Assigning a static ip - Network

This is a discussion on Assigning a static ip - Network ; Is it possible to get the router to accept my computers static adress which is not in the subnet that my router assigns adresses in? If I let my router assign IP's, it will give me an adresses in the ...

  1. Assigning a static ip

    Is it possible to get the router to accept my computers static adress which
    is not in the subnet that my router assigns adresses in?

    If I let my router assign IP's, it will give me an adresses in the
    192.168.1.x range, and I can also make a static assignment in that range and
    still ping the router. But if I try to assign myself a totally different IP
    (ex. 32.54.1.5) then I am unable to ping the router, regardless if the
    router is connected to the public net or not.

    Is there any way to do this?

  2. Re: Assigning a static ip

    Jesper wrote:
    > Is it possible to get the router to accept my computers static adress which
    > is not in the subnet that my router assigns adresses in?
    >
    > If I let my router assign IP's, it will give me an adresses in the
    > 192.168.1.x range, and I can also make a static assignment in that range and
    > still ping the router. But if I try to assign myself a totally different IP
    > (ex. 32.54.1.5) then I am unable to ping the router, regardless if the
    > router is connected to the public net or not.
    >
    > Is there any way to do this?

    No, not really. If the router doesn't know the subnet you're on, it
    doesn't know which port to forward the data.

    Unknown subnet = send data to default gateway

+ Reply to Thread