to
    add the router on the outside of the server - just an IP setting / address
    change for the server's outside interface.

    You may wish to show the ISP DNS server addresses as well as the
    server/firewall for DNS on the LAN computers.

    You really only need DHCP enabled on the inside of the server/firewall to
    have DHCP on the LAN.

    If there aren't many computers on the LAN, then you might switch the order
    of the router and the server just to save having a switch on the inside of
    the server. But that seems an unlikely driver for the architecture.

    Fred

    "Al" wrote in message
    >I am trying to set up a wireless router into our existing network at work.
    > Here is the current setup:
    >
    > MODEM
    > |
    > ROUTER (supplied and configured by ISP)
    > |
    > SERVER (firewall, dns)
    > |
    > SWITCH--uplink---SWITCH
    > | |
    > PC's PC's
    >
    > I was wondering where the router should go? (i was thinking between server
    > and switch)
    > Also will this router interfere with the other router supplied with my
    > ISP?
    > How should I configure this router (local IP etc)? I have heard that any
    > routers added should have a new range of addresses ex. If the ISP router
    > was
    > giving out 192.168.2.XXX addresses then the router should be setup with a
    > 192.168.2.XXX address but it should assign 192.168.3.XXX addresses to the
    > computers hooked up to it.
    >
    > Any input would be appricated. Also any links to websites would be
    > helpful.
    > Most web sites I find give you tutoorials on basic setup (1 router and
    > nothing else)
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > AL

+ Reply to Thread