Internet Sharing between XP Home and Pro - Network

This is a discussion on Internet Sharing between XP Home and Pro - Network ; Anyone can help me out with this problem please?? I want to share internet between a PC with and XP Pro and a notebook having the XP home edition. I set up the network using a crossover cable between the ...

  1. Internet Sharing between XP Home and Pro

    Anyone can help me out with this problem please??

    I want to share internet between a PC with and XP Pro and a notebook
    having the XP home edition.

    I set up the network using a crossover cable between the network cards
    on both computers. The internet connection is going through the PC
    using a USB DSL modem. The computers are identifying each other when
    connecting them together.

    I setup a workgroup
    Changed the IPs
    Set the files and printing to sharing
    Set the internet connection to shared

    It didnt work up to now. Any suggestions?

  2. Re: Internet Sharing between XP Home and Pro

    Can the computer that has the modem attached to it see the internet?

    The ICS tab on the cable modem should be ticked, and this will turn
    that machine into a DHCP server with fixed ip address.

    The other machine should be set to obtain ip address automatically, so
    it picks up the correct settings from the ICS server. You may also
    need to follow the internet explorer setup wizard (found within
    tools->internet options->connections->setup) to say you are accessing
    the web through a lan.

    jahel_g@hotmail.com (JG) wrote in message news:<9b763037.0409140444.3b0681b@posting.google.com>...
    > Anyone can help me out with this problem please??
    >
    > I want to share internet between a PC with and XP Pro and a notebook
    > having the XP home edition.
    >
    > I set up the network using a crossover cable between the network cards
    > on both computers. The internet connection is going through the PC
    > using a USB DSL modem. The computers are identifying each other when
    > connecting them together.
    >
    > I setup a workgroup
    > Changed the IPs
    > Set the files and printing to sharing
    > Set the internet connection to shared
    >
    > It didnt work up to now. Any suggestions?

  3. Re: Internet Sharing between XP Home and Pro

    Maybe it works this way:

    - Switch off any Firewall on both Computers - You can switch them on
    again later (Note that Zonealarm on the PC will not allow the Laptop
    to access the Internet when you have configured the Internet-Zone -on
    the PC- with Security high!).
    - You have to allow the sharing of the Internet-Connection in the
    Properties of the DSL-Connection of the PC (and NOT in the Properties
    of the LAN-Connection to your Laptop!)
    - You DSL-Connection has an automatic IP-Adresse (from your Provider
    when you log in)
    - Your LAN-Connection on the PC has the IP 192.168.0.1 and the Subnet
    Mask 255.255.255.0

    Your Laptop has his TCP/IP configured with a static IP-Adresse:
    192.168.0.2 Subnetmask 255.255.255.0 and Standardgateway 192.168.0.1 ,
    The DNS ist 192.168.0.1 too.

    Good luck
    Sharky

    grolschuk@aol.com (James) wrote in message news:<279dc4f7.0409142346.228c1e0@posting.google.com>...
    > Can the computer that has the modem attached to it see the internet?
    >
    > The ICS tab on the cable modem should be ticked, and this will turn
    > that machine into a DHCP server with fixed ip address.
    >
    > The other machine should be set to obtain ip address automatically, so
    > it picks up the correct settings from the ICS server. You may also
    > need to follow the internet explorer setup wizard (found within
    > tools->internet options->connections->setup) to say you are accessing
    > the web through a lan.
    >
    > jahel_g@hotmail.com (JG) wrote in message news:<9b763037.0409140444.3b0681b@posting.google.com>...
    > > Anyone can help me out with this problem please??
    > >
    > > I want to share internet between a PC with and XP Pro and a notebook
    > > having the XP home edition.
    > >
    > > I set up the network using a crossover cable between the network cards
    > > on both computers. The internet connection is going through the PC
    > > using a USB DSL modem. The computers are identifying each other when
    > > connecting them together.
    > >
    > > I setup a workgroup
    > > Changed the IPs
    > > Set the files and printing to sharing
    > > Set the internet connection to shared
    > >
    > > It didnt work up to now. Any suggestions?

+ Reply to Thread