Pinging private address returns public address of exchange server - Network

This is a discussion on Pinging private address returns public address of exchange server - Network ; Hi, My network consists of a single NT4 Server with Exchange 5.5 installed. I have one remote client who I want to connect using SonicWall VPN client. The client connects to the Sonic firewall fine but when I try to ...

  1. Pinging private address returns public address of exchange server

    Hi,

    My network consists of a single NT4 Server with Exchange 5.5
    installed. I have one remote client who I want to connect using
    SonicWall VPN client. The client connects to the Sonic firewall fine
    but when I try to ping the private address of the NT4 Server
    (192.168.1.1) the replies come from the public address of the Exchange
    server (193.xxx.xxx.xxx). I can ping the private address of the
    firewall but I can't ping any other device on the private network. The
    result is I can't access and network resources.

    The network uses Wins for resolution and forwards DNS queries to the
    ISP DNS servers.

    Any ideas why this might be?

    Thanks

    ...pc

  2. Re: Pinging private address returns public address of exchange server

    PMC wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > My network consists of a single NT4 Server with Exchange 5.5
    > installed. I have one remote client who I want to connect using
    > SonicWall VPN client. The client connects to the Sonic firewall fine
    > but when I try to ping the private address of the NT4 Server
    > (192.168.1.1) the replies come from the public address of the Exchange
    > server (193.xxx.xxx.xxx). I can ping the private address of the
    > firewall but I can't ping any other device on the private network. The
    > result is I can't access and network resources.
    >
    > The network uses Wins for resolution and forwards DNS queries to the
    > ISP DNS servers.
    >
    > Any ideas why this might be?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > ..pc

    I believe the firewall will NAT the inside IP address for you. Your
    remote client may have a default route that makes it look like you're
    pinging the 192.x.x.x check out the path with tracert

+ Reply to Thread