Domain controller - Network

This is a discussion on Domain controller - Network ; Do you have to have a windows server edition to create a domain controller. or can you use just a windows 2000 or xp box. Is their any 3rd party domain controller software. erik...

  1. Domain controller

    Do you have to have a windows server edition to create a domain
    controller. or can you use just a windows 2000 or xp box. Is their any
    3rd party domain controller software.

    erik

  2. Re: Domain controller

    You need Windows 2000 server, advanced server or datacenter server or
    Windows 2003 server, advanced server or datacenter server. I really don't
    think 3rd party AD exists.

  3. Re: Domain controller

    There are not anything to my knowledge that has the same level of
    functionability as a domain controller unless you build it from
    scratch your self. you can Also use NT 3.5 or NT 4.0 server for a
    domain controller but its not active directory. Its SAM. SLOW, SLOW,
    SLOW. stay away from it if you can.

    Brent
    MCSE NT/2k/2k3

+ Reply to Thread