Home network. Router&hub, or a pc as a router? - Network

This is a discussion on Home network. Router&hub, or a pc as a router? - Network ; Hi, for my house next year I'm sharing it with 6 other people. So obviously we will be sharing the internet, so we need a router to share it. Can I just get a router & hub? Plug the internet ...

  1. Home network. Router&hub, or a pc as a router?

    Hi, for my house next year I'm sharing it with 6 other people. So
    obviously we will be sharing the internet, so we need a router to
    share it. Can I just get a router & hub? Plug the internet into the
    router, and then the hub into the router, so people would connect
    their pc to the hub or the router? I've herd some people saying that
    it is cheaper and better to use an old pc and do it that way, can
    someone explain a little more about this? Bear in mind I hate networks
    and networking and will go insane if their are any problems so I want
    a solution idealy which will not have much area for things to go
    wrong.

    Thanks
    Jesse

  2. Re: Home network. Router&hub, or a pc as a router?

    JKJK@blueyonder.co.uk (JKJK) wrote in message news:<3e792dbb.0407221043.1c473256@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi, for my house next year I'm sharing it with 6 other people. So
    > obviously we will be sharing the internet, so we need a router to
    > share it. Can I just get a router & hub? Plug the internet into the
    > router, and then the hub into the router, so people would connect
    > their pc to the hub or the router? I've herd some people saying that
    > it is cheaper and better to use an old pc and do it that way, can
    > someone explain a little more about this? Bear in mind I hate networks
    > and networking and will go insane if their are any problems so I want
    > a solution idealy which will not have much area for things to go
    > wrong.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jesse

    Oh and I forgot, does it matter if I get a switch instead of a hub, do
    they do the same sort of thing. And then is it possible to give people
    bandwidth limits, so everyone has 50% of max bandwidth or whatever

  3. Re: Home network. Router&hub, or a pc as a router?

    i would advise you to take a 8-port 10/100 switch that will take care
    of all your needs and all of you will get nearly 100% of the
    bandwidth! Just plug in your cables and enjoy!

  4. Re: Home network. Router&hub, or a pc as a router?

    varunsajwan@gmail.com (Varun) wrote in message news:...
    > i would advise you to take a 8-port 10/100 switch that will take care
    > of all your needs and all of you will get nearly 100% of the
    > bandwidth! Just plug in your cables and enjoy!

    Is that some kind of joke?

  5. Re: Home network. Router&hub, or a pc as a router?

    JKJK@blueyonder.co.uk (JKJK) wrote in message news:<3e792dbb.0407271246.7c9f770d@posting.google.com>...
    > varunsajwan@gmail.com (Varun) wrote in message news:...
    > > i would advise you to take a 8-port 10/100 switch that will take care
    > > of all your needs and all of you will get nearly 100% of the
    > > bandwidth! Just plug in your cables and enjoy!

    > Is that some kind of joke?

    Since you are on a blueyonder email address, I assume you are planning
    to get a cable connection in your house next year?

    The way with the least hassle (with regards to setup, and cabling)
    would be a broadband router with wireless access (an example would be
    a Linksys WRT54g), or broadband router with 8 port switch (Linksys
    BEFSR81) either of these would connect to your cable modem, and share
    it with any of the computers that have connected to it.

    If you are getting ADSL, the boxes are sightly different and contain a
    modem, but in essence do the same job.

    As far as I know, there is little that can be done on these boxes that
    will limit bandwidth hogging, that tends to lie in the hands of
    seperate bits of software, of more expensive routers and switches.

    Unless someone is constantly downloading large files, there shouldn't
    be too much fighting for the bandwidth, and the file downloading
    software should have a throttle option somewhere.

    Hope that helps a little.

    James

  6. Re: Home network. Router&hub, or a pc as a router?

    grolschuk@aol.com (James) wrote in message news:<279dc4f7.0407300456.355a60ae@posting.google.com>...
    > JKJK@blueyonder.co.uk (JKJK) wrote in message news:<3e792dbb.0407271246.7c9f770d@posting.google.com>...
    > > varunsajwan@gmail.com (Varun) wrote in message news:...
    > > > i would advise you to take a 8-port 10/100 switch that will take care
    > > > of all your needs and all of you will get nearly 100% of the
    > > > bandwidth! Just plug in your cables and enjoy!

    > > Is that some kind of joke?

    > Since you are on a blueyonder email address, I assume you are planning
    > to get a cable connection in your house next year?
    >
    > The way with the least hassle (with regards to setup, and cabling)
    > would be a broadband router with wireless access (an example would be
    > a Linksys WRT54g), or broadband router with 8 port switch (Linksys
    > BEFSR81) either of these would connect to your cable modem, and share
    > it with any of the computers that have connected to it.
    >
    > If you are getting ADSL, the boxes are sightly different and contain a
    > modem, but in essence do the same job.
    >
    > As far as I know, there is little that can be done on these boxes that
    > will limit bandwidth hogging, that tends to lie in the hands of
    > seperate bits of software, of more expensive routers and switches.
    >
    > Unless someone is constantly downloading large files, there shouldn't
    > be too much fighting for the bandwidth, and the file downloading
    > software should have a throttle option somewhere.
    >

    > Hope that helps a little.
    >
    > James

    hey i guess you need an router with in-built access point (as i have
    one and have a capasity of almost 30 users online at a time using
    cable/wifi both) which will enable you to get connected with broadband
    internet direct using cables(cox ones) and also via wifi. You just
    have to assign IP address(as given by the broadband supplier)to the
    Router and plug in the network cable (the one comming from broadband
    supplier) into router and now the model is ready to use. Now you may
    connect to internet in both ways via cable or wifi. The router will
    assign ip frthers automatically.
    Hope all this helps.
    Bye
    Bhavya Agarwal