Remote Desktop behind a NAT - Network

This is a discussion on Remote Desktop behind a NAT - Network ; Hello All, I have a home network at the house. I have 3 computers on it all of which have Remote Desktop setup. 2 are running Pro and my laptop is running XP Home. I can connect to all of ...

  1. Remote Desktop behind a NAT

    Hello All,

    I have a home network at the house. I have 3 computers on it all of
    which have Remote Desktop setup. 2 are running Pro and my laptop is
    running XP Home. I can connect to all of the computers from any
    computer within the LAN just fine via Remote Desktop. However, from
    outside the LAN (at a friend's house for instance), I cannot connect.

    I'm trying to connect using the WAN IP address of the my router. I
    have setup the router to forward TCP over port 3389 to my laptop,
    which has a static IP outside the DHCP range.

    Whenever I try to connect, it says something like the connection could
    not be found or something like that. I'm at my wit's end, ideas?

  2. Re: Remote Desktop behind a NAT

    Laker64@hotmail.com (Telconstar99) wrote in message news:...
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I have a home network at the house. I have 3 computers on it all of
    > which have Remote Desktop setup. 2 are running Pro and my laptop is
    > running XP Home. I can connect to all of the computers from any
    > computer within the LAN just fine via Remote Desktop. However, from
    > outside the LAN (at a friend's house for instance), I cannot connect.
    >
    > I'm trying to connect using the WAN IP address of the my router. I
    > have setup the router to forward TCP over port 3389 to my laptop,
    > which has a static IP outside the DHCP range.
    >
    > Whenever I try to connect, it says something like the connection could
    > not be found or something like that. I'm at my wit's end, ideas?

    Solution found! It works fine on Pro, but not on Home. Why is this? In
    the Remote tab located in the System Properties, I have Remote Desktop
    enabled. What's the problem? Is Home not allowed to accept Remote
    Desktop Connections? If not, why do I have the option to set it?
    Thanks!

  3. Re: Remote Desktop behind a NAT

    news:de013cf8.0407020051.21283193@posting.google.c om...

    > > Hello All,
    > >
    > > I have a home network at the house. I have 3 computers on it all of
    > > which have Remote Desktop setup. 2 are running Pro and my laptop is
    > > running XP Home. I can connect to all of the computers from any
    > > computer within the LAN just fine via Remote Desktop. However, from
    > > outside the LAN (at a friend's house for instance), I cannot connect.
    > >
    > > I'm trying to connect using the WAN IP address of the my router. I
    > > have setup the router to forward TCP over port 3389 to my laptop,
    > > which has a static IP outside the DHCP range.
    > >
    > > Whenever I try to connect, it says something like the connection could
    > > not be found or something like that. I'm at my wit's end, ideas?

    > Solution found! It works fine on Pro, but not on Home. Why is this? In
    > the Remote tab located in the System Properties, I have Remote Desktop
    > enabled. What's the problem? Is Home not allowed to accept Remote
    > Desktop Connections? If not, why do I have the option to set it?
    > Thanks!

    Windows XP Home does not have Remote Desktop.

    --Adam

  4. Re: Remote Desktop behind a NAT

    > Windows XP Home does not have Remote Desktop.
    >
    > --Adam

    Well I suppose that would explain that.

    However, in the Systems Properties under the "Remote" tab, I have this
    checkbox option:

    "Allow Remote Assistance Invitations to be sent from this computer"

    If I select an advanced box, I even have this option:

    "Allow this computer to be controlled remotely"

    I even have the option to control how many days an invitation can
    remain open. So if I have all these options, it seems like Remote
    Desktop is enabled. Yes I can't connect to it from outside my LAN.
    Why?

  5. Re: Remote Desktop behind a NAT

    "Telconstar99" wrote in message
    news:de013cf8.0407021049.535ee22d@posting.google.c om...
    > > Windows XP Home does not have Remote Desktop.
    > >
    > > --Adam

    > Well I suppose that would explain that.
    >
    > However, in the Systems Properties under the "Remote" tab, I have this
    > checkbox option:
    >
    > "Allow Remote Assistance Invitations to be sent from this computer"
    >
    > If I select an advanced box, I even have this option:
    >
    > "Allow this computer to be controlled remotely"
    >
    > I even have the option to control how many days an invitation can
    > remain open. So if I have all these options, it seems like Remote
    > Desktop is enabled. Yes I can't connect to it from outside my LAN.
    > Why?

    True, and the truth is, I've never used remote invitations. But, I gather
    one of two options:
    a) there is a difference between the two, which I have yet to figure out
    (never bothered researching it)
    b) MS messed up when they didn't remove that menu.

  6. Re: Remote Desktop behind a NAT

    i've had that same problem, and actually still do... :-(

    so how DO i connect with NAT enabled to a remote desktop ?

    jeroen

    "Adam Steiner" wrote in message
    news:02b7bbf5fc26c0c0c84a4e49b040e61d@news.teranew s.com...

    > "Telconstar99" wrote in message
    > news:de013cf8.0407021049.535ee22d@posting.google.c om...
    > > > Windows XP Home does not have Remote Desktop.
    > > >
    > > > --Adam

    > > Well I suppose that would explain that.
    > >
    > > However, in the Systems Properties under the "Remote" tab, I have this
    > > checkbox option:
    > >
    > > "Allow Remote Assistance Invitations to be sent from this computer"
    > >
    > > If I select an advanced box, I even have this option:
    > >
    > > "Allow this computer to be controlled remotely"
    > >
    > > I even have the option to control how many days an invitation can
    > > remain open. So if I have all these options, it seems like Remote
    > > Desktop is enabled. Yes I can't connect to it from outside my LAN.
    > > Why?

    > True, and the truth is, I've never used remote invitations. But, I gather
    > one of two options:
    > a) there is a difference between the two, which I have yet to figure out
    > (never bothered researching it)
    > b) MS messed up when they didn't remove that menu.

+ Reply to Thread