WinXP home Administrator rights - Network

This is a discussion on WinXP home Administrator rights - Network ; I am having a problem here that just started for some odd reason. I have a home network all the computers except for one is a wired connection. My laptop is wireless. When I try to access the laptop I ...

  1. WinXP home Administrator rights

    I am having a problem here that just started for some odd reason.
    I have a home network all the computers except for one is a wired
    connection. My laptop is wireless. When I try to access the laptop I am
    getting a 'permission denied" I have checked the laptop , the entire c:
    drive is shared.
    I am going nuts here. Any suggestions?

    Cindy

    --
    All outgoing mail scanned for viruses.

  2. Re: WinXP home Administrator rights

    I should have mentioned that I have disabled the firewall, so that not the
    problem.
    The problem seems to have started after I set the laptop up for printing to
    another computer and installing a network connection (wireless) to access
    the internet from college.

    Thanks again.

    Cindy

    --
    "Cindy" wrote in message
    news:QvY2d.76505$Np2.16471@bignews4.bellsouth.net. ..
    > I am having a problem here that just started for some odd reason.
    > I have a home network all the computers except for one is a wired
    > connection. My laptop is wireless. When I try to access the laptop I am
    > getting a 'permission denied" I have checked the laptop , the entire c:
    > drive is shared.
    > I am going nuts here. Any suggestions?
    >

    > Cindy
    >

    > --
    > All outgoing mail scanned for viruses.

  3. Re: WinXP home Administrator rights

    Cindy,

    I would take a look at the network protocols that are installed on all those
    computers.
    Not only do you *only* need TCP/IP, having other protocols installed on one
    computer and not others can cause wierdness.

    If you're worried, write down what you remove and from which computer and
    you can always reinstall the protocols easily enough. But, if they're
    needed it would be for a very peculiar reason.

    Do this:

    1) Control Panel, Network ... , Properties [of the interface you're using on
    this network]
    Remove IPX and NetBEUI if they are installed.
    Confirm that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled.

    2) Be patient. It will take a while (like as much as 30 minutes) for the
    computers to recognize that the others are on the network. Don't panic and
    start changing things in the interim.
    [I've not found a way to accelerate this process. I've wondered if turning
    off all the computers and turning them on one at a time wouldn't help speed
    things up - but I've never made the effort to do this].

    3) In the mean time, confirm that all of the computers are in the same
    Workgroup.
    Control Panel, System. If not, this needs to be fixed so they are the same:
    Select Change in the Identification dialog.

    When all of the computers have only TCP/IP, then all the computers and
    printers in the Workgroup should be visible.

    All this assumes you don't have a Domain name on any of the computers. You
    don't need or want this - unless you're on a campus or company network that
    requires it.

    When this is done, if you still have problems start checking the status of
    firewalls:
    Windows XP firewall - under Network, [the interface], Properties, Advanced.
    Installed firewalls like Norton, McAfee or ZoneAlarm should have the range
    of IP addresses for your network listed in their Trusted Zone.

    You might do this latter thing first if you're uncomfortable with the
    protocols settings. But setting up things like printers can be tricky if
    you can't "see" them on the network first. It could force you to install
    the printer using the computer and printer name in the format
    \\(computer)\(printer) or \\(IP address of the computer)\(printer)
    where:
    (computer) and (printer) represent the computer and printer names (without
    the parentheses) like \\Cindy\Printer1.

    Fred

    "Cindy" wrote in message
    news:9SY2d.76509$Np2.72491@bignews4.bellsouth.net. ..
    > I should have mentioned that I have disabled the firewall, so that not the
    > problem.
    > The problem seems to have started after I set the laptop up for printing

    > another computer and installing a network connection (wireless) to access
    > the internet from college.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > Cindy
    >
    > --
    > All outgoing mail scanned for viruses.
    > "Cindy" wrote in message
    > news:QvY2d.76505$Np2.16471@bignews4.bellsouth.net. ..
    > > I am having a problem here that just started for some odd reason.
    > > I have a home network all the computers except for one is a wired
    > > connection. My laptop is wireless. When I try to access the laptop I am
    > > getting a 'permission denied" I have checked the laptop , the entire c:
    > > drive is shared.
    > > I am going nuts here. Any suggestions?
    > >

    > > Cindy
    > >

    > > --
    > > All outgoing mail scanned for viruses.

  4. Re: WinXP home Administrator rights

    Thanks for the information Fred!
    I can see the laptop, I can access the main C: drive files but thats as
    far as it will let me go. Then I get the dread "access is denied" Funny
    thing is that I can get the the shared folder
    I know all of the c: drive is shared. . I dont have the firewalls
    activated at this time either.
    I will take your advice and look as you specified. If that doesnt work,
    I will be back here... You guys are great

    Cindy

    --
    "Fred Marshall" wrote in message
> [...]

    the
    > > problem.
    > > The problem seems to have started after I set the laptop up for printing

    > > another computer and installing a network connection (wireless) to

    access
    > > the internet from college.
    > >
    > > Thanks again.
    > >
    > > Cindy
    > >
    > > --
    > > All outgoing mail scanned for viruses.
    > > "Cindy" wrote in message
    > > news:QvY2d.76505$Np2.16471@bignews4.bellsouth.net. ..
    > > > I am having a problem here that just started for some odd reason.
    > > > I have a home network all the computers except for one is a wired
    > > > connection. My laptop is wireless. When I try to access the laptop I

    am
    > > > getting a 'permission denied" I have checked the laptop , the entire

+ Reply to Thread