firewall + proxy server - Network

This is a discussion on firewall + proxy server - Network ; Hi I am looking for a firewall + proxy server. I am running a Windows 2K domain, with AD. I know ISA can do this, but I do not want to have any client SW (like what ISA do) I ...

  1. firewall + proxy server

    Hi
    I am looking for a firewall + proxy server. I am running a Windows 2K
    domain, with AD.

    I know ISA can do this, but I do not want to have any client SW (like
    what ISA do)

    I need the proxy server to work well with AD, so that I can provide
    access for users to web based on the user name or groups.

    Any suggestions are welcome.

    Thank you in advance.

    Regards
    George

  2. Re: firewall + proxy server

    On 26 Jun 2004 08:06:13 -0700, gijigeorge@hotmail.com (Giji George) wrote:

    >I know ISA can do this, but I do not want to have any client SW (like
    >what ISA do)

    Just use ISA as a proxy server and packet filtering firewall then.

    Loathe as I am so say it, ISA 2004 is rather impressive.

    >I need the proxy server to work well with AD, so that I can provide
    >access for users to web based on the user name or groups.

    ISA will do that as will squid.

    greg

    --
    Konnt ihr mich horen?
    Konnt ihr mich sehen?

  3. Re: firewall + proxy server

    ISA all the way my friend. Thousands and Thousands of people don't
    want to use this because they just don't understand or know how to
    configure this. If configured properly this is the BEST choice,
    considering your network configuration with AD and all.

  4. Re: firewall + proxy server

    Hi all
    Thank you for all the advice. Though, I find ISA a good option, I am
    looking for an alternative SW that runs on Windows.

    However, I would like to try ISA. Could any of you can tell me web
    page which JUST says what I should do to make it secure.

    Your reply is highly appreciated.

    Regards
    George

  5. Re: firewall + proxy server

    A Proxy server on a Microsoft box is a joke......period

    Giji George wrote:
    > Hi all
    > Thank you for all the advice. Though, I find ISA a good option, I am
    > looking for an alternative SW that runs on Windows.
    >
    > However, I would like to try ISA. Could any of you can tell me web
    > page which JUST says what I should do to make it secure.
    >
    > Your reply is highly appreciated.
    >
    > Regards
    > George

  6. Re: firewall + proxy server

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 01:46:19 GMT, Justin spoketh

    >A Proxy server on a Microsoft box is a joke......period

    Really? And why is that?

    Lars M. Hansen
    http://www.hansenonline.net

  7. Re: firewall + proxy server

    "Lars M. Hansen" wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 01:46:19 GMT, Justin spoketh
    >
    > >A Proxy server on a Microsoft box is a joke......period

    > Really? And why is that?

    I wonder about that, too. I have used e.g. Apache and WinGate without
    noticing any particular laughter.

    Follow-ups narrowed.

    Thor

    --
    http://www.anta.net/

  8. Re: firewall + proxy server

    You can expect a comment like that from a person who has no idea what
    he is talking about. ISA SERVER is NO joke. There just isnt people
    with the enough knowledge to properly understand and configure ISA.
    IF properly designed and configured it is an excellent sollution.

+ Reply to Thread