can't print to windows 98 machine being used as print server attached with USB port from XP machine on my home network - Network

This is a discussion on can't print to windows 98 machine being used as print server attached with USB port from XP machine on my home network - Network ; The home network i have setup up is using a windows 98 machine as a print server. i have two printers attached to it, one via the parallel port (LPT1) and the other via a USB port. I am running ...

  1. can't print to windows 98 machine being used as print server attached with USB port from XP machine on my home network

    The home network i have setup up is using a windows 98 machine as a
    print server. i have two printers attached to it, one via the
    parallel port (LPT1) and the other via a USB port. I am running
    windows 98SE on the machine I am sharing the printers from and XP and
    2000 on two other machines ont he network. I can see both printers
    via my network neighborhood but am unable to print to the printer
    attached to the USB port. The printer attached to the parallel port
    prints just fine both locally and via the network.

    the printer attached to the USB port is an Lexmark 1100 series
    the printer attached to the parallel is an Hp laserjet and works fine

    I have tried installing a new PCI card with USB 2.0 and tried printing
    that way and am still not able. i am able to print directly from the
    machine, just not over the network.

    there might be some incapability issues with the drivers as i am
    trying to print to a 98 machine from an xp machine, but i went to the
    lexmark website and downloaded the appropriate drivers. i am also
    able to print regularly so i am stumped.

    windows error message is that there is a problem with current printer
    setup. i am also unable to print a test page over the network but can
    do so on the machine locally.

    any help would be muc appreciated. thanks.

  2. Re: can't print to windows 98 machine being used as print server attached with USB port from XP machine on my home network

    Am an HP printer user. Know when I share them, USB or parallel connection,
    the PC seeking use must be using pseudo-driver package for the OS its using.
    Am sharing both to a ME PC and XP HE notebook on home network.
    "SteveSanders" wrote in message
    news:f09cdaaa.0406032001.5941b7e2@posting.google.c om...
    > The home network i have setup up is using a windows 98 machine as a
    > print server. i have two printers attached to it, one via the
    > parallel port (LPT1) and the other via a USB port. I am running
    > windows 98SE on the machine I am sharing the printers from and XP and
    > 2000 on two other machines ont he network. I can see both printers
    > via my network neighborhood but am unable to print to the printer
    > attached to the USB port. The printer attached to the parallel port
    > prints just fine both locally and via the network.
    >
    > the printer attached to the USB port is an Lexmark 1100 series
    > the printer attached to the parallel is an Hp laserjet and works fine
    >
    > I have tried installing a new PCI card with USB 2.0 and tried printing
    > that way and am still not able. i am able to print directly from the
    > machine, just not over the network.
    >
    > there might be some incapability issues with the drivers as i am
    > trying to print to a 98 machine from an xp machine, but i went to the
    > lexmark website and downloaded the appropriate drivers. i am also
    > able to print regularly so i am stumped.
    >
    > windows error message is that there is a problem with current printer
    > setup. i am also unable to print a test page over the network but can
    > do so on the machine locally.
    >
    > any help would be muc appreciated. thanks.

+ Reply to Thread