Using Linksys Broadband Wirless Router as an Access Point - Network

This is a discussion on Using Linksys Broadband Wirless Router as an Access Point - Network ; I have a wired/wireless network setup: Cable Modem ---> Linksys 4 Port Router (Wired Only) -----Long Run Cat5----> 5 Port Switch ---> Various Wired PCs & 4 Port Wireless Router --- > Mac Powerbook G4 (Wireless) For sharing of resources ...

  1. Using Linksys Broadband Wirless Router as an Access Point

    I have a wired/wireless network setup:

    Cable Modem ---> Linksys 4 Port Router (Wired Only) -----Long Run
    Cat5----> 5 Port Switch ---> Various Wired PCs & 4 Port Wireless
    Router --- > Mac Powerbook G4 (Wireless)

    For sharing of resources and the fact that this is semipermanent but
    not THAT permanent setup I want the Wired Router to stay where it is
    as the main Router/Firewall. My question is I got the Wireless router
    to work, but the computers using it can not see the other computers on
    the network. Is there an easy way to make the Linksys Wireless Router
    act as only an Access Point or am I better off returning the Router
    for just the Access Point version. I assumed this would be an easy
    task and purchased the full Router version since they were the same
    price.

    The Wireless Router is the Linksys WRT54G Wireless G Broadband Router

  2. Re: Using Linksys Broadband Wirless Router as an Access Point

    Your best bet would be to turn off DHCP on the wireless router and
    make sure the switch is plugged into a normal LAN port on the router,
    not the WAN port. (A crossover cable may be required.) This way, the
    AP should act like a normal switch with wireless clients.

    Hope this helps,
    Scott

    bobby.kurtz@gmail.com (Bobby Kurtz) wrote in message news:...
    > I have a wired/wireless network setup:
    >

    > Cable Modem ---> Linksys 4 Port Router (Wired Only) -----Long Run
    > Cat5----> 5 Port Switch ---> Various Wired PCs & 4 Port Wireless
    > Router --- > Mac Powerbook G4 (Wireless)
    >
    > For sharing of resources and the fact that this is semipermanent but
    > not THAT permanent setup I want the Wired Router to stay where it is
    > as the main Router/Firewall. My question is I got the Wireless router
    > to work, but the computers using it can not see the other computers on
    > the network. Is there an easy way to make the Linksys Wireless Router
    > act as only an Access Point or am I better off returning the Router
    > for just the Access Point version. I assumed this would be an easy
    > task and purchased the full Router version since they were the same
    > price.
    >
    > The Wireless Router is the Linksys WRT54G Wireless G Broadband Router

+ Reply to Thread