Linksys WRT54G - Network

This is a discussion on Linksys WRT54G - Network ; I noticed there are a lot of threads dealing with problems with this router. I have had pretty goo luck with it but I do have one question. Has anyone fooled with the antennas to improve its range. I live ...

  1. Linksys WRT54G

    I noticed there are a lot of threads dealing with problems with this
    router. I have had pretty goo luck with it but I do have one question.
    Has anyone fooled with the antennas to improve its range. I live in a
    townhome with concrete slab floors. I think it affects my reception. I
    have positioned the router in the most efficient place but the
    reception is good and bad. Anyone have any ideas to improve this.

  2. Re: Linksys WRT54G

    There is more interferance in a wireless network than you think. That
    includes framingof the house, cell phones, home phones, water beds
    youname it.

    With that said n done not only CAN you mess around with the antenna on
    that uni but you should try (if you havent already) changing the
    channels of communication on the wireless router.

  3. Re: Linksys WRT54G

    A company called SVEASOFT has after-market firmware for the WRT54G lets you
    do things like increase the power level and change the antenna usage, and
    much more. $20.00 a year for access to their latest firmware loads.

    You might want to try external antenna as well, the stock antennas have very
    low gain (if any at all?)

    Also adds something called WDS - Wireless Distribution System. I used this
    on a large yacht job to increase the wireless range. Of course that uses
    some of the bandwidth to do that, but at 54 Mb/s who cares? We had this
    yacht on DirecWay Satellite (when in the dock) on one end (one WRT54G) and
    on SeaTel ocean going Satellite on the other end (the other WRT54G). Both
    had the same gateway, like 192.168.0.1, so whichever one was turned on (the
    DirecWay or the Seatel) worked as the gateway for all computers.

    He had a few problems awhile back, I had him on an original version of the
    SVEASOFT firmware. I had him upgrade to a newer version. Most of his
    problems I think stem from power glitches when they get underway and
    throttle between shore power and ships generator power. He's defaulted the
    boxes at least once and re-configured, but now he hasn't called me in a few
    months ... I checked with him recently and everything is working ok for him.

    I've seen my WRT54G's do some weird things. When I used it directly to make
    my PPPoE DSL connection it didn't seem to let me go to certain sites. I
    never did figure out why, and I'm a networking guy. I usually use my main PC
    as the connection and router anyway ... and the WRT54G's are behind it.

    I, myself (and company) are looking for a way to share 802.11 HotSpot
    Internet with a mobile platform such as a boat in one box. I tried the
    Client mode in the WRT54G's but it seemed flakey to me. Maybe I wasn't doing
    something right. Or maybe they were too close together (a few feet apart)
    during my testing, on the same exact channel. But they have to be on the
    same channel to communicate.

    --
    Alan Spicer (a_spicer@bellsouth.net)
    Systems, Networks, Telecommunications

    "Stephen" wrote in message
    news:62275fa8.0406251023.3575da46@posting.google.c om...
    > I noticed there are a lot of threads dealing with problems with this
    > router. I have had pretty goo luck with it but I do have one question.
    > Has anyone fooled with the antennas to improve its range. I live in a
    > townhome with concrete slab floors. I think it affects my reception. I
    > have positioned the router in the most efficient place but the
    > reception is good and bad. Anyone have any ideas to improve this.

+ Reply to Thread