Multiple IP/Router question - Network

This is a discussion on Multiple IP/Router question - Network ; I'm out of my league and need some help. I hosts multiple domains for 5 clients on my LAN using one IP address and one physical web server. I use a standard Linksys 4 port wired cable router. One of ...

  1. Multiple IP/Router question

    I'm out of my league and need some help. I hosts multiple domains for 5
    clients on my LAN using one IP address and one physical web server. I
    use a standard Linksys 4 port wired cable router. One of my clients
    currently has an SSL connection to one of its host names. A second
    client has requested an SSL connection. I was informed by the issuer of
    the security certificates that I need separate IP addresses so I arranged
    to have my provider issue 5 IP addresses to me (xxx.xxx.xxx.194 -
    xxx.xxx.xxx.198).

    My problem is having the router assign multiple IP addresses to the same
    port (in this case 443). A single Linksys router won't do it and though
    I hear Cicso has routers to handle this, they are well out of my budget
    for now.

    Would buying a second Linksys router and assigning the two IP addresses
    from each router work? Thanks.

    Internet

    |<--- (Default Gateway) xxx.xxx.xxx.193

    HUB

    _______________|______________
    | |
    | |
    | |
    ROUTER ROUTER
    xxx.xxx.xxx.194 xxx.xxx.xxx.195 ..
    | |
    | |
    | |
    | |
    | |
    | |
    | |
    |____________________________|

    WEBSERVER

  2. Re: Multiple IP/Router question

    If I am understanding you correctly you have all the neccesary
    hardware.
    Disable the DHCP function on your router. By disabling DHCP your 4
    machines connected to the router will now grab IP's from your ISP
    itself. Understand now you will be exposed to the internet. Your 4
    machines are not NATed. Make sure you are only running services on
    your servers that you absolutly need, just barely enough to perform
    its function. Update all patches, hotfixes, and service packs.
    Personal firewalls on EACH machine wouldnt hurt either, and if you
    really want to go this far, throw in an IDS Software to monitor any
    illegal activity.

    Big Mo

+ Reply to Thread