Netgear router dropping conx, and you can't blame AOL. - Network

This is a discussion on Netgear router dropping conx, and you can't blame AOL. - Network ; I am setting up a new netgear wgr614v4 on someone's PC. Here is how things were, before I tried to set the router up, when everything was working fine: This is a setup that should have no problems whatsoever: She ...

  1. Netgear router dropping conx, and you can't blame AOL.

    I am setting up a new netgear wgr614v4 on someone's PC. Here is how
    things were, before I tried to set the router up, when everything was
    working fine:

    This is a setup that should have no problems whatsoever: She has a
    Dell PC, WinXP pro, cable modem (RCN is the provider), AOL 9 (not the
    provider, it just piggybacks her cable modem connection), and some
    basic 10/100 card that came with the dell.

    That all works fine.

    I installed the new wgr614v4, did all the basic default settings,
    nothing fancy. The PC is connected to the router wiredly, not
    wirelessly. Everything works, she can get on the web. Except:

    AOL is now crawling slow. And it disconnects erratically, randomly,
    which it didn't before. It's unusable.

    You're all clicking your reply buttons to tell me how much AOL sucks.
    I know that. I agree. That's also the wrong response, AOL cannot be
    blamed here.

    The presence of the router is supposed to be transparent to any
    application running on the PC. Hell, it's supposed to be transparent
    to the OS (XP) itself. If AOL worked fine before the router, it ought
    to work fine after, or it's the router's fault (or something else's
    fault, etc). As much as we hate AOL, it's not to blame. (And btw,
    the web is pretty slow now too...)

    I tried changing mtu settings, brought it down as far as 1300.
    I made sure the router is faking it's mac address correctly.

    Does netgear just suck or what?

  2. Re: Netgear router dropping conx, and you can't blame AOL.

    dterrors@hotmail.com (mrbog) wrote in news:cbd4bb52.0409131833.327de458
    @posting.google.com:

    > I am setting up a new netgear wgr614v4 on someone's PC. Here is how
    > things were, before I tried to set the router up, when everything was
    > working fine:
    >
    > This is a setup that should have no problems whatsoever: She has a
    > Dell PC, WinXP pro, cable modem (RCN is the provider), AOL 9 (not the
    > provider, it just piggybacks her cable modem connection), and some
    > basic 10/100 card that came with the dell.
    >
    > That all works fine.
    >
    > I installed the new wgr614v4, did all the basic default settings,
    > nothing fancy. The PC is connected to the router wiredly, not
    > wirelessly. Everything works, she can get on the web. Except:
    >
    > AOL is now crawling slow. And it disconnects erratically, randomly,
    > which it didn't before. It's unusable.
    >
    > You're all clicking your reply buttons to tell me how much AOL sucks.
    > I know that. I agree. That's also the wrong response, AOL cannot be
    > blamed here.
    >
    > The presence of the router is supposed to be transparent to any
    > application running on the PC. Hell, it's supposed to be transparent
    > to the OS (XP) itself. If AOL worked fine before the router, it ought
    > to work fine after, or it's the router's fault (or something else's
    > fault, etc). As much as we hate AOL, it's not to blame. (And btw,
    > the web is pretty slow now too...)
    >
    > I tried changing mtu settings, brought it down as far as 1300.
    > I made sure the router is faking it's mac address correctly.
    >
    > Does netgear just suck or what?

    Yes, but that's probably not the problem. You shouldn't need to mess
    with the MTU and leavign it set to the default is probably best. Have
    you verified that you have up to date firmware in the router? V5.0_2 is
    the lastest for that model and was just released in June. I'd try
    flashing it to see if that solves any of your problems.

  3. Re: Netgear router dropping conx, and you can't blame AOL.

    > Yes, but that's probably not the problem. You shouldn't need to mess
    > with the MTU and leavign it set to the default is probably best. Have
    > you verified that you have up to date firmware in the router? V5.0_2 is
    > the lastest for that model and was just released in June. I'd try
    > flashing it to see if that solves any of your problems.

    Thanks, well, I bought the router in late August, new. So I'm really
    doubting that my firmware is too old. But I'll hook the damn thing
    all back up and check (if I can figure out where to check that).

+ Reply to Thread