Very Odd Windows 2000 <-> Windows 98 Problem - Network

This is a discussion on Very Odd Windows 2000 <-> Windows 98 Problem - Network ; Hello networkers, I'm stumped and I think I'm going to need your collective nous to solve this problem! Computer A runs Win2K, and a home network (using CAT5 cross-over cable) is set up with computer B, which runs Win98. The ...

  1. Very Odd Windows 2000 <-> Windows 98 Problem

    Hello networkers,

    I'm stumped and I think I'm going to need your collective nous to solve this
    problem!

    Computer A runs Win2K, and a home network (using CAT5 cross-over cable) is
    set up with computer B, which runs Win98. The two computers can see one
    another in Windows Explorer and file sharing is no problem.

    Internet <----> CompA <------> CompB
    Win2K Win98

    Computer A is connected to the internet via cable modem, and Computer B is
    set up to access the internet via computer A. However the internet access
    experienced by B is intermittent. Some webpages refuse to load... I wait a
    while and try again and it works. Downloading from the internet via ftp and
    even network computer games all perform perfectly; it's only the http
    webpages that only randomly load on Comp B.

    So, it's the cable right?

    Apparently not. I also installed Win98 temporarily on Comp A. The network
    problems were resolved and I could quickly access internet pages.

    So what's up? I'm perplexed: if it was a Win2K setup problem, surely that
    would block all connectivity not just http (some of the time).

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    --
    Nick

  2. Re: Very Odd Windows 2000 <-> Windows 98 Problem

    Gardner:

    Maybe you should just get a router and connect both to the router.
    There cheap enough. Solve all your networking problems for $40. Cat5
    cross-over cable no needed any longer.

    CM---->ROUTER--------COMP A

    -------------COMP B

    Get all your windows updates, a firewall and have fun.

    Bob

    Gardener wrote:

    >Hello networkers,
    >
    >I'm stumped and I think I'm going to need your collective nous to solve this
    >problem!
    >
    >Computer A runs Win2K, and a home network (using CAT5 cross-over cable) is
    >set up with computer B, which runs Win98. The two computers can see one
    >another in Windows Explorer and file sharing is no problem.
    >
    >Internet <----> CompA <------> CompB
    > Win2K Win98
    >
    >Computer A is connected to the internet via cable modem, and Computer B is
    >set up to access the internet via computer A. However the internet access
    >experienced by B is intermittent. Some webpages refuse to load... I wait a
    >while and try again and it works. Downloading from the internet via ftp and
    >even network computer games all perform perfectly; it's only the http
    >webpages that only randomly load on Comp B.
    >
    >So, it's the cable right?
    >
    >Apparently not. I also installed Win98 temporarily on Comp A. The network
    >problems were resolved and I could quickly access internet pages.
    >
    >So what's up? I'm perplexed: if it was a Win2K setup problem, surely that
    >would block all connectivity not just http (some of the time).
    >
    >Thanks in advance for any help.

  3. Re: Very Odd Windows 2000 <-> Windows 98 Problem

    My diiagram should show both comps coming from the router. On some
    systems its looks different.

    theCoasterPollster wrote:

    > Gardner:
    >
    > Maybe you should just get a router and connect both to the router.
    > There cheap enough. Solve all your networking problems for $40. Cat5
    > cross-over cable no needed any longer.
    >
    > CM---->ROUTER--------COMP A
    > |

    > -------------COMP B
    >
    > Get all your windows updates, a firewall and have fun.
    >
    > Bob

    > Gardener wrote:
    >
    >> Hello networkers,
    >>
    >> I'm stumped and I think I'm going to need your collective nous to
    >> solve this
    >> problem!
    >>
    >> Computer A runs Win2K, and a home network (using CAT5 cross-over
    >> cable) is
    >> set up with computer B, which runs Win98. The two computers can see one
    >> another in Windows Explorer and file sharing is no problem.
    >>
    >> Internet <----> CompA <------> CompB
    >> Win2K Win98
    >>
    >> Computer A is connected to the internet via cable modem, and Computer
    >> B is
    >> set up to access the internet via computer A. However the internet
    >> access
    >> experienced by B is intermittent. Some webpages refuse to load... I
    >> wait a
    >> while and try again and it works. Downloading from the internet via
    >> ftp and
    >> even network computer games all perform perfectly; it's only the http
    >> webpages that only randomly load on Comp B.
    >> So, it's the cable right?
    >>
    >> Apparently not. I also installed Win98 temporarily on Comp A. The
    >> network
    >> problems were resolved and I could quickly access internet pages.
    >>
    >> So what's up? I'm perplexed: if it was a Win2K setup problem, surely
    >> that
    >> would block all connectivity not just http (some of the time).
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for any help.

+ Reply to Thread