PCAnywhere: Beginner - Network

This is a discussion on PCAnywhere: Beginner - Network ; I could use some help at the beginner level. Fairly adept with PC's but weak in the network area. I am trying to connect two PC's via PCAnywhere 10.5. Both are running XP. One PC is at my parent's house ...

  1. PCAnywhere: Beginner

    I could use some help at the beginner level. Fairly adept with PC's
    but weak in the network area.

    I am trying to connect two PC's via PCAnywhere 10.5. Both are running
    XP. One PC is at my parent's house and on a wireless router. Broadband
    is supplied by cable. The other PC (mine) is on a wired router and is
    on DSL.

    I have done some research but don't seem to get the big picture on how
    to achieve connectivity with the number of variables. I understand
    that the remote must acquire the host's IP address, but with the
    routers in front and with neither provider providing static IP
    addresses, I don't know how to proceed. I also have an active domain
    and website, but am not sure how that helps.

    Can someone advise me with specific advice or point me to a link that
    does so?

    Thank you.

    skim

  2. Re: PCAnywhere: Beginner

    Hi,

    Your router will need to forward the port numbers for pcanywhere to your
    internal ip addressed pc. You'll fiind it under something like port
    forwarding. I think the ports for pcanywhere are 5631 and 5632. Forward
    both to your network through the router. Don't give your ip address away
    over this newsgroup and use some form of encryption on your pcanywhere
    password.

    Good luck.

    Mike.

    "skim500" wrote in message
    news:a1209d19.0409130910.2d8f6cae@posting.google.c om...
    > I could use some help at the beginner level. Fairly adept with PC's
    > but weak in the network area.
    >
    > I am trying to connect two PC's via PCAnywhere 10.5. Both are running
    > XP. One PC is at my parent's house and on a wireless router. Broadband
    > is supplied by cable. The other PC (mine) is on a wired router and is
    > on DSL.
    >
    > I have done some research but don't seem to get the big picture on how
    > to achieve connectivity with the number of variables. I understand
    > that the remote must acquire the host's IP address, but with the
    > routers in front and with neither provider providing static IP
    > addresses, I don't know how to proceed. I also have an active domain
    > and website, but am not sure how that helps.
    >
    > Can someone advise me with specific advice or point me to a link that
    > does so?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > skim

+ Reply to Thread