OSI Model - Layers - Network

This is a discussion on OSI Model - Layers - Network ; Hi all, I 've heard that there are 7 layers in OSI model. My doubt is where does these layers lie in an actual network ? Also about the protocols used, where does these protocols run in a physical network ...

  1. OSI Model - Layers

    Hi all,

    I 've heard that there are 7 layers in OSI model. My doubt is where
    does these layers lie in an actual network ? Also about the protocols
    used, where does these protocols run in a physical network ? I mean in
    which hardware part ?
    can we list like the layer - protocol - hardware in which these reside
    ?

    Mike J Anto

  2. Re: OSI Model - Layers

    A quick google
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...ractical+model

    came up with this and many others
    http://www.frick-cpa.com/netess/Net_OSI.asp

    sreelalpp@gmail.com (sreelal) wrote in message news:<15efede9.0409091004.3c5695ad@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I 've heard that there are 7 layers in OSI model. My doubt is where
    > does these layers lie in an actual network ? Also about the protocols
    > used, where does these protocols run in a physical network ? I mean in
    > which hardware part ?
    > can we list like the layer - protocol - hardware in which these reside
    > ?
    >
    > Mike J Anto

  3. Re: OSI Model - Layers

    The best place to learn about the OSI model is probably in a text
    book, since this is really the only place it exists. The model more
    representative of the current internet would be the TCP model. A
    search on google is probably the best place to find information
    regarding how specific protocols fit into the layers.

    grolschuk@aol.com (James) wrote in message news:<279dc4f7.0409100013.7b0e61a0@posting.google.com>...
    > A quick google
    > http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...ractical+model
    >
    > came up with this and many others
    > http://www.frick-cpa.com/netess/Net_OSI.asp
    >

    > sreelalpp@gmail.com (sreelal) wrote in message news:<15efede9.0409091004.3c5695ad@posting.google.com>...
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I 've heard that there are 7 layers in OSI model. My doubt is where
    > > does these layers lie in an actual network ? Also about the protocols
    > > used, where does these protocols run in a physical network ? I mean in
    > > which hardware part ?
    > > can we list like the layer - protocol - hardware in which these reside
    > > ?
    > >
    > > Mike J Anto

+ Reply to Thread