VPN connects but I can't see shares - Network

This is a discussion on VPN connects but I can't see shares - Network ; Hi. My workplace recently set up a VPN. At home I have a Verizon cable modem and a Linksys WRK54G wireless router. I can log on to the VPN and view the folders/files on the server just fine when I ...

  1. VPN connects but I can't see shares

    Hi.

    My workplace recently set up a VPN. At home I have a Verizon cable
    modem and a Linksys WRK54G wireless router.

    I can log on to the VPN and view the folders/files on the server just
    fine when I connect my computer directly to my cable modem. However,
    when I connect through the router (either wireless or with a cable), I
    can log on to the VPN (successfully) but I can't see any of the files or
    shares on the server.

    What do I need to do in order to be able to see the files on the server
    through my router?

    Interestingly, when I am connected to the VPN through the router, I can
    view http:// in my web browser, even through I cannot
    view the files on the server (or any other websites). So the problem is
    in viewing the files, not in actually connecting, I think.

    My router is configured to enable VPN passthroughs, but what other
    settings am I missing?

    Thank you in advance for your help,

    -Casey

  2. Re: VPN connects but I can't see shares

    C Williams wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > My workplace recently set up a VPN. At home I have a Verizon cable
    > modem and a Linksys WRK54G wireless router.
    >
    > I can log on to the VPN and view the folders/files on the server just
    > fine when I connect my computer directly to my cable modem. However,
    > when I connect through the router (either wireless or with a cable), I
    > can log on to the VPN (successfully) but I can't see any of the files or
    > shares on the server.
    >
    > What do I need to do in order to be able to see the files on the server
    > through my router?
    >
    > Interestingly, when I am connected to the VPN through the router, I can
    > view http:// in my web browser, even through I cannot
    > view the files on the server (or any other websites). So the problem is
    > in viewing the files, not in actually connecting, I think.
    >
    > My router is configured to enable VPN passthroughs, but what other
    > settings am I missing?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your help,
    >
    > -Casey

    Change the LAN IP range on your router, Your internal network addresses
    are conflicting with your workplace.

    --
    WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
    Mike Drechsler (mike-newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)

  3. Re: VPN connects but I can't see shares

    Mike Drechsler - SPAM PROTECTED EMAIL wrote:
    > C Williams wrote:
    >
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> My workplace recently set up a VPN. At home I have a Verizon cable
    >> modem and a Linksys WRK54G wireless router.
    >>
    >> I can log on to the VPN and view the folders/files on the server just
    >> fine when I connect my computer directly to my cable modem. However,
    >> when I connect through the router (either wireless or with a cable), I
    >> can log on to the VPN (successfully) but I can't see any of the files
    >> or shares on the server.
    >>
    >> What do I need to do in order to be able to see the files on the
    >> server through my router?
    >>
    >> Interestingly, when I am connected to the VPN through the router, I
    >> can view http:// in my web browser, even through I
    >> cannot view the files on the server (or any other websites). So the
    >> problem is in viewing the files, not in actually connecting, I think.
    >>
    >> My router is configured to enable VPN passthroughs, but what other
    >> settings am I missing?
    >>
    >> Thank you in advance for your help,
    >>
    >> -Casey

    > Change the LAN IP range on your router, Your internal network addresses
    > are conflicting with your workplace.

    Thank you Mike. That was exactly the problem. I am clearly not a
    network-savvy user! :-)

    -Casey

+ Reply to Thread