Any suggestions for low-cost WAN monitoring hardware - Network

This is a discussion on Any suggestions for low-cost WAN monitoring hardware - Network ; I am looking for some suggestions. I am managing a corporate WAN network for a global company. There are currently 27 WAN links to our 27 oversea offices. I need to monitor the network traffic for all 27 WAN links ...

  1. Any suggestions for low-cost WAN monitoring hardware

    I am looking for some suggestions. I am managing a corporate WAN network
    for a global company. There are currently 27 WAN links to our 27 oversea
    offices. I need to monitor the network traffic for all 27 WAN links (DS3 /
    T1 /E1) to ensure the quality of service over these links. I am going to
    run third party network monitoring software under RedHat O.S on desktop PCs.
    However, the size of PCs is too large to fit into our rack cabinets. I need
    something simple (low-cost) with rack mounting capability. I don't really
    need anything fast for the monitoring hardware. A Pentium III based rack
    mountable unit will 128MB will be sufficient. Thanks!

  2. Re: Any suggestions for low-cost WAN monitoring hardware

    Take a look at Colomachine's website.
    1U server

    "Jeff Lee" wrote in message news:...
    > I am looking for some suggestions. I am managing a corporate WAN network
    > for a global company. There are currently 27 WAN links to our 27 oversea
    > offices. I need to monitor the network traffic for all 27 WAN links (DS3 /
    > T1 /E1) to ensure the quality of service over these links. I am going to
    > run third party network monitoring software under RedHat O.S on desktop PCs.
    > However, the size of PCs is too large to fit into our rack cabinets. I need
    > something simple (low-cost) with rack mounting capability. I don't really
    > need anything fast for the monitoring hardware. A Pentium III based rack
    > mountable unit will 128MB will be sufficient. Thanks!

  3. Re: Any suggestions for low-cost WAN monitoring hardware

    27 Wan links and you want to enable cost effective monitoring? What is your budget?

  4. Re: Any suggestions for low-cost WAN monitoring hardware

    do you want it to be secure or just functionable? have you thought of
    using SNMP and MRTG. Its pretty cheap and it gives you a decent view
    of your bandwidth usage as well.

    http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/we...mrtg/mrtg.html

    theres the link if you want it.

    Also for network hardware if all your using are DS1/DS3's Just use
    7206's for your core routers and 2620's at the branch offices.
    www.networkhard.com is my company got all of its hardware. I would
    recommend OSPF if all your links are the same speed. if they aren't
    then try EIGRP.

    Brenton Roberts
    Network Administrator for Wirezweb Networking
    CCNP, MCSE NT/2k/2k3, A+, CNE

  5. Re: Any suggestions for low-cost WAN monitoring hardware

    My mistake the link is www.networkhardware.com and they deal in all
    types of network gear from DSL to OC-192's

+ Reply to Thread