Laptops and broadband question ..Help!! - Network

This is a discussion on Laptops and broadband question ..Help!! - Network ; Hi I am thinking of getting broadband (AOL) for my athlon xp home pc. I also own a rather slower but useful laptop. I know it sounds crazy but I haven't got a clue how laptops work with broadband..if mine ...

  1. Laptops and broadband question ..Help!!

    Hi
    I am thinking of getting broadband (AOL) for my athlon xp home pc. I
    also own a rather slower but useful laptop. I know it sounds crazy but
    I haven't got a clue how laptops work with broadband..if mine will
    even.
    Once I have set up my broadband and say I am away somewhere with my
    laptop how can I use the laptop having signed up to broadband. I dont
    want to incur dial up charges. Any help for a novice much appreciated.
    Sue

  2. Re: Laptops and broadband question ..Help!!

    Hi Sue,

    The way that broadband works in this case is that BT will activate
    your phone line for broadband, so that when AOL send you your package,
    you can follow the instructions and away you go.

    For the laptop, you will be able to plug the broadband modem into it
    while at home, and all going well you will be on the internet.

    It is posible with some extra leads to share a broadband connection
    between the laptop and the home PC at the same time, even wirelessly
    if your laptop is upto the task. Have seen a lot of questions asking
    how to do this with AOL, and not sure if i have seen an answer, but
    should be doable.

    While you are away with your laptop, it isn't just a case of plugging
    your modem into any phone line, since it has to be broadband enabled
    at the other end. If visiting a friend who also has ADSL (not needing
    to be AOL's) then the chances are it should work.

    I "think" that with a broadband connection, the freephone numbers that
    are provided with aol will still work, which means you can dial up at
    slow speeds, but not get any phone charges while away.

    suedelete@aol.com (sue) wrote in message news:<104ba4ff.0409101315.688e1102@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi
    > I am thinking of getting broadband (AOL) for my athlon xp home pc. I
    > also own a rather slower but useful laptop. I know it sounds crazy but
    > I haven't got a clue how laptops work with broadband..if mine will
    > even.
    > Once I have set up my broadband and say I am away somewhere with my
    > laptop how can I use the laptop having signed up to broadband. I dont
    > want to incur dial up charges. Any help for a novice much appreciated.
    > Sue

+ Reply to Thread