Problems with browsing windows network - Network

This is a discussion on Problems with browsing windows network - Network ; Hello! Here's my problem: In our office we have network with 10pc's each running on win2k(server or professional) or win server 2003. When certain pc is connected to the network other have problems with browsing the network. All receive the ...

  1. Problems with browsing windows network

    Hello!
    Here's my problem:
    In our office we have network with 10pc's each running on win2k(server
    or professional) or win server 2003. When certain pc is connected to
    the network other have problems with browsing the network. All receive
    the message 'Workgroup is not currently accessible' and windows
    explorer enters in some state in which he waits some timeout and then
    issues the same message again and again... (very annoying). For some
    pc-s the only way to browse the network is to map network drive using
    'net use' command. Some other pc-s may not browse the LAN through My
    Network Places but through the address bar of the Windows Explorer,
    but all pc-s have a problems. When this certain pc is not connected to
    the network everithing's OK! I believe that the problem may be a
    result of a conflict between two pc-s that want to be Master Browsers
    but how can this be solved. Thank you for your suggestions in advance!

  2. Re: Problems with browsing windows network

    Hi,

    What's the Windows version of the conflictive PC? Is Win2003 Server?
    If yes, you should consider install a local domain instead of using
    workgroups, or define a WINS server.

    Good luck,

    Daniel
    Interdesigner Software Development

    http://www.interdesigner.com
    http://www.networkclipboard.com
    http://www.comparatorfast.com
    http://www.shutdowntools.com

    n_milushev@applss.com (Nikolay Milushev) wrote in message news:...
    > Hello!
    > Here's my problem:
    > In our office we have network with 10pc's each running on win2k(server
    > or professional) or win server 2003. When certain pc is connected to
    > the network other have problems with browsing the network. All receive
    > the message 'Workgroup is not currently accessible' and windows
    > explorer enters in some state in which he waits some timeout and then
    > issues the same message again and again... (very annoying). For some
    > pc-s the only way to browse the network is to map network drive using
    > 'net use' command. Some other pc-s may not browse the LAN through My
    > Network Places but through the address bar of the Windows Explorer,
    > but all pc-s have a problems. When this certain pc is not connected to
    > the network everithing's OK! I believe that the problem may be a
    > result of a conflict between two pc-s that want to be Master Browsers
    > but how can this be solved. Thank you for your suggestions in advance!

  3. Re: Problems with browsing windows network

    Nikolay Milushev wrote:
    > Hello!
    > Here's my problem:
    > In our office we have network with 10pc's each running on win2k(server
    > or professional) or win server 2003. When certain pc is connected to
    > the network other have problems with browsing the network. All receive
    > the message 'Workgroup is not currently accessible' and windows
    > explorer enters in some state in which he waits some timeout and then
    > issues the same message again and again... (very annoying). For some
    > pc-s the only way to browse the network is to map network drive using
    > 'net use' command. Some other pc-s may not browse the LAN through My
    > Network Places but through the address bar of the Windows Explorer,
    > but all pc-s have a problems. When this certain pc is not connected to
    > the network everithing's OK! I believe that the problem may be a
    > result of a conflict between two pc-s that want to be Master Browsers
    > but how can this be solved. Thank you for your suggestions in advance!

    Do you use DHCP? Can you monitor the broadcast traffic?

  4. Re: Problems with browsing windows network

    You can force a machine to become master browser or prevent it by editing
    the registry .

    The microsoft
    page...http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...-us/default.as
    p?url=/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/cnet/cnfi_brs_vcer.asp contains the
    following information.

    When you start a computer running Windows 2000, the browser service looks in
    the registry for the entry MaintainServerList to determine whether a
    computer will become a browser. MaintainServerList is found in the following
    registry subkey:
    \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces
    \Browser\Parameters

    Table I.1 shows the values to which MaintainServerList can be set and the
    meaning for the computer's participation in browser services.

    Value Meaning
    No This value prevents the computer from participating as a browser.

    ****************************
    Another entry in the registry, IsDomainMaster, helps determine which servers
    become master browsers and backup browsers. Setting the value of the
    IsDomainMaster entry to True makes the computer a preferred master browser.
    Any computer running Windows 2000 or Windows NT can be configured as a
    preferred master browser.

    When the browser service is started on the preferred master browser, the
    browser service forces an election. Preferred master browsers are given
    priority in elections, which means the preferred master browser always wins
    the election if no other condition prevents it. This gives an administrator
    the ability to configure a specific computer as the master browser.

    To specify a computer as the preferred master browser, set the value of the
    IsDomainMaster entry to True. This entry (data type Reg_SZ) appears in the
    following registry subkey:

    \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces
    \Browser\Parameters

    Unless the computer is configured as the preferred master browser, the value
    of the IsDomainMaster entry is always set to False or No. There is no user
    interface for making these changes; the registry must be modified using a
    registry editor (Regedt32.exe or Regedit.exe).

    ********************

    Hope this helps,

    Keith

    "Nikolay Milushev" wrote in message
    news:a9f9edc2.0407072359.116fb7aa@posting.google.c om...
    > Hello!
    > Here's my problem:
    > In our office we have network with 10pc's each running on win2k(server
    > or professional) or win server 2003. When certain pc is connected to
    > the network other have problems with browsing the network. All receive
    > the message 'Workgroup is not currently accessible' and windows
    > explorer enters in some state in which he waits some timeout and then
    > issues the same message again and again... (very annoying). For some
    > pc-s the only way to browse the network is to map network drive using
    > 'net use' command. Some other pc-s may not browse the LAN through My
    > Network Places but through the address bar of the Windows Explorer,
    > but all pc-s have a problems. When this certain pc is not connected to
    > the network everithing's OK! I believe that the problem may be a
    > result of a conflict between two pc-s that want to be Master Browsers
    > but how can this be solved. Thank you for your suggestions in advance!

  5. Re: Problems with browsing windows network

    > Do you use DHCP? Can you monitor the broadcast traffic?
    No, we use static IP Addresses.

+ Reply to Thread