pc as router - Network

This is a discussion on pc as router - Network ; I have a PC with a network connection to an intranet and the internet. I would like to have access to this computer's files and the network through this computer. If I install a second NIC card can I plug ...

  1. pc as router

    I have a PC with a network connection to an intranet and the internet.
    I would like to have access to this computer's files and the network
    through this computer. If I install a second NIC card can I plug my
    laptop into it and have access to this computer and the internet
    through it? What software would I need? Thanks, JohnB.

  2. Re: pc as router

    sodakjohn@rushmore.com (JohnB) wrote in message news:<3f3a52e3.0407211949.5e6f82f1@posting.google.com>...
    > I have a PC with a network connection to an intranet and the internet.
    > I would like to have access to this computer's files and the network
    > through this computer. If I install a second NIC card can I plug my
    > laptop into it and have access to this computer and the internet
    > through it? What software would I need? Thanks, JohnB.

    What OS is the "server" running? How many NICs are currently in the
    "server?" Here's how you should do it:

    {{{ Internet }}}---->[public interface:: SERVER :rivate
    interface]--->{{{ Intranet }}}---->[switch/hub]<----laptop

    Public Interface holds ISP network info while the private holds your
    Intranet conx info: 192.168.x.x, or what have you. If you're running
    XP PRO, look at the help files or online docs about connection and
    file sharing. If you're running Linux, consult the MAN pages about
    conx sharing and file permissions. (Linux could be a burley task w/
    ~no experience.) It shouldn't be too much harder for you from there.

    Good luck!

  3. Re: pc as router

    www.zebra.org
    if you are using Linux OS.

    "sLam-Tastic" wrote in message
    news:fd813638.0407280958.304e5e6c@posting.google.c om...
    > sodakjohn@rushmore.com (JohnB) wrote in message
    >> I have a PC with a network connection to an intranet and the internet.
    >> I would like to have access to this computer's files and the network
    >> through this computer. If I install a second NIC card can I plug my
    >> laptop into it and have access to this computer and the internet
    >> through it? What software would I need? Thanks, JohnB.

    > What OS is the "server" running? How many NICs are currently in the
    > "server?" Here's how you should do it:
    >
    > {{{ Internet }}}---->[public interface:: SERVER :rivate
    > interface]--->{{{ Intranet }}}---->[switch/hub]<----laptop
    >
    > Public Interface holds ISP network info while the private holds your
    > Intranet conx info: 192.168.x.x, or what have you. If you're running
    > XP PRO, look at the help files or online docs about connection and
    > file sharing. If you're running Linux, consult the MAN pages about
    > conx sharing and file permissions. (Linux could be a burley task w/
    > ~no experience.) It shouldn't be too much harder for you from there.
    >

    > Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread