Wireless at home, LAN at work - Network

This is a discussion on Wireless at home, LAN at work - Network ; Hi, I am using a wireless router network at my home to access my broadband. I want to be able to connect to the internet at work using my laptop, but I will have to plug in using my rj45 ...

  1. Wireless at home, LAN at work

    Hi, I am using a wireless router network at my home to access my
    broadband. I want to be able to connect to the internet at work using
    my laptop, but I will have to plug in using my rj45 connection. Will
    I just be able to set both up independantly, and use each of them
    without any problem? Or will they interfere with one another and need
    to be reconfigured whenever I move from one location to the other?

    Thanks for your feedback, if you need more information, I will find
    out.

    Cheers again.

  2. Re: Wireless at home, LAN at work

    "Chris" wrote in message
    news:18fafcb2.0407060246.b71c0@posting.google.com. ..
    > Hi, I am using a wireless router network at my home to access my
    > broadband. I want to be able to connect to the internet at work using
    > my laptop, but I will have to plug in using my rj45 connection. Will
    > I just be able to set both up independantly, and use each of them
    > without any problem? Or will they interfere with one another and need
    > to be reconfigured whenever I move from one location to the other?

    In principle, yes you can do it. What you do to accomplish it may depend on
    which OS you have. When set up right, there should be no reconfiguration
    necessary.

    It is best to use DHCP on at least one or even both interfaces. i.e. to get
    an IP address automatically when the interface is connected. Applies best
    to the wireless.
    If you must use static addresses on both, set each interface to have
    different IP addresses if that isn't already the case. But, this could be a
    source of trouble I have found.
    Set the *wired* interface to detect the media if that's available in the OS,
    e.g. ME.
    Only plug in the wireless when you are going to be using it.
    Don't use both at the same time - even as an experiment. It will only
    confuse the issue.

    Use the command line program "route" (the command "route print") to see what
    your computer thinks it's doing. Observe the change in the (usually last)
    line:
    255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 [my IP] [my IP]
    If this line doesn't change from one situation to the other *and* if you
    can't ping out from the laptop then some settings need adjusting - but don't
    do that with the "route" command! Use the OS network settings.

    where [my IP] is something like 192.168.1.17 or..... etc. a private IP
    address in the range of your LAN>

    Fred
    ..

    This may be more restrictive than necessary but it should work. I just
    resolved the same issue on a laptop that had previously worked fine.

  3. Re: Wireless at home, LAN at work

    This all depends on what your NETWORK at WORK. How is it set up.
    MOST busines do not use DHCP (where an IP is assigned automatically).
    Your wireless NIC and your Wired NIC are independant from eachother.
    AT HOME your wireless NIC looks for an IP wirelesslly and gets it from
    the Wireless Router. "IF" your job also uses Wireless w/ no
    encryption you'd ALSO pick up a signal and start browsing away ( i'm
    sure that is not the case).

    You'd have to check the TCP/IP settings at your workstation at work to
    see how it's set up. IF you see in the TCP/IP settings there IS
    indeed a number predefined for you then you'd have to ask your network
    administrator for the right IP/Gateway/DNS Info. IF you use DHCP the
    you can just plug in the RJ45 and browse away my friend.

  4. Re: Wireless at home, LAN at work

    Great, thanks for the replies. There is nothing complicated about
    this set up as I have set it all up myself, my work is myself and
    someone else really. All computers are running XP. So, going on what
    you said I guess there will not really be any problems. I am going to
    go ahead with it and see what happens. Thanks very much for your
    replies, theyre appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread