Question about Ethernet UTP cabling - Network

This is a discussion on Question about Ethernet UTP cabling - Network ; Hello all posters I thought someone here would be able to illuminate me on the following: Since Ethernet 10/100 over UTP cables and RJ45 connectors only uses two pairs of wires, is it possible to use the remaining two pairs ...

  1. Question about Ethernet UTP cabling

    Hello all posters

    I thought someone here would be able to illuminate me on the
    following:

    Since Ethernet 10/100 over UTP cables and RJ45 connectors only uses
    two pairs of wires, is it possible to use the remaining two pairs for
    another Ethernet connection without performance or stability problems?

    In this way, each four paired cable would be able to carry two
    connections, which would be very welcome in a building I'm working in;
    the cable ducts are already very crowded.

    What about Gigabit Ethernet?

    Thank you very much!

    Miguel Medalha

  2. Re: Question about Ethernet UTP cabling

    miguelmedalha@sapo.pt (Miguel Medalha) wrote in message news:<98f1ee4.0408302048.419fb3e0@posting.google.com>...
    > Hello all posters
    >
    > I thought someone here would be able to illuminate me on the
    > following:
    >
    > Since Ethernet 10/100 over UTP cables and RJ45 connectors only uses
    > two pairs of wires, is it possible to use the remaining two pairs for
    > another Ethernet connection without performance or stability problems?
    >
    > In this way, each four paired cable would be able to carry two
    > connections, which would be very welcome in a building I'm working in;
    > the cable ducts are already very crowded.

    Yes, that will work. A company I used to work for had such a design
    in some buildings.

    > What about Gigabit Ethernet?

    nope, gig uses all 4 pairs.

    > Thank you very much!
    >
    > Miguel Medalha

  3. Re: Question about Ethernet UTP cabling

    "Miguel Medalha" wrote in message
    news:98f1ee4.0408302048.419fb3e0@posting.google.co m...
    > Hello all posters
    >
    > I thought someone here would be able to illuminate me on the
    > following:
    >
    > Since Ethernet 10/100 over UTP cables and RJ45 connectors only uses
    > two pairs of wires, is it possible to use the remaining two pairs for
    > another Ethernet connection without performance or stability problems?
    >
    > In this way, each four paired cable would be able to carry two
    > connections, which would be very welcome in a building I'm working in;
    > the cable ducts are already very crowded.
    >
    > What about Gigabit Ethernet?
    >
    > Thank you very much!
    >
    > Miguel Medalha

    You can buy cable "economisers" to do exactly this - for example :-
    http://www.betterbox.com/scripts/ss0...B=A&SHOP=&ACTI
    ON.x=10&ACTION.y=9

    Lots of the networking catalogues have them

    Chris O

+ Reply to Thread