gateway test - Network

This is a discussion on gateway test - Network ; how can I ping a computer in my network so that it responds using gateway? It is actually rather a hardware piece with an IP address and I would like to check (doing it from my workplace) that it is ...

  1. gateway test

    how can I ping a computer in my network so that it responds using
    gateway?
    It is actually rather a hardware piece with an IP address and I would
    like to check (doing it from my workplace) that it is responding to
    the outside world using assigned gateway.

    Andra

  2. Re: gateway test

    If its an externally routeable IP then you could use a website such as
    this to traceroute to it:

    http://www.netsys.com/cgi-bin/trace.cgi

    Failing that, just doing a traceroute from the machine itself will show
    you what route that computer is using to get to the outside world.

    --
    Colin

  3. Re: gateway test

    Your question really does not make sense. Your asking for... HOW do I
    test to see if my Undescribed Network Host Device responds to a
    gateway. If all is connected correctly and this Host has an IP
    Address and the default gateway properly inserted it should work.

  4. Re: gateway test

    thanks

    > If its an externally routeable IP then you could use a website such as
    > this to traceroute to it:
    >
    > http://www.netsys.com/cgi-bin/trace.cgi

    this "Hacker's Choice" tool uses UDP not ICMP, btw.

    > Failing that, just doing a traceroute from the machine itself will show
    > you what route that computer is using to get to the outside world.

    from the machine itself I cannot do anything, except change IP addr,
    subnet mask, gateway. That's why the question arose. And when testing
    that device from inside network, it does not use gateway, of course, -
    the gateway may be set to almost ANY number.

+ Reply to Thread