    on the win95 PC.

    Thx,

  2. Re: File Transfer

    On 2004-09-29, yeskay wrote:
    > I have an old PC running Win95. I have to transfer files from it
    > to a new laptop running XP. Since there are a lot of files, I don't
    > want to use the floppy disk. I think we can connect the two PCs on
    > the Parallet port or the Serial port to transfer files. Has anyone
    > done this before? Any direction will be helpful.
    >

    > I got the XP open a n/w connection on the LPT1 port, but the win95
    > pc is not accepting the connections. I think I need to set something
    > on the win95 PC.

    I have a Mobile Disk external data storage device that you hook laptop
    HDDs to. What I do in your situation is hook the laptop drive up to the
    PC using the USB connection and then transfer from the computers drive
    to the laptop. The device was ~$20 so it is relatively reasonable to
    purchase one.

    If that PC doesn't support USB take that drive out and slave it to a
    computer that does if you can do that.

    --
    "Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender:
    'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second string says

  3. Re: File Transfer

    I've done it successfully via a parallel crossover (aka Laplink) cable.
    Having a parallel crossover cable is essential.
    I just tried to do it again and failed because I couldn't get past password
    issues that appeared. So, I'm not sure what to recommend in that regard
    right now!

    Had the older computer had ethernet then it would have been pretty simple.
    The older computer did not have ethernet but did have USB.
    In this case, I used a USB to ethernet adapter on the older computer and set
    up a LAN connection with an ethernet switch (or hub) to transfer the files.

    Fred

    "Digitlcoup" wrote in message
    news:slrncllpog.549.digitlcoupNOSPAM@digitlcoup.or g...
    > On 2004-09-29, yeskay wrote:
    >> I have an old PC running Win95. I have to transfer files from it
    >> to a new laptop running XP. Since there are a lot of files, I don't
    >> want to use the floppy disk. I think we can connect the two PCs on
    >> the Parallet port or the Serial port to transfer files. Has anyone
    >> done this before? Any direction will be helpful.
    >>

    >> I got the XP open a n/w connection on the LPT1 port, but the win95
    >> pc is not accepting the connections. I think I need to set something
    >> on the win95 PC.
    >>

    > I have a Mobile Disk external data storage device that you hook laptop
    > HDDs to. What I do in your situation is hook the laptop drive up to the
    > PC using the USB connection and then transfer from the computers drive
    > to the laptop. The device was ~$20 so it is relatively reasonable to
    > purchase one.
    >
    > If that PC doesn't support USB take that drive out and slave it to a
    > computer that does if you can do that.
    >
    > --
    > "Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender:
    > 'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second
    > string says
    > : 'Pardon my friend, he isn't NULL terminated'."

+ Reply to Thread