ADSL and Dial-up bandwidth - Network

This is a discussion on ADSL and Dial-up bandwidth - Network ; For dial-up connection, the downloading speed is reduced by uploading speed, if I'm not wrong. How about ADSL connection, does the uploading also cut down the downloading ? Thanks for replying....

  1. ADSL and Dial-up bandwidth

    For dial-up connection, the downloading speed is reduced by uploading speed,
    if I'm not wrong.
    How about ADSL connection, does the uploading also cut down the downloading
    ?
    Thanks for replying.

  2. Re: ADSL and Dial-up bandwidth

    "franki" wrote in

    > How about ADSL connection, does the uploading also cut down the
    > downloading ?

    Not unless you saturate the upload completely. Basically the upstream and
    downstream have their own bandwidth channels however when downloading your
    system must continually acknowledge each packet. If the upstream is
    saturated then the acknowledgements take a lot longer to get out and the
    sending server will slow down the amount of data it sends accordingly.

    --
    Colin

  3. Re: ADSL and Dial-up bandwidth

    what do you mean by saturate? please explain further... base on my
    experience, the uploading coz the downloading fluctuate more hence it slow
    the downloading down a bit....

    "cw" wrote in message
    > "franki" wrote in
    >
    > > How about ADSL connection, does the uploading also cut down the
    > > downloading ?

    > Not unless you saturate the upload completely. Basically the upstream and
    > downstream have their own bandwidth channels however when downloading your
    > system must continually acknowledge each packet. If the upstream is
    > saturated then the acknowledgements take a lot longer to get out and the
    > sending server will slow down the amount of data it sends accordingly.
    >
    > --
    > Colin
    > *Drop DEAD from the email address to reply*

  4. Re: ADSL and Dial-up bandwidth

    The simple answer is that they share resources - so you might expect some
    interaction. Beyond that, how much interaction and why is conjecture.

    Surely if one part of the system (modem, the line, ethernet, etc.) is fully
    loaded (i.e. saturated) by either an upload or download then starting
    another such process will demonstrate that fact by there being less than
    maximum performance.

    On the other hand, if your ISP throttles your data upload and download rates
    such that NO part of the system is ever fully loaded then there may be no
    impact at all.

    Fred

    "franki" wrote in message
    > what do you mean by saturate? please explain further... base on my
    > experience, the uploading coz the downloading fluctuate more hence it slow
    > the downloading down a bit....
    >
    > "cw" wrote in message
    >> "franki" wrote in
    >>
    >> > How about ADSL connection, does the uploading also cut down the
    >> > downloading ?

    >> Not unless you saturate the upload completely. Basically the upstream and
    >> downstream have their own bandwidth channels however when downloading
    >> your
    >> system must continually acknowledge each packet. If the upstream is
    >> saturated then the acknowledgements take a lot longer to get out and the
    >> sending server will slow down the amount of data it sends accordingly.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Colin
    >> *Drop DEAD from the email address to reply*

  5. Re: ADSL and Dial-up bandwidth

    Thanks for both Fred and Colin...

    "Fred Marshall" wrote in message
    > The simple answer is that they share resources - so you might expect some
    > interaction. Beyond that, how much interaction and why is conjecture.
    >
    > Surely if one part of the system (modem, the line, ethernet, etc.) is

    fully
    > loaded (i.e. saturated) by either an upload or download then starting
    > another such process will demonstrate that fact by there being less than
    > maximum performance.
    >
    > On the other hand, if your ISP throttles your data upload and download

    rates
    > such that NO part of the system is ever fully loaded then there may be no
    > impact at all.
    >
    > Fred
    >
    > "franki" wrote in message
    > > what do you mean by saturate? please explain further... base on my
    > > experience, the uploading coz the downloading fluctuate more hence it

    slow
    > > the downloading down a bit....
    > >
    > > "cw" wrote in message
    > >> "franki" wrote in

    > >> Not unless you saturate the upload completely. Basically the upstream

    and
    > >> downstream have their own bandwidth channels however when downloading
    > >> your
    > >> system must continually acknowledge each packet. If the upstream is
    > >> saturated then the acknowledgements take a lot longer to get out and

    the
    > >> sending server will slow down the amount of data it sends accordingly.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Colin
    > >> *Drop DEAD from the email address to reply*

  6. Re: ADSL and Dial-up bandwidth

    > Not unless you saturate the upload completely. Basically the upstream and
    > downstream have their own bandwidth channels however when downloading your
    > system must continually acknowledge each packet. If the upstream is
    > saturated then the acknowledgements take a lot longer to get out and the
    > sending server will slow down the amount of data it sends accordingly.

    Very nice explanation.

    Tanel.

+ Reply to Thread