network problems... - Network

This is a discussion on network problems... - Network ; Hi, I have quite large knowledge of computers, repairs, diagnostics etc. but when it comes to networking, I'm new to the whole game. So when an old friend contacted me last week to link his two computers together I thought ...

  1. network problems...

    Hi, I have quite large knowledge of computers, repairs, diagnostics etc. but
    when it comes to networking, I'm new to the whole game. So when an old
    friend contacted me last week to link his two computers together I thought
    "why not, the best way to learn is hands on" ...plus I needed the cash lol.

    Both systems are windows 98se Intel Pentium II (cant recall the cpu MHz
    sorry)
    526mb ram and 10Gb HDD
    They are *tries to remember* 3com 10Mb Ethernet cards

    I followed all the instructions given by windows help file (but since when
    have these of been of any great help?)

    Computer one is set to "SERVER" and computer two is "OFFICE" both have the
    workgroup name, "LOTUS"

    After following all the instructions I restarted as prompted, etc etc.
    Logged into the network, opened NN viewed entire network, and all that's
    there is the computer I'm currently using. Basically they can't find
    eachother at all.

    Could it be that the Ethernet cable is not cross over? I'm not entirely sure
    what it is because my friend just gave it to me without knowing himself. Is
    there anyway of knowing from looking at the cable itself? of am I just best
    getting a cross over cable and hoping for the best?

    My suspicions tell me its because the cable might not be cross over. But as
    I say im new to networking and this is my first attempt.

    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    Kind Regards,

    Paul

  2. Re: network problems...

    Paul,
    First off, do these Network card have little green status lights - if
    so, one should be labeled "link" or such. Do these light up, if not tells
    you bad cable (media) from the get go. One thing you can do is take the
    cable and hold up both ends next to each other if all wires are in same
    order or reversed (depends how you're holding 'em) it's not a crossover
    cable. I assume from your obvious omission that you're not using a hub or
    router, if not, you need a crossover cable.

    Also, I'm assuming you have the respective drivers for these cards
    installed, and the appropriate windows network components.

    Hope this helps,
    Will

    "Paul" wrote in message
    > Hi, I have quite large knowledge of computers, repairs, diagnostics etc.

    but
    > when it comes to networking, I'm new to the whole game. So when an old
    > friend contacted me last week to link his two computers together I thought
    > "why not, the best way to learn is hands on" ...plus I needed the cash

    lol.

    > Both systems are windows 98se Intel Pentium II (cant recall the cpu MHz
    > sorry)
    > 526mb ram and 10Gb HDD
    > They are *tries to remember* 3com 10Mb Ethernet cards
    >
    > I followed all the instructions given by windows help file (but since when
    > have these of been of any great help?)
    >
    > Computer one is set to "SERVER" and computer two is "OFFICE" both have

    the
    > workgroup name, "LOTUS"
    >
    > After following all the instructions I restarted as prompted, etc etc.
    > Logged into the network, opened NN viewed entire network, and all that's
    > there is the computer I'm currently using. Basically they can't find
    > eachother at all.
    >
    > Could it be that the Ethernet cable is not cross over? I'm not entirely

    sure
    > what it is because my friend just gave it to me without knowing himself.

    Is
    > there anyway of knowing from looking at the cable itself? of am I just

    best
    > getting a cross over cable and hoping for the best?
    >
    > My suspicions tell me its because the cable might not be cross over. But

    as
    > I say im new to networking and this is my first attempt.
    >
    > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Kind Regards,
    >
    > Paul

  3. Re: network problems...

    One end will be wired 568B and the other end 568A for a cross-over cable.

    568B = "white-orange orange, white-green, blue, white-blue, green,
    white-brown, brown"

    568A ... ah heck here it is: http://www.lanshack.com/make-cat5E.asp I know
    it starts with white-green, green. The oranges and the greens swap with each
    other, pins 1-2 and 3-6. (TX+ - TX-, RX+ - RX-).

    Basically with a cross-over you are making the TX - Transmitter talk to the
    RX - Receiver of the other network card, whereas in a Hub or Switch
    situation that is handled internally for you. Some switches/hubs even have a
    switch built in to do the conversion for you, some even do this
    automatically for you.

    You should get a LINK light on the network adaptors, and if on a switch/hub
    you should get a port light for those connections. But that isn't a definate
    guarantee that things were wired correctly or solidly. It is however usually
    a good sign.

    If you're going to make a lot of cables (or fix broken ones) get yourself a
    crimp tool such as the ones made by Ideal company.

    If you've got TCP/IP loaded on two machines, and have assigned them IP
    Addresses on the same LAN segment, (Usually meaning the first 3 octets of
    the IP Address match, but this can get more complicated depending on what
    Network/Sub-network Mask you use. For small networks sticking with /24 or
    255.255.255.0 will keep things simpler for you. The you get a network of
    X.X.X.0 with broadcast traffic on X.X.X.255 and hosts from X.X.X.1 to
    X.X.X.254.) then you should be able to "ping" the other ip address(es) on
    the LAN. If you've got a gateway router, you should be able to ping outside.
    If this all works, then Windows sharing should work. If not you need a
    Comp.Windows.Networking type of newsgroup to help. (Next week you can do a
    Windows Domain Controller) ;-)

    With larger networks (say you were an ISP) you can aggregate (SuperNet) or
    subnet with variable-lenght-subnet masks (VLSM) using newer CIDR formats. If
    you've got a larger incoming route to say 4 /24's (which is a /22) then you
    can use all of the middle two /24's (0-255) and the bottom of the 1st one
    (.255) and the top of the last one (.0). That's pretty cool I think. Even
    cooler, if you use NAT and RFC-1918 addresses you can scarf all the /24's
    you want. They won't go anywhere anyway (not routeable on Internet) ...
    unless they are masqueraded using NAT to a real routeable Internet Address.
    (most broadband router boxes do this these days, as does Windows and Linux).

    --
    Alan Spicer (a_spicer@bellsouth.net)
    Systems, Networks, Telecommunications

    "Paul" wrote in message
    > Hi, I have quite large knowledge of computers, repairs, diagnostics etc.

    but
    > when it comes to networking, I'm new to the whole game. So when an old
    > friend contacted me last week to link his two computers together I thought
    > "why not, the best way to learn is hands on" ...plus I needed the cash

    lol.

    > Both systems are windows 98se Intel Pentium II (cant recall the cpu MHz
    > sorry)
    > 526mb ram and 10Gb HDD
    > They are *tries to remember* 3com 10Mb Ethernet cards
    >
    > I followed all the instructions given by windows help file (but since when
    > have these of been of any great help?)
    >
    > Computer one is set to "SERVER" and computer two is "OFFICE" both have

    the
    > workgroup name, "LOTUS"
    >
    > After following all the instructions I restarted as prompted, etc etc.
    > Logged into the network, opened NN viewed entire network, and all that's
    > there is the computer I'm currently using. Basically they can't find
    > eachother at all.
    >
    > Could it be that the Ethernet cable is not cross over? I'm not entirely

    sure
    > what it is because my friend just gave it to me without knowing himself.

    Is
    > there anyway of knowing from looking at the cable itself? of am I just

    best
    > getting a cross over cable and hoping for the best?
    >
    > My suspicions tell me its because the cable might not be cross over. But

    as
    > I say im new to networking and this is my first attempt.
    >
    > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Kind Regards,
    >
    > Paul

  4. Re: network problems...

    Test

    "Paul" wrote in message
    > Hi, I have quite large knowledge of computers, repairs, diagnostics etc.

    but
    > when it comes to networking, I'm new to the whole game. So when an old
    > friend contacted me last week to link his two computers together I thought
    > "why not, the best way to learn is hands on" ...plus I needed the cash

    lol.

    > Both systems are windows 98se Intel Pentium II (cant recall the cpu MHz
    > sorry)
    > 526mb ram and 10Gb HDD
    > They are *tries to remember* 3com 10Mb Ethernet cards
    >
    > I followed all the instructions given by windows help file (but since when
    > have these of been of any great help?)
    >
    > Computer one is set to "SERVER" and computer two is "OFFICE" both have

    the
    > workgroup name, "LOTUS"
    >
    > After following all the instructions I restarted as prompted, etc etc.
    > Logged into the network, opened NN viewed entire network, and all that's
    > there is the computer I'm currently using. Basically they can't find
    > eachother at all.
    >
    > Could it be that the Ethernet cable is not cross over? I'm not entirely

    sure
    > what it is because my friend just gave it to me without knowing himself.

    Is
    > there anyway of knowing from looking at the cable itself? of am I just

    best
    > getting a cross over cable and hoping for the best?
    >
    > My suspicions tell me its because the cable might not be cross over. But

    as
    > I say im new to networking and this is my first attempt.
    >
    > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Kind Regards,
    >
    > Paul

  5. Re: network problems...

    test

    "Paul" wrote in message
    > Hi, I have quite large knowledge of computers, repairs, diagnostics etc.

    but
    > when it comes to networking, I'm new to the whole game. So when an old
    > friend contacted me last week to link his two computers together I thought
    > "why not, the best way to learn is hands on" ...plus I needed the cash

    lol.

    > Both systems are windows 98se Intel Pentium II (cant recall the cpu MHz
    > sorry)
    > 526mb ram and 10Gb HDD
    > They are *tries to remember* 3com 10Mb Ethernet cards
    >
    > I followed all the instructions given by windows help file (but since when
    > have these of been of any great help?)
    >
    > Computer one is set to "SERVER" and computer two is "OFFICE" both have

    the
    > workgroup name, "LOTUS"
    >
    > After following all the instructions I restarted as prompted, etc etc.
    > Logged into the network, opened NN viewed entire network, and all that's
    > there is the computer I'm currently using. Basically they can't find
    > eachother at all.
    >
    > Could it be that the Ethernet cable is not cross over? I'm not entirely

    sure
    > what it is because my friend just gave it to me without knowing himself.

    Is
    > there anyway of knowing from looking at the cable itself? of am I just

    best
    > getting a cross over cable and hoping for the best?
    >
    > My suspicions tell me its because the cable might not be cross over. But

    as
    > I say im new to networking and this is my first attempt.
    >
    > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Kind Regards,
    >
    > Paul

  6. Re: network problems...

    "Paul" wrote in message
    > Hi, I have quite large knowledge of computers, repairs, diagnostics etc.

    but
    > when it comes to networking, I'm new to the whole game. So when an old
    > friend contacted me last week to link his two computers together I thought
    > "why not, the best way to learn is hands on" ...plus I needed the cash

    lol.

    > Both systems are windows 98se Intel Pentium II (cant recall the cpu MHz
    > sorry)
    > 526mb ram and 10Gb HDD
    > They are *tries to remember* 3com 10Mb Ethernet cards
    >
    > I followed all the instructions given by windows help file (but since when
    > have these of been of any great help?)
    >
    > Computer one is set to "SERVER" and computer two is "OFFICE" both have

    the
    > workgroup name, "LOTUS"
    >
    > After following all the instructions I restarted as prompted, etc etc.
    > Logged into the network, opened NN viewed entire network, and all that's
    > there is the computer I'm currently using. Basically they can't find
    > eachother at all.
    >
    > Could it be that the Ethernet cable is not cross over? I'm not entirely

    sure
    > what it is because my friend just gave it to me without knowing himself.

    Is
    > there anyway of knowing from looking at the cable itself? of am I just

    best
    > getting a cross over cable and hoping for the best?
    >
    > My suspicions tell me its because the cable might not be cross over. But

    as
    > I say im new to networking and this is my first attempt.
    >
    > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Kind Regards,
    >
    > Paul

+ Reply to Thread