Strange network device names - Network

This is a discussion on Strange network device names - Network ; hello. I would like ask somewhat perhaps silly. The names of the nowadays network devices are really confusing. While from the text books what learn about what's switch, hubs and router (as I know, switch is a general term of ...

  1. Strange network device names

    hello. I would like ask somewhat perhaps silly. The names of the nowadays
    network devices are really confusing. While from the text books what learn
    about what's switch, hubs and router (as I know, switch is a general term of
    hubs and routers, right?), but those commercial products are now called
    switching hub, broadband router ... etc.... so who is right and who is
    wrong?

    And I want to know what's the difference between broadband router and legacy
    router. The sales told me that broadband router knows about how to "dial-up"
    to the DSL ISP and share the network to the clients. So I really want to
    know how does IP works in this case. Does broadband router acts as a DHCP
    itself so that the directly connected clients are just behind a NAT service
    for the "broadband sharing" purpose? if not so, how does it works?

  2. Re: Strange network device names

    It really all is Marketing Technogobble. A router is a router is
    arouter is a router.

    A broadband router like you say is really almost every technology in
    one.

    It is a
    Router, Firewall, NAT/PAT, DHCP.... IT's all that good stuff.

    Seems you know what most the stuff is.

    A router speeks in IP ADDRESSes
    a Switch speaks in MAC addresses
    a Hub speaks i guess just electrec signal pulses what ever you want to
    call it.
    NAT is basically 1 public ip to many private IPs,
    DHCP just gives an ip to the asking host.

    All these techologies are in the broadband routers. It's really all
    marketing..

    Just like There are LAYER3 Switches. there is NO such thing. LAYER 3
    is a router and switches operate at layer 2. TECHNO BABBLE MUMBO
    JUMBO.

  3. Re: Strange network device names

    Any time.

+ Reply to Thread