Wireless connection goes on and off - Network

This is a discussion on Wireless connection goes on and off - Network ; Hi, guys, I am using DSL at home from my local phone service provider and a D-Link 2.4 GHz wireless router. The problem I am suffering is that the wireless connection goes on and off, on and off very frequently, ...

  1. Wireless connection goes on and off

    Hi, guys, I am using DSL at home from my local phone service provider
    and a D-Link 2.4 GHz wireless router.

    The problem I am suffering is that the wireless connection goes on and
    off, on and off very frequently, even if my laptop is only a few yards
    away from the router. In other words, I keep losing IP address
    assigned by the wireless router.

    The same laptop has great wireless connection in the library of my
    school. So, the problem must not lie with my laptop. It must have to
    do with my wireless router or the environment at home where I try to
    use the wireless router.

    Please note that I have disabled Windows wireless zero configuration.

    Is there any solution to this problem? Will it help to simply replace
    this D-Link router?

    Thank you very much.

  2. Re: Wireless connection goes on and off

    Seems nobody is interested in this, or is it that nobody knows of any
    solution to this problem?

    The problem I mentioned really bugs me.

    antonyliu2002@yahoo.com (chad) wrote in message news:<14b36d18.0407292120.7dd599f2@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi, guys, I am using DSL at home from my local phone service provider
    > and a D-Link 2.4 GHz wireless router.
    >
    > The problem I am suffering is that the wireless connection goes on and
    > off, on and off very frequently, even if my laptop is only a few yards
    > away from the router. In other words, I keep losing IP address
    > assigned by the wireless router.
    >
    > The same laptop has great wireless connection in the library of my
    > school. So, the problem must not lie with my laptop. It must have to
    > do with my wireless router or the environment at home where I try to
    > use the wireless router.
    >
    > Please note that I have disabled Windows wireless zero configuration.
    >
    > Is there any solution to this problem? Will it help to simply replace
    > this D-Link router?
    >
    > Thank you very much.

  3. Re: Wireless connection goes on and off

    No, not uninterested. Its just that many things can cause intermittent
    connections.

    1) Could be interference with some other device in the home (cordless
    phone, etc.).
    2) Could be a problem with the devices (have you upgraded the device
    drivers to the most current?).
    3) I allow Wireless Zero Configuration service to run on mine, but note
    that some people get better results with it off. Suggest that you either
    run Wireless Zero Configuration service and let Windows manage the
    connection, or turn off Wireless Zero Configuration service and let the
    device software manage the connection.
    4) Could be a problem with another AP in the area. If other AP's are in
    the area, set your system to connect only to preferred AP's and only
    have your preferred AP's in the preferred AP list.

    chad wrote:

    >Seems nobody is interested in this, or is it that nobody knows of any
    >solution to this problem?
    >
    >The problem I mentioned really bugs me.
    >
    >antonyliu2002@yahoo.com (chad) wrote in message news:<14b36d18.0407292120.7dd599f2@posting.google.com>...
    >

    >>Hi, guys, I am using DSL at home from my local phone service provider
    >>and a D-Link 2.4 GHz wireless router.
    >>
    >>The problem I am suffering is that the wireless connection goes on and
    >>off, on and off very frequently, even if my laptop is only a few yards
    >>away from the router. In other words, I keep losing IP address
    >>assigned by the wireless router.
    >>
    >>The same laptop has great wireless connection in the library of my
    >>school. So, the problem must not lie with my laptop. It must have to
    >>do with my wireless router or the environment at home where I try to
    >>use the wireless router.
    >>
    >>Please note that I have disabled Windows wireless zero configuration.
    >>
    >>Is there any solution to this problem? Will it help to simply replace
    >>this D-Link router?
    >>
    >>Thank you very much.

  4. Re: Wireless connection goes on and off

    On 30 Jul 2004 21:55:32 -0700, antonyliu2002@yahoo.com (chad) wrote:

    >Seems nobody is interested in this, or is it that nobody knows of any
    >solution to this problem?
    >
    >The problem I mentioned really bugs me.

    Could be lots of things, but it sounds like it is *probably* something
    interferring such as a 2.4 gig cordless phone, web cam, another nearby
    system, or possibly a *licensed* service on or near the same
    frequency.

    A friend had the same problem and it was his 2.4 gig web cams and
    cordless phone taking out the network signal. Of course the
    interferrence was mutual and was detectable in the phone even if it
    was digital.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    >antonyliu2002@yahoo.com (chad) wrote in message news:<14b36d18.0407292120.7dd599f2@posting.google.com>...
    >> Hi, guys, I am using DSL at home from my local phone service provider
    >> and a D-Link 2.4 GHz wireless router.
    >>
    >> The problem I am suffering is that the wireless connection goes on and
    >> off, on and off very frequently, even if my laptop is only a few yards
    >> away from the router. In other words, I keep losing IP address
    >> assigned by the wireless router.
    >>
    >> The same laptop has great wireless connection in the library of my
    >> school. So, the problem must not lie with my laptop. It must have to
    >> do with my wireless router or the environment at home where I try to
    >> use the wireless router.
    >>
    >> Please note that I have disabled Windows wireless zero configuration.
    >>
    >> Is there any solution to this problem? Will it help to simply replace
    >> this D-Link router?
    >>
    >> Thank you very much.

+ Reply to Thread