WIN98 PC - can't connect to IP address of a networked printer - Network

This is a discussion on WIN98 PC - can't connect to IP address of a networked printer - Network ; I'm trying to get a WIN98 PC to connect directly to the IP address of a networked printer. The printer is a Lexmark Optra R. From my XP boxes there is no problem. When I run Lexmark's Print Server Setup ...

  1. WIN98 PC - can't connect to IP address of a networked printer

    I'm trying to get a WIN98 PC to connect directly to the IP address of a
    networked printer.
    The printer is a Lexmark Optra R.
    From my XP boxes there is no problem.

    When I run Lexmark's Print Server Setup Utility, I get the notification
    "Communication failure with the network print server"

    I have tried disabling Bootp and reenabling it through the printer control
    panel.
    My printer has no means to disable DHCP and I can't remember what the other
    protocol was but it's not there either.

    At one point I got a cryptic error message consisting of three numbers . .
    ..

    1004
    3000
    4000
    I have no idea what they mean.

    Lexmark provides a DOS utility to set IP numbers etc. and it also allows the
    increasing of timeout settings.
    I increased the Connection Timeout to 8 sec from 4 and the Transmission
    timeout to 16.

    I went into ""Win.ini and deleted references to prevous attempts at
    installing ports.

    From Printer Properties "Details" there is a Port Settings button.
    After installing the Lexmark software . . . ( Lexmark_Network_en.exe and
    netwn.exe) I finally avoided Window's "nothing to configure" message" and
    was taken to Lexmark screen called "Print Server Settings" .
    This screen showed my correct MAC address for the printer and the
    information tab seemed complete except that there was no entry beside "Host
    Name".
    There was also a button called "reset print server" which when pushed caused
    the printer to go offline so I know its communicating.
    The SNMP traps button took me to a screen where again the host name was not
    entered but where there were two trap destinations listed . . . Listed As .
    .. .
    00: Undefined
    01:Undefined

    Well, that's about all the pertinent information I can think of.
    I would be grateful for some suggestions.

    Thanks,

    JP

  2. Re: WIN98 PC - can't connect to IP address of a networked printer

    Hello,

    Do you have Win98 or Win98SE? Windows 98 Users should install update
    "DCOM 1.3 for Windows 98" if having troubles trying to run modern
    Software (Lexmark configurator). Some modern software have special
    needs for latests Internet Explorer (for libraries) and patchs. If the
    IP connection works in XP, should work in Win98. Double check your IP
    address/gateway settings to be sure are similar to XP settings.

    Hope this helps,

    Daniel
    Interdesigner Software Development

    http://www.interdesigner.com
    http://www.networkclipboard.com
    http://www.comparatorfast.com
    http://www.shutdowntools.com

    "JP" wrote in message news:...
    > I'm trying to get a WIN98 PC to connect directly to the IP address of a
    > networked printer.
    > The printer is a Lexmark Optra R.
    > From my XP boxes there is no problem.
    >
    > When I run Lexmark's Print Server Setup Utility, I get the notification
    > "Communication failure with the network print server"
    >
    > I have tried disabling Bootp and reenabling it through the printer control
    > panel.
    > My printer has no means to disable DHCP and I can't remember what the other
    > protocol was but it's not there either.
    >
    > At one point I got a cryptic error message consisting of three numbers . .
    > .
    >
    > 1004
    > 3000
    > 4000
    > I have no idea what they mean.
    >
    > Lexmark provides a DOS utility to set IP numbers etc. and it also allows the
    > increasing of timeout settings.
    > I increased the Connection Timeout to 8 sec from 4 and the Transmission
    > timeout to 16.
    >
    > I went into ""Win.ini and deleted references to prevous attempts at
    > installing ports.
    >
    > From Printer Properties "Details" there is a Port Settings button.
    > After installing the Lexmark software . . . ( Lexmark_Network_en.exe and
    > netwn.exe) I finally avoided Window's "nothing to configure" message" and
    > was taken to Lexmark screen called "Print Server Settings" .
    > This screen showed my correct MAC address for the printer and the
    > information tab seemed complete except that there was no entry beside "Host
    > Name".
    > There was also a button called "reset print server" which when pushed caused
    > the printer to go offline so I know its communicating.
    > The SNMP traps button took me to a screen where again the host name was not
    > entered but where there were two trap destinations listed . . . Listed As .
    > . .
    > 00: Undefined
    > 01:Undefined
    >
    > Well, that's about all the pertinent information I can think of.
    > I would be grateful for some suggestions.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > JP

  3. Re: WIN98 PC - can't connect to IP address of a networked printer

    Well, its taken a long time to reply.
    I've been busy trying again and again to make it all work.
    It is 98SE and it has the required files from DCOM.

    Part of the time was spent downloading all the update software from Windows
    Update.
    I thought maybe based on your suggestion that there might be a couple of
    things missing from the files but though it was a good idea to grab all the
    latest patches it didn't solve my problem.
    I've heard some mention of HP's direct Jet software and utilities and
    thought I might try playing with that for a while but I don't want to load
    up my registry with a lot of conflicting garbage.
    By the way, I can print to the printer using telnet.
    What do you think?.

    JP

    news:f5f5636e.0407070819.f7ae208@posting.google.co m...

    > > I'm trying to get a WIN98 PC to connect directly to the IP address of a
    > > networked printer.
    > > The printer is a Lexmark Optra R.
    > > From my XP boxes there is no problem.
    > >
    > > When I run Lexmark's Print Server Setup Utility, I get the notification
    > > "Communication failure with the network print server"
    > >
    > > I have tried disabling Bootp and reenabling it through the printer

    control
    > > panel.
    > > My printer has no means to disable DHCP and I can't remember what the

    other
    > > protocol was but it's not there either.
    > >
    > > At one point I got a cryptic error message consisting of three numbers

    .. .
    > > .
    > >
    > > 1004
    > > 3000
    > > 4000
    > > I have no idea what they mean.
    > >
    > > Lexmark provides a DOS utility to set IP numbers etc. and it also allows

    the
    > > increasing of timeout settings.
    > > I increased the Connection Timeout to 8 sec from 4 and the Transmission
    > > timeout to 16.
    > >
    > > I went into ""Win.ini and deleted references to prevous attempts at
    > > installing ports.
    > >
    > > From Printer Properties "Details" there is a Port Settings button.
    > > After installing the Lexmark software . . . ( Lexmark_Network_en.exe and
    > > netwn.exe) I finally avoided Window's "nothing to configure" message"

    and
    > > was taken to Lexmark screen called "Print Server Settings" .
    > > This screen showed my correct MAC address for the printer and the
    > > information tab seemed complete except that there was no entry beside

    "Host
    > > Name".
    > > There was also a button called "reset print server" which when pushed

    caused
    > > the printer to go offline so I know its communicating.
    > > The SNMP traps button took me to a screen where again the host name was

    not
    > > entered but where there were two trap destinations listed . . . Listed

    As .
    > > . .
    > > 00: Undefined
    > > 01:Undefined
    > >
    > > Well, that's about all the pertinent information I can think of.
    > > I would be grateful for some suggestions.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > JP

+ Reply to Thread